My Miami Layout

cnw1961

Scott, Tetters, thank you guys :wave:.

Lance, thank you for your encouraging comments. Yes, the building in the foreground is Sentry Industries. They are getting all those tank cars (and I like tank cars), that’s why I want to model it. When I first thought of the extension, I wanted to build Sentry and the warehouse left of Sentry (the one with the curved backside), but to have both structures would have completely blocked the view to the tracks and the background buildings. So I decided to do without the other warehouse. I want to build the front of Sentry true to scale (as far as I can get the dimensions right), but move it to the left so that it will have the curved back. To get the dimensions, I measured the door of the office I found in one of your pictures and then calculated the other dimensions compared to the height of the door. The mock-up shows that I’ll have to make the loading doors a bit wider and and add a little to the height of the building. I think if I make the height 2 1/2", it should look right.

BTW, I LOVE that rig you got parked in front of that building :mrgreen:
m20.jpg

Isn’t it sweet? Josh, I knew you’d like it. I only got it a few days ago. It is from Trucks n Stuff.

Josh, those pink colored warehouses are the same you can already see in the first pictures of my thread. I only painted them a few days ago, but they are still far from being finished. I am making these buildings out of sheet styrene and if it helps you, I will do a little tutorial when I build the next one.

UP SD40-2

Kurt, FANTASTIC WORK(of coarse:winki: )& progress so far:thumb: .

I'm glad you decided to drop one of the warehouses, i too thought it blocked to much, but who am i to say how you should build your layout:119: , they ALWAYS turn out to be nothing short of SPECTACULAR:worship: .

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thank-you for the reply Kurt

I LOVE the Trucks N Stuff rig, i need to get a few of them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

See how in this picture above, there seems to be an "outline" of where doors and windows and such will/are? Are you going to cut these out and install real doors and windows?

BTW, i would love a little tutorial :mrgreen: :thumb:

cnw1961

Colton, I’d like to have a sky like that here at the moment. It’s cold, gray and we are having snow showers – Florida looks very atractive to me ... :mrgreen:

who am i to say how you should build your layout

Deano, you are one of the guys, whose opinion I highly value :thumb::wave:. Good to know you think I did it right.

Josh, this cardboard mock-up structure is only to see, if I got the dimensions right. The drawing that I glued to the front will act as a cutting template when I build the styrene structure. I will use adhesive spray to fix the drawing to the styrene sheet and then cut the openings for windows and doors along the lines.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Josh, this cardboard mock-up structure is only to see, if I got the dimensions right. The drawing that I glued to the front will act as a cutting template when I build the styrene structure. I will use adhesive spray to fix the drawing to the styrene sheet and then cut the openings for windows and doors along the lines.

Thanks Kurt :mrgreen: Thats a great idea :mrgreen: :thumb:

cnw1961

Just a little update. After painting the track on the new extension, I am working on the streets now. But somehow that does not seem to be what I really want to do at the moment, so I easily get distracted and progress is very slow :eek:ops:.

m36.jpg

But getting distracted is not always bad :mrgreen:. Instead of building the streets, I weathered some cars. Not all the cars for my layout will be weathered as heavily as these, some will only get a light dusting with the airbrush (two more pictures of GVSR 136395: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164156 ).

m33.jpg

m34.jpg

m35.jpg

Dan85

Don't know how I didn't see this thread, CNW this is an AWESOME layout! Very nice work with everything! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

- Dan

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Nice Job Kurt! If it wasn't for the glass table top, I'd almost think they were the real deal.

steamhead

Kurt...That layout is coming along real nicely.... :thumb:
Did you use a spray gun to paint the track..? What kind of paint did you use..??
I think I may try that when it comes to tackling the remaing track that needs painting. The hand brush method gets old REALLY fast....:curse:

cnw1961

Deano, at least you can see some progress ... what a relief :mrgreen:.

Dan, still a long way to go until it is a nice as your layout :wave:.

Scott, Deano, I am sure I totally agree with you, but you got to give me a little English lesson first :mrgreen::p: what do you mean by "taggers"? :confused:

Tetters, thank you :wave:.

Gus, I tried painting track with a paint brush once, but that method was more than my patience could endure.... I am using my airbrush and solvent based paints now. I am painting the track and the ties the same color. When the paint has dried, I am changing the color of the ties by washing them with diluted acrylic paints. BTW Gus, I think I haven’t seen any new pics of your layout for a while .... or did I just miss them? (Can you feel me nudging you into posting some? :twisted: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:)

jesso

Taggers are the wonderful:p people that paint graffiti on the train cars (and lots of other things for that matter).

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW Kurt!!!! Nice Progress. I love how you weather the rails and weather the roads, they look GREAT!!! And your weathered boxcars look FANTASTIC!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Art67

Hello Kurt,
Your new shelf layout looks amazing, and I am eagerly awaiting to see how it will turn out when completed {are they ever completed? }. The last year has been a busy one for me, but I have completed 30 feet of bench work for my new shelf layout. You may recall my old B&O switching layout that I used to post photos of on this forum, I still have it but it is dismantled in our new basement where work has finally begun on my new larger layout. The new layout will also be set in the modern era, and once progress is made on actual scenery, I will update the forum.
Your use of plaster and molds for making buildings I found especially interesting, I too have been experimenting with using plaster for constructing buildings, and found your buildings to be top notch.
The prototypical track work on your layout really stands out as well.
Anyhow, I just wanted to say great work, and I look forward to seeing more of your very fine layout.
Happy Holidays,
Stuart

Art67

Hello Wayne, nice to see you as well! I have been somewhat of a lurker on the site as of late, but plan to change that in the coming year. Your layout is looking great as always, and I look forward to seeing all the other fine modeling taking place on The Gauge.

Stuart

cnw1961

Hi Stuart, I concur with Wayne that it is good to see you back. How could we forget your fantastic B&O Layout? Not long ago I thought that it is a pity that we see no more new pictures of it. But it is very good news to hear that you already started to work on a new layout. I am looking forward to see you posting again. Thank you for your kind words about my layout (although there ia not much to be seen yet).