Need advice

goodduck

I want to rebuild some old resin kits and I want take the kit apart to clean them. I need advice of what is the tried and true stuff to safely break down old super glue?

Thanks!!!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Freezing will make the glue brittle, but it will also make the resin brittle... Debonder is always your best bet.
per Wikipedia some common chemicals that affect CA,
Solvents and debonders[edit]
Acetone, commonly found in nail polish remover, is a widely available solvent capable of softening cured cyanoacrylate.[22] Other solvents include nitromethane, dimethyl sulfoxide, and methylene chloride.[23]gamma-Butyrolactone may also be used to remove cured cyanoacrylate.[24] Commercial debonders are also available.[25]

Acetone is the most common.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Sometimes, you are better cutting the model right next to where it is glued, and make those points our new joining points. That leaves the glued sections undisturbed. :)

goodduck

Noway I can try to cut it apart. freezing didn't do anything for me. I will try the debonder next time I go to hobby show. Thanks guys!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Try Acetone before you buy propose made debonder. hardware stores sell acetone as a paint stripper, and drug stores will have nail polish remover with acetone.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I bet the model melts before your EYES!! :)

Just kidding, I never had goodluck Goodduck, with Resin models, for that reason, you never knew what ind of Resin was used, and many did in fact become soft, and deformed, just doing the most innocent of things, like trying to assemble them! :)

goodduck

Well, I don't need to strip paint, just want to put things apart. I will try on the less expensive kit first.