N-Scale Traction

TrainGuyRom

I get a lot of big ideas(some are big plans of something small) and this is one of them. I have wanted to make a portable layout (like in a briefcase, or a shoe box) But never have the money for Z-scale. Anyway, I thought of a good way to do it in N. It would go inside an inexpensive briefcase, be a loop with a siding or two (since I like switching) with a cheap N-scale passenger trolly, a freight trolly, & a few short wheel-based frieght cars.
What is a good minimum radius? How much space(i.e. max. hight & min. "footprint")? Is this possible to do? what era is good & easy? Could I fabricate some 4-wheel cars out of spare axels & strip wood? What inexpensive power-block could I use for the frieght trolly?

Thank You

GWoodle

This sounds like TTRak, an alternative to Ntrak. Go to the Ntrak for more info. AFAIK they use Kato Unitrack. The small sections fit on a 12x12" base, then use the Kato connectors to build a layout. I'd have to check to see the Kato website to see how small the curves come. There may still be some old Atlas 7" snap curves around.

TrainGuyRom

Cool, but this is just something to cary around since I already exibit with an N scale group. I may build moduals eventually for trollys & have it operable alone.
I will have to investigate. they may have some advice if they are in the same area I live in. Thank You

TrainGuyRom

I just found theyr'e web site. there are no listed clubs in my area, but it looks easy to start one or just do it at home. Thank you

TrainGuyRom

I just found that T-Trak uses 8.5"R Kato track. Theye'r moduals are slightly larger than that, but only by a few inches. The standard is:
8-1/4"x12-1/5"x2-3/4"

GWoodle

Looking at the Bachmann website, perhaps their PCC & trolley models have improved lately with new motors & such? I sure hope so. They should operate on the tight 8.5" radius.

TrainGuyRom

I looked at their web site and found that there is an alternate curve that is meant to be for six axel engines. I can't imagine a six axel going down a 11.5"R curve, but 10"R allows most of my engines & rolling stock (although my two six axel engines can't handle it, the rest of them do). My SP passenger cars run well on that radius, they just look silly. so 11.5" is good for me.