New member from Kazakhstan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot! :)

Thank you for showing us these pictures (we LOVE pictures, yaknow ;) ). Holy moly! The quality of the models you have built is AMAZING!!! They do not look like they were made of paper, they look like real filming miniatures. The crispness and precision is top-notch and shows that you love the medium. Bravo!

Claphands Claphands Claphands

I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

I'm sure you will like it here. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We love to help. :)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

Kolokolnikov

Thanks for the compliment. I really enjoy working with paper more than plastic. I have been reading your forum for a long time, and once I was even registered, but did not write, I will try to fix that.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Welcome aboard Zealot! Great work on those, As Revell-Fan stated, We Love Pictures, After you meet the minimum member requirements, you will gain access to our resource section, please take the time to read through the rules for Zealot https://www.zealot.com/threads/zealot-forum-rules-and-policies.174452/ They are mostly common sense rules but they are rules.
I myself am a sci fi, realspace, and military modeler, plus I dabble in miniatures for TTRPGs. And Zealot is a place where it can all be found.

Once again, Welcome Aboard, and we hope you will come to love Zealot as much as we do,

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things paper & cardstock, as well as model building as a whole, and to build and hone your skills. The members here are very helpful.

Thank you for sharing a sample of your work with us! You have done a FANTASTIC JOB on each and everyone of them. Everything looks clear, clean, and crisp.

When you start a new project, please post a build thread. Build threads are a great way of show off your work and skills. Not only that, but if you run into an issue with a model you can highlight the area that you are having problems with and we can offer you some suggestions on how to deal with them.

So, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Welcome Koloko you already have a nice set of papermodels. For sure I like your Interceptor (I wonder why I like Tie!!)

Kolokolnikov

Welcome Koloko you already have a nice set of papermodels. For sure I like your Interceptor (I wonder why I like Tie!!)
I am watching your project, and I already really want to assemble the same for the company to the interceptor.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Kolokolnikov Beautifully built models. You are a gifted cratsman. You have much to offer and we are willing to learn. The Bell and Huey are my favorites, can you post a link from where you got them? :)

Kolokolnikov

The Bell and Huey are my favorites, can you post a link from where you got them? :)
Thank you!
Huey - https://www.flymodel.pl/smiglowce/18-bell-uh-1-iroquois-5901444101252.html

This is a link to an updated magazine, but if you find an old one, be careful with cutting out the fuselage frames. There is a very serious mistake.

Bell h13 Sioux -

To assemble this model, you need to learn how to solder, without this the model will be fragile. And it is best to order glass for the cockpit along with the magazine.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks!! I thought that model was hand built. I believe I read the thread, if that was you who posted that build thread. Superb craftsmanship!!

Ordering that model from the U.S. would be too expensive in shipping, but with you here, we get to see the beautiful work you guys are doing, and that in itself is worth it. :)

p.s. I was able to find both models. I wish to study them, I doubt I'll ever build them. Besides, yours are so perfect, I'd be ashamed to post my monstrosities!! :)

Last edited:

Kolokolnikov

Thanks!! I thought that model was hand built. I believe I read the thread, if that was you who posted that build thread. Superb craftsmanship!!

Sioux I built this last year, I can try to write a short build repot. But I built the Huey several years ago, I will find a photo, but I may not be able to describe it in detail, I just don’t remember all the moments.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
WOW! Those are really clean and precise! I look forward to a picture tutorial thread from you! [ Hopefully something scifi ].

Kolokolnikov

HHHmmm watch the Tie advanced X1 thread.
X1 is very interesting to me, but I don't know how to work in 3D. For example Satellite-1, I just drew from the drawing. I'm trying to understand the work of programs for 3D graphics, but apparently my knowledge and habits on 2D graphics interfere with me. I can imagine all this perfectly in 3D, I can make a simple layouts just by calculating the dimensions on a calculator and in my head, but as soon as it comes to surfaces of double curvature, I have problems.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know exactly how you feel. I tried Blender once (version 2.49) but failed miserably. I almost gave up but then I found SketchUp. The shapes are drawn just like on a 2D canvas which made work for me much easier. I started with editing existing models first to see how the program works and what has to be done to make a CG model buildable. Most models must be cleaned up: there are intersections, untextured parts, faces with the wrong side up and double faces which have to be dealt with first. Then I started developing the Landram. It was a pretty easy box-like shape which I thought would be perfect for a program like SketchUp. I switched to SketchUp 8 which can be upgraded with the "Flattery" plugin for easy unfolding and *.svg export. I use it ever since; you may get the old installer here. A few other projects interfered which I did to practise certain things which I would need in later projects. One of the most complex models I designed was the Colonial Blaster. It became "Model of the Month" which was quite a surprise because I really did not even aim at being honoured in this way. I just wanted to deliver a good model. It is still in one piece today. ;) Making your own model (a model which is not based on a game model or such) has one big advantage: You are in full control of the design and you can plan the cuts to divide the model into sections for sub-assembly. You are able to simplify unnecessarily complex shapes and turn them into buildable parts, too. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Rhino3D is a great program to transition from 2D to 3D. I know this from experience. Having been a machinists, and making aerospace products from helicopter rotor components our of titanium to landing gear from castings, bulkheads for helicopters that were 9' feet long and 4 ' feet wide, and milling that block into a bulkhead, all started with 2d Blueprints. I found AutoCad incredibly unintuitive, as I dod most other programs. Rhino3D on the other hand has a logical work flow. There are many ways to do the same thing. There are 1000's of tutorials on YouTube to get you going, and with it's scaling possibilities, and part unrolling capabilities, nothing beats it. If you are a student, or have one in your family, you can get the full working program for $200 dollars., otherwise it is $1000 dollars, both versions can be put on up to 3 computers simultaneously. You can find Rhino5 on EBAY at great prices, because Rhino 7 is out and people just upgrade and sell their previous editions, which is totally legit. Rhino will also print 2d pictures of parts you have made, with or without dimensions. You can make bulkheads for full size boats and other types of craft as it has a system of markers to put sheets together with markers to tape into 1;1 scale objects, so you could make a full size airplane on Rhino, or just about anything you can think of. It also will control many types of machinery.

Blender is too messed up to us. SketchUp is easier, but I work exclusively with 3D as most of what I do has nothing to do with paper models. ;)

Kolokolnikov

Thanks for the advice, I'm already thinking about 3D courses. First, I need to understand the mechanics, I looked through a lot of tutorials on YouTube, but I still don't understand. I heard a lot of good reviews about the rhinoceros in terms of modeling paper models. I'll try to buy Reno for my son, he is going to university next year.