n scale newbie lighting question

joe eg6

Hey guys,
I'm new to this whole scene. Actually I have never even built a train model, but rather i build architectural models! you guys seem like the ones to talk to for advice though so hopefully you can help. i am building a model for this new campus for Journey Church Sallisaw, ok and i would love to have lights on the model. (i.e. lighted buildings, street lights) i have no idea where to begin or even where to start to look. If you guys can lead me in a direction i would appreciate it! My model is 1/16" which i believe is equivilent to the N scale train modeling. THanks for any advice! :mrgreen:

Triplex

Not quite the same (N is 1/160, 1/16" to the foot is 1/192), but close enough that N scale techniques should probably work.

Oh, and welcome!

joe eg6

yeah i figured this was the closest i could get to with the scale i was using. so any direction?? your guys stuff looks pretty awesome. if i keep looking at all the topics on this site i might have to build my own one!! haha

joe eg6

Thanks for the replies so far guys. i will look into those bulbs, but what do i do after i get them. i am a total novice to lighting so dont know what else i would need, as far as power source or how to wire them together. so if you can direct me to a topic to search or something that would be great! thanks guys

GWoodle

Sounds like you could use a book on layout wiring. Many include tips on lights, accessories, & stuff.

You may also check the house collection display at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. They may still have some items on closeout from Christmas. Another place would be the doll house section.

You will need a power source, battery or wired & a controller. Lighting depends on what wattage etc looks good for your use.

TrainGuyRom

I think you should get some old christmas lights, rip them off the major chord. If you get the white lights you just need to take them off the major chord, rather than having to some-how change the color of light.

At a train show a couple of years ago, I found a booth selling tini lightbulbs for $1/ bag. I grabbed two bags seeing how full the bags were. By now I have not even finished haf a bag.

If you have a while (such as a year or more) look around for model RR shows in the area. there you can find great deals (and a few rip-offs). My advice for buying at train shows:
There is a such thing as too-good-to-be-true "deals"
Look around the whole show, checking prices
If you are not sure, ask someone at a layout in your scale. They can help you figure out the best deals.
You might even see good ideas on layouts. Even if the layout is not your scale!
Summery: know what is a good deal, and what isn't. look for ideas in book, and on layouts.

Hope I helped
TGR

joe eg6

thanks for the replies guys. i also talked to a local hobby shop. they suggested just buying a battery pack and wiring the lights to that. I'm thinking that might be what i do. anyone have oppositions to this. train guy, i have to have it done this weekend so i cant check shows (Although i would love to check one out) and if this battery pack deal doesnt work i might try the christmas lights. one question though. my buildings are scattered about, so how would i use the same strand of lights without having lights where i dont want them.
THanks

GWoodle

At my Hobby Lobby, Model Power had a pack of stick type lights that you could get, IIRC 4-6 to a pack. Simply put the lights where you need them, then run wiring under the table. You can try a battery setup that runs at 1 to 9 volts at most, they will last a lot longer if you operate them at 1/2 voltage or less. Some of the Christmas sets use 2AA's. There may be something in the stores designed for Easter use.

steamhead

The battery pack & grain of wheat/rice bulbs is your best bet. Simple, and you can dim the lights to a tolerable level, as on straight 12 volts, they shine like the alien space craft in "Close Encounters..". Just wire the lights up to the variable DC output (what would be used for the track) and NOT to the fixed DC output which will put out a steady 12-18v. Good luck..!!

joe eg6

Hey guys,
again thanks for all the replies. GWoodle, i actually did end up buying those lights from Hobby Lobby already and they're great! and steamhead i did end up buy one of those packs and i am wiring to the knob so i can dim them! thanks i wasn't 100% sure what i was doing was right buy you guys confirmed it. i should be done this weekend and i'll post some pics of the end product. thanks again to all of you!!