New to Paper Modeling! Question about glues.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
White glues tend to penetrate paper, this can be good and bad. Good, when forming the end of a round off wing tip. Bad, when it bleeds through and ruins a model, or yellows because of the lignin content. Personally, I never use it, but that means nothing. :)

swampdaddy41

Glues 007a resized.jpg
Well, I've found a silicone glue called FixAll (made by the SuperGlue people) at the $ stores around here. Nice size tube. Does paper well and I also use it to glue paper wallpaper and other paper interior things to the plastic walls of some kit built buildings. If I plan on many interior lights I first glue a layer of "black" construction paper to the inside walls and cut out doors and window areas (works best if you apply this layer before gluing in windows and doors) and then glue the second decoration layer over that. So far, after several years of use, nothing has come unglued.

Have fun, Swamp Daddy

Last edited:

paper hollywood

Ah, reading model forums keeps costing me money. I've been a long time Aleene's user, but I've always meant to try one that Zip Dry stuff and UHU. I don't get by the craft stores often these days, so I just found some reasonable sounding prices on eBay. Here's a couple of links that filter to Buy-It-Nows the ordered by the lowest prices. I also filter to just US sellers because I got tired of waiting months for stuff to come from China. Most any seller with over 100 sales and a rating of 99%+ should be fine. My total for a bottle of Zip and a tube of UHU was twelve something.

Zip Dry Glue

UHU Glue

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
If nothing else this thread is proving a great guide to any new modeller! (and to the "old hands" who want some tips :))

swampdaddy41

Glues 007b resized.jpg
If you like SuperGlue you can also buy it at the $-stores, comes in regular liquid (and also in 5 small tubes), each a $. I prefer the slower drying and less apt cause trouble gel version which is also less apt to stick your fingers together. Keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy in case you do glue yourself together. I only use this on metal to metal. Two nice GEL tubes $1 or a 6-pack of miniature gel tubes for $1. I find the small tubes not too useful as most projects require more than one. This type of super glue has the usual setbacks of the liquid version: fumes (ventilation needed), fumes will mar almost any surface that they touch. A thick piece of cardboard between it and your work surface is a good idea. It's handy, the tubes do not dry out fast so I never bother with the refrigerator for them.

have fun and be careful with this, Swamp Daddy
PS-got the pix uploaded, package about 6.5" tall

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I have an accelerator liquid for Crazy Glue that I used to fix a Cast Iron alternator pulley on my M.G., and it has held for over 30 years!!

swampdaddy41

Another handy adhesive I use is Woodland Scenics "Scenic Accents Glue". This is a gooey white mix meant to non-permanently fix HO people (or small acc.) in place. It dries clear quickly and then is tacky and you can put a figure where you want it without the need to hold it in place. Supposedly you can then pull one loose w/o damage and re-position it somewhere else. it has worked well for me in limited use.

have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I CV glue all my stuff on Waxed Paper... easy to pull off and then sand file to proper shape and you can leave the slow dry on it and come back later when it is dry.