Norton Deletes Pepakura Designer exe

GyverX

I am looking to build a model and wanted to have the ease of use of Pepakura Designer. When I download it from the Pepakura site my Nortons 2015 deletes it with WS.Reputation.1 found

I'm not infected, but a little concerned if this is just an isolated event or is this something that is known?
I am really going to need this when I'm ready.

I searched Google and found nothing but your basic garbage, and didn't find anything here at the forums. Hence this thread.

Any Ideas?

SmallRealities

It seems Norton may not know what it is and is giving a false positive. You should be able to whitelist the file in Norton. If you are still uncomfortable and want to check, try scanning it with either MalwareBytes and/or Kaspersky.

GyverX

That is why I started a thread on it, I downloaded it from the site and when it got deleted it threw me back. I went ahead and installed it on a VM and then scanned the the system on the VM. Everything checked out. It has to be a false positive. But, Just incase some one else has the same problem they will be able to see this thread and it might help. I did everything an IT tech can do short of contacting the owner to resolve the issue.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I've never got anything from Norton flagging anything from Pepakura. Strange? :)

GyverX

Ya Super Weird. Thats why I posted a thread on it. I checked everything and all is fine on the install end. I also have an email in to Nortons support.

Lighter

Make sure you download it from Tamasoft. If you download it from many other sites, it comes loaded with nasty viruses. I run Norton 360, and Norton does not flag it. Get it from here:

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

I just now did that and got the Norton delete. Following is Norton's report:

Filename: setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Full Path: d:\download\setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe

Details
Unknown Community Usage, Unknown Age, Risk Medium

Origin
Downloaded from
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe

Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1

On computers as of
Not Available

Last Used
2/1/2015 at 6:46:08 AM

Startup Item
No

Launched
No

Unknown
It is unknown how many users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Unknown
This file release is currently not known.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe

Downloaded File setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
from tamasoft.co.jp

Source: External Media

File Actions

File: d:\download\ setup_pepakura_designer314_en.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
8054cf516f5bb706e38f20d59a9668ce50ea3daca15dcdf5a65c84a55bbc1f38
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

I assume that those of you reading this report have better knowledge than I. What I get is that it is user community input from wherever the download location rather than any scanned threat from this download site that caused the removal.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
What you are doing is scanning and having the computer go by reputation. Since apparently we're the only ones using Pepakura, it must think something is wrong. I have it on my machine. I just scanned it, these are the results. I did scan with Norton Insight, that is the second pic.

Just install it, don't worry about it. As long as you are getting it from Tamasoft, you are all set.

Regular Scan
Snorton.jpg

Norton File Insight:

Snorton2.jpg