MP 531 Project

Tad

I am waiting for some parts to come in so that I can finish my GP10's.

I was looking around and found this photo.

MP 531 - a GP18 at Wichita, Kansas - July,1972 - Lee Berglund photo/T. Greuter collection

aaa.sized.jpg

From: http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/loco_1gen_gp18.html

Since I model the MoPac as one of my interchange roads I thought it would be cool to have a unique unit on the layout.

I realized that I had just about everything I needed, as far as parts, on hand to build this locomotive. The only thing I don't have is the exhaust stacks with spark arrestors. Does anyone know if someone makes this style?

I've ordered paint and decals for this unit. I plan on having it ready for painting by the time they get here.

MoPac style chopped nose GP18, future MP 531.

aas.sized.jpg

aat.sized.jpg

aaw.sized.jpg

Tad

Thanks, Cal.

Details West offers them in HO, unfortunately I model in N.

2slim has offered me a drawing of them, so I guess I will have to figure out how to make them.

The grills are from a Gold Medal Models #160-40 detailing set.

siderod

Tad,
That an M4D long hood? Regardless, it's a great looking model, and should look really nice once you get it completed...you going to do that same style horn, with one 'chime' facing either direction?

AR

Tad

Thanks, Ralph & Andrew.

Andrew, it is a long hood from a Life-Like Rock Island GP18. I had an extra shell that I had picked up for $2.

You mean something like this, Andrew?

aaz.sized.jpg

aba.sized.jpg

siderod

Tad,
The red colour is what made me think it was M4D...and yeah, that horn thing is exactly what i was talking about.

Lookin good!
AR

2slim

Spark arrestor scratch pic

I think Tad & I have the spark arrestor nailed, I needed a couple as well, so I got some Evergreen I beam stock, (P/N 274) and a little brass screen and here's what I came up with. They are 1/8" tall and use the cast in base, just wrapped the screen up over the top of the I beam section and glued em in place.
2slim

Attachments

• spark4a.jpg
    spark4a.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 59

Tad

Now that finals are over I have been able to get back to some other things.

After talking with Todd on email about how to try to make these spark arresters, this is what I came up with.

I used Evergreen .125" I - beam cut to .100" for the body of the spark arresters.

I used some Evergreen .010" strip to cut the base plates from.

abg.sized.jpg

These are the I - Beams assembled to the baseplates with Testor's Model Cement.

abh.jpg

A finished spark arrester.

abi.jpg

I cut a .010" thick piece from a .030" x .030" piece of styrene to make the ears that the MoPac version of these spark arresters have. They don't show up that well in this shot.

And now that we have done all of this I found out that JnJ makes a similar spark arrester.

0151.jpg

It would still have to be modified a little to be like the MoPac versions.

ironmule2004

nice loco

That looks great! I live in Arkansas and pass by the mill in crossett fairly often. I would like to do a layout with some of these N. Louisiana and S. Arkansas short lines but I can't paint or model anything like you guys. It would be easier for me to modify the prototype loco w/ a cutting torch and a welding machine. :) IronMule

Tad

Thanks, IronMule.

Where abouts in Arkansas?

Before I went into the Army I never lived anywhere but Louisiana and Arkansas.

Tad

I lived in Fountain Hill when I was young and I graduated high school in Hamburg.

That's why I model the AD&N and its connecting roads. :cool:

ironmule2004

I know a fellow from there named Lavon Cope. I've been through there several times. I never could tell where the old R.O.W. for the AD&N crossed the hwy in Fountain Hill.

ironmule2004

I know a dude from there named Lavon Cope. I pass through there from time to time. I never could tell where the old ADN R.O.W. crossed the hwy in Fountain Hill.

Tad

I know Lavon.

abe.sized.jpg

This was taken looking north in Fountain Hill on old Hwy 81, now 425. The tracks were just north of the Methodist church, which would be just to the left out of this picture.

ironmule2004

Maybe the next time I pass through there I will know more where to look. Thanks!
I just hate it that this kinda stuff is gone forever. I guess that is what makes me interested in these short-lines, the fact that you can "freeze" or recreate a time in the past. In Magnolia, we always had the L&NW. They ran F-units when I was young. I always wanted to see something more exciting than the junky old F-s switching pulpwood yards. That was all that we saw most of the time. Now I wish I could go back and see them again. Maybe I can make something to bring the past to life like you have. My road block has always been the difficultly in painting the L&NW Fs.

Ironmule

Tad

I think the only thing that would be hard would be the nose stripes.

I made the stripes for my AD&N units. I think the L&NW stripes could be made fairly easily as a custom decal.

ironmule2004

Would the red not show through the yellow decals? I guess not since you used the white over the green. It would be harder putting them on the round nose because they wouldn't work on Fs from different manufacturers. They are close to the SP Black widow wings with the from being different. I had a guy make me some once but it was kinda complicated. Never really thought it would turn out ok. Had to paint the unit solid yellow, then put a mask on the nose-paint it red-pull the mask off and apply a decal that had thin red stripes.