OK... I Admit It.... I'm Cheating.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I suppose some might have been wondering what was up with all my questions about Western buildings and N scale people.

Had a garage sale a few weeks ago and got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Sold off a bunch of old speakers, power amps and a mixing board that I wasn't using and got a really nice check as a result.

Since I had that Athearn passenger set lying around from the fiasco with my buddy, guess where the money went?

:D

Wife told me I had to go smaller this time than the 3x6 Scenic Ridge. :(

Spent more money but we came to a compromise and I landed an unpainted Terrains for Trains layout from Product Zoo/ American Plastics and a track pack with remote switches on the way. 2-1/2 x 4 ft. If I go any smaller I'll have a 2x3 loop.... :rolleyes:

Here's pics of the layout sans paint and track plus a few of the buildings in various states of completion.

Attachments

• Layout001.jpg
    Layout001.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 24
  • Layout002.jpg
    Layout002.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 22

UP SD40-2

Cannonball:wav: , i wouldn't really call that cheating, you will be adding your own touches to it:winki: . the IMPORTANT THING IS, at least its a size that your wife can live with, and hey, YOUR MODEL RRING AGAIN!:thumb::mrgreen: .

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Cheating??? LOL so what if you have your benchwork "out of the box" :) :D :) We want to see what you do with it now.. :) :)

Take pics as you go along! We'll be watching and waiting :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Take pics as you go along!

I will be.
Not sure how often I will get in to post them but I will keep a running log on my computer to update when I get the chance.

My buildings are about 1/2 done and I've got several trees already made. Woodland Scenic pigment has been bought for dying the mountains along with two shades of rough turf and bushes. I'm thinking about getting some tunnel portals to put over the molded ones just for a little more realism.

There's also a container of ballast waiting for some track to go on. If there's one part of this I"m not looking forward to, it's the track ballasting.

I need to figure out a good way to do dirt roads.....

nkp174

Gee Canonball, that looks like a certain, famous model railroad....

trackplan.jpg

beginings.jpg

early2.jpg

All 3 pictures from: http://www.gdlines.com/

BobGui

That color is going to leave a lasting impression on my retina's for the next little while yet. Takes me back 15 years ago to when my son was in diapers.

Neat design but got a question as I'm not familiar with these types of bases. Is the back or bottom of the layout left open for access or how do you lay the track? Also, what is it made out of. Looks like plastic but could just be the color.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
That color is going to leave a lasting impression on my retina's for the next little while yet. Takes me back 15 years ago to when my son was in diapers.

Neat design but got a question as I'm not familiar with these types of bases. Is the back or bottom of the layout left open for access or how do you lay the track? Also, what is it made out of. Looks like plastic but could just be the color.

It's made from polystyrene.
There is a separate piece on the inside that is molded with the inclines and there are openings in the back to have access in case of derailments or crashes.

Here is the website of the manufacturer: http://www.terrainfortrains.com

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
2 or 3 bottles of honeycomb will cure that wonderful color of layout.

Jeeze, guys!
Don't worry! It's going to get painted! sign1

On a sadder note, I paid an extra 35 dollars to have the guy build my trestle bridge and UPS destroyed it. I tried to take it apart and rebuild it from scratch but only broke more pieces and made matters worse. I'd call the guy about a refund but we would never get a claim out of UPS now that I tinkered with it. :(

I think I'm going to get a couple more truss bridges and hook them together. The two that were sent for the front of the layout just fit the span over the back canyon where the trestle bridge would go. The supports from the trestle bridge look enough like steel girders that I can paint them and use them for supports on the truss bridges.

BobGui

Just got back from that site. All I can say is "neat". Sorry to hear about the trestlebut part of the fun is making things work when stuff goes wrong.

Keep us up to date with pictures please and thanks.

Hoghead

I suppose some might have been wondering what was up with all my questions about Western buildings and N scale people.

Had a garage sale a few weeks ago and got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Sold off a bunch of old speakers, power amps and a mixing board that I wasn't using and got a really nice check as a result.

Since I had that Athearn passenger set lying around from the fiasco with my buddy, guess where the money went?

:D

Wife told me I had to go smaller this time than the 3x6 Scenic Ridge. :(

Spent more money but we came to a compromise and I landed an unpainted Terrains for Trains layout from Product Zoo/ American Plastics and a track pack with remote switches on the way. 2-1/2 x 4 ft. If I go any smaller I'll have a 2x3 loop.... :rolleyes:

Here's pics of the layout sans paint and track plus a few of the buildings in various states of completion.
You did better than me, I bought the one already painted! The one thing I did find with it is that you can spend more time detailing it. I have had mine for the last 5 years. I plan on selling it on EBay soon though. I model the DRG&W and my fleets of freight cars and engines has grown so I plan on building a larger layout to accomodate the larger trains.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
You did better than me, I bought the one already painted! The one thing I did find with it is that you can spend more time detailing it. I have had mine for the last 5 years. I plan on selling it on EBay soon though. I model the DRG&W and my fleets of freight cars and engines has grown so I plan on building a larger layout to accomodate the larger trains.

When you got yours, how well did the inside tray line up?
I suppose being already painted they had trimmed up everything nice and neat but the unpainted one is going to take some work.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
First coat of paint on the limestone in the mountains.
It's a mix of Yellow Ocher and Burnt Umber.
Once it's dry, I'll hit it with a coat of flat clear.
I have a darker shade of mostly Burnt Umber with a touch of Yellow Ocher I pre-mixed and thinned down to rub into the cracks and crevices for weathering and more natural earthy tones.

The great thing about the painting part is I can slap it pretty much anywhere and know it's OK because the mistakes will get covered up with rough turf and bushes later. :D

The pic is dark because I cranked the contrast so you can really see where I slopped the paint.

Attachments

• FirstCoat.jpg
    FirstCoat.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14
ok, now you guys have me looking into getting one of these kits, but dang they are kinda pricey.... and not even coming with anything . just molded base. no track or anything.