My Imcold's X-wing build

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
You are welcome wedge:). Kidding of course;). Your build si very inspirational to me, I am looking at it constantly:). To have the time to make more details si one thing, but I am not sure I will reach your level of neatness and precision, in time maybe I hope:).

I am lazy to:). I figth tough battles with laziness when I am modeling:). And sometimes I lose. With cockpit interior I lost. I made original cockpit and then decided to retexture it to closer corespond with first SW film. I made a new textures (takes some time, more then I thoutght, to collect references) but at the end was lazy to build entire cockpit again, so I use these new textures just to greeble original cockpit. It hides lots of original textures, but not all of them. So my cockpit is nice blend of the two:Grin:.

Nevertheless, I have the retextured cocpit available, so if it is not somehow offended against designer (I will ask him), I can provide it to anyone interested.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Imcold, the designer, is a member here. You may start a conversation with him. He is a great guy and I am sure he will like what you did. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I applaud you decision to make "real wings" The Lockheed Starfighter (F104) was the only sold wing ever produced in a real jet (for the most part). The leading edge was .015" thousandths of an inch, and could give you a nice cut if the protective covers were in place. This plane was the ultimate plane that flew within virtually a non existent boundary later. There was no room for anything. The hydraulic actuators for the ailerons were 1" in diameter. There was no fuel or anything else in the otherwise solid wing, which had extreme wing loading. Make sure you make separate missiles, that is a must in this design, if you choose to make that section visible. It is really coming out excellent. Just make the leading egdes sharp. Aircraft do not fly with blunt leading edges!! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank You for information, I am again a bit cleverer (bit by bit and I am getting there:)). It newer occurred to me, that these fast planes have such a thin leading edge. It is because I make 3d models of planes for aircraft modelers for CNC machining, so I came into contact mainly with NACA airfoils with rounded edge.

But X-wing profile is designed as rectangle:), and i would like to preserve that for the sake of accurateness. I would like to see how the air flow looks in air tunnel:laughrolling:. But hey, it is sci-fi planecraft afterall.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The aircraft designers of Star Wars have no concept of aerodynamics. When I ran an FBO at Danbury airport, a guy made a Long Eze by Burt Rutan with a laminar flow wing. He decided to paint the leading edge of the main wing red. 2/3rds of the way down the runway, as the plane would not take off, the pilot nearly crashed into the fence. The layer of paint was rather thick and caused the boundary layer to lose it's grip and the plane would not lift. Had that been a Piper or Cessna, it would not have made a difference. As far as the aerodynamics, if I built one of these X wings, I would add a rounded edge, just to be accurate, and not perpetuate the stupidity that these movies seem so well at doing. Your model is coming out so well, my acceptance by the general public for such inaccuracies is worn thin. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The aircraft designers of Star Wars have no concept of aerodynamics.
They don't need any. All the ships are surrounded by force fields, and in space even a brick can fly. ;)

OK, just kidding. Naturally, all ships were mounted on blue poles and the big ones were carried around by moving cranes..! :D

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Just for the record, anyone can upload alternative parts for anyone's models. It would be niece to mention that member, if you mention their model, then definitely mention their name, but you can upload the version of your cockpit of your model, or anyone else's. I intend to upload a full frame, engine, and chassis. There are many sport cars that can be made off of that frame. I want people to use it. Just give me credit for the chassis, which is what people should do, morally, not legally. There is no legal standing for any of this. ;)

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I just uploaded it as resource. It is my plan from the beginning to share all my extensions. Lot of work went and will go into this, so it would be shame not to share it for others. That is why I do assembly drawings for all this parts. I will also send it to Imcold, author of the model, so he can post it on website of the model, if he wants to.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I applaud your decision. The decisions of sensible people make for a sensible forum. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
THANK YOU, PAL!!! These files are a MUST-HAVE for any Imcold X-Wing builder! (They are a bit big but they are worth it!) :)