My paper automata

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice!! You will have quite a nice collection of these. I love automata. It's amazing how long very complicated ones have been around. Go on YouTube, and you will see some clockwork automata from the late 1700's that is incredible!! :)

This Japanese one is over 200 years old!! :

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
... I will be doing another 4 dinosaur automats :)
...on youtube is a lot of beautiful automata (not only from paper), for example, Keith Newstead makes wonderful automata :Bravo: :

...but also complicated automata can be made from paper, such as this one:
View attachment 167266
I believe I can do something like this (in the future) ;)
...source:
http://www.geocities.jp/kikousya290821/tc.htm

I did not appreciate how intense of a piece that was when I first read the post. I do believe you could build this Mike, and THANK YOU for posting this link!! :)

mikezax

Thanx :)

...it wants more experience, to build such a complex automaton...At home I have a book with a similarly complex automaton - functional paper clock, in the future I will definitely try to glue it ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have built a pendulum clock out of paper. It was surprisingly accurate, though, if used as an alarm clock, I would have lost my job!! It did teach me how clocks work though and is quite fascinating. I was able to fix a movement from an 1800's Brass mechanism clock with the knowledge I learned from the paper one. I also know why they used Whale oil to lube these things, no viscosity and very slippery. :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
... I will be doing another 4 dinosaur automats :)
...on youtube is a lot of beautiful automata (not only from paper), for example, Keith Newstead makes wonderful automata :Bravo: :

...but also complicated automata can be made from paper, such as this one:
View attachment 167266
I believe I can do something like this (in the future) ;)
...source:
http://www.geocities.jp/kikousya290821/tc.htm

Here's the link for the tea man.

http://www.geocities.jp/kikousya290821/gallery1.html

I built a tea robot a couple of years ago.

http://www.zealot.com/threads/karakuri.179621/

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Very nice!! You will have quite a nice collection of these. I love automata. It's amazing how long very complicated ones have been around. Go on YouTube, and you will see some clockwork automata from the late 1700's that is incredible!! :)

This Japanese one is over 200 years old!! :

Amazing simply amazing! I thought that the character was just going to select an arrow and move it to the bow. My jaw dropped when it actually shot the arrow. What a genius!

Here's a larger example not as old still pretty elaborate. It's at the House On the Rock in Spring Green, WI. This place has a whole bunch of "music box" automata. This is just one example. Amazing place.

Mikado
Bolero (The Gatehouse Ensemble)

Sky Seeker
:tank:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
...when glued, a person learns many things ;)
I have exactly these hours :) :
View attachment 167351

I purchased that Book from "Barnes and Noble" decades ago, and built it. I didn't have the skills I have now, but like I said, it did work, and there was much explained, and realized in the making one of these from scratch.

I do recommend making the frame from wood instead of paper, as that frame is crucial in keeping the gears and escapement mechanism timed. I would also use crazy glue as bearing surfaces, and spin to fit, this will reduce "stiction". :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Love it!!
I remember from much younger days, the Vietnamese Water Puppets... it was a Great Show

There was another version of this, where they were on wooden rails just under the surface of the water, and they were string driven and had some incredible moves! Can't find anything on it now, but back then there were only a few doing it and only one master still alive..so..

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That was really awesome!! I can help think, forgive me please, but when I saw the guys plowing the fields, I thought, "Ah, so that's where the idea of Jet Ski's came from", each had 1 o.p Oxen power).

I found the musical instruments to be quite fantastic. I hope they never lose their musical culture, or any aspect of their culture. The world loses so much. I grew up in a world that bridged tribal to 1st world, and it was hard. Ask me which I prefer, I don't have an answer, one was far simpler, but harder in other ways, and the other was simpler, but sterile, and devoid of embracing those around you. That's were I'm stuck now. The new world, that's is where I'm suck now. A cold world, where you live longer, but wish you didn't.

After watching the store of "The Story of the Weeping Camel", I have come to realize that part of the world has an ancient knowledge we don't have here. We don't have many camels either, but that argument still does not hold, once you watch that movie, you'll see what I mean.

Kind of an odd post, I must admit. :)

Last edited:

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
That was really awesome!! I can help think, forgive me please, but when I saw the guys plowing the fields, I thought, "Ah, so that's where the idea of Jet Ski's came from", each had 1 o.p Oxen power).

I found the musical instruments to be quite fantastic. I hope they never lose their musical culture, or any aspect of their culture. The world loses so much. I grew up in a world that bridged tribal to 1st world, and it was hard. Ask me which I prefer, I don't have an answer, one was far simpler, but harder in other ways, and the other was simpler, but sterile, and devoid of embracing those around you. That's were I'm stuck now. The new world, that's is where I'm suck now. A cold world, where you live longer, but wish you didn't.

After watching the store of "The Story of the Weeping Camel", I have come to realize that part of the world has an ancient knowledge we don't have here. We don't have many camels either, but that argument still does not hold, once you watch that move, you'll see what I mean.

Kind of an odd post, I must admit. :)

I get it! I spent my time in just about every country in the world. Back then, say for instance, when on R&R in Bancock most spent there time in the bars with the hookers, now I did get drunk a time or two, but I also went out in the country and saw everything I could! I took a lot more away with me than a hangover and a case of the clap! The Weeping Camel was great.. and I also loved The Eagle Huntress...

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
There are many countries I would have probably have gotten into much trouble in. I really wanted to go to Germany, but didn't make it. I don't want to go to any country they think I may belong in, except this one, then again, if Trump gets his way, anybody's citizenship could be denied. Being born here, let alone spending your whole life working and paying all those taxes won't mean shit. They haven't yet!!