not enough time to build in paper these days - shifted my love for building stuff to lego for a bit

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@snowmanX : Getting incomplete kits for cheap and using parts from others are the way to go. Often LEGO sets become so expensive after a short period of time that it is almost impossible to get a certain kit. Especially when you are an actual builder and not a MINT collector. Some kits command insane prices, oh boy! I have the Galaxy Explorer that I was able to disassemble and then assemble blind-folded. I loved playing with it. It even has a little buggy in its cargo hold. There are so many fond memories about that kit that I will never let it go. :)

497-1.jpg

@spaceagent-9 : This picture got me thinking. Models like this are assembled row by row, stone by stone, similar to what a 3D printer does. So in a way you could say that LEGO invented the "analog" 3D "printing" (with the builder being the printer, of course). ;) :D

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Legoo kind of has me pissed off. I talked to the corporate head quaters and asked why didn't they have blocks with pins on both sides so you could make symmetric models. They said, "We do not accept ideas fromt the public" and hung up. A single layer 8, 4, or 6 pin square or rectangle with pins on both sides would change the whole dynamic of Lego models. They are kind of a jerk company in that respect.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@zathros : This is due to prevent copyright claims. No big company will EVER listen or accept ideas from customers. They are forbidden to do so, that's why they aborted the discussion so abruptly. It's nothing personal, it's just business. I know that from comic book publishers and movie makers because I tried to submit some scripts to them. Many of them even state on their contact page that all scripts which are submitted without request are tossed in the bin immediately without being read or even looked at. Just imagine the official design team has on its own come up with an idea that resembles the idea of a customer / fan and they would listen to that fan before the final product is ready for release. There is a chance that this fan might claim money from them for using "his / her" idea. Of course the design team would be able to prove that they came up with the idea in the first place but the whole process will consume a lot of time and money to sort things out and the ompany will risk bad publicity. To avoid that in the first place they are a "secret club" with their own chefs and creative consultants.

Nevertheless there are other brick manufacturers around, only a very small number of Lego bricks are design protected. So if your idea hasn't been protected yet you could file a request at the patent office to do so. If anyone would would use that idea they would have to pay for it. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
@zathros : This is due to prevent copyright claims. No big company will EVER listen or accept ideas from customers. They are forbidden to do so, that's why they aborted the discussion so abruptly. It's nothing personal, it's just business. I know that from comic book publishers and movie makers because I tried to submit some scripts to them. Many of them even state on their contact page that all scripts which are submitted without request are tossed in the bin immediately without being read or even looked at. Just imagine the official design team has on its own come up with an idea that resembles the idea of a customer / fan and they would listen to that fan before the final product is ready for release. There is a chance that this fan might claim money from them for using "his / her" idea. Of course the design team would be able to prove that they came up with the idea in the first place but the whole process will consume a lot of time and money to sort things out and the ompany will risk bad publicity. To avoid that in the first place they are a "secret club" with their own chefs and creative consultants.

Nevertheless there are other brick manufacturers around, only a very small number of Lego bricks are design protected. So if your idea hasn't been protected yet you could file a request at the patent office to do so. If anyone would would use that idea they would have to pay for it. ;)

I didn't want credit, or anything, I just wanted them to make them. If I weren't such a procrastinator, I would draw up full prints, make a simple injection mold, punch out a few, and get the ball rolling. Shows you where my head is at. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Maybe make a 3D print of that?

It would be quicker to make a square/rectangle, of plastic, on a Milling machine, and press Lego size pins through it, and voila, your finished part! You could actually batch mill probably 10 of these pieces at a time, and batch drill them too. If I was still doing Lego, I'd probably bang out a batch for the heck of it. Still working on my roof and my newly acquired ZZR31200 Kawasaki! Only 4395 miles on her. It's a 2003, this is the fastest carburator motorcycle ever made, 168 mph top end, 145 horsepower at the rear wheel!!. Insanely fast, but easy to drive civilly. Not into fuel injection. I know how to work on it, but prefer carburetors. Working on 1:1 scale stuff now that you can actually ride. Summer is pretty slow on this forum anyways. :)

ZZr31200.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
However, that is an awesome idea. I have never seen anyone or heard of anyone making his / her own custom compatible bricks. That would be cool to see and mind-blowing to everyone seeing the results. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It might be easier to mill off the sides on one brick, fit to size, and glue it to the inside of another brick , then you have your two sided brick. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That is a really nice Klingon Battlecruiser! :)