ModelArt F117 Desert Storm 1/48 scale

flpaperguy

Nov 9, 2023
Central Florida, USA
Recently, I did a build thread on the Modelart F117 American Flag version in 1/72 scale. I wanted to add a 1/48 or 1/50 scale model of the F117 to my collection, but I couldn't find one. However, thanks to the 2-window arrangement of the parts on ModelArt 1/72 models, I was able to print out a 1/48 scale model using the "Poster" feature on the print menu of Adobe Acrobat Reader (a free download). I posted an explanation of this method in the "Tips, Titorials and Tools" subforum. The Desert Storm version seemed like a good subject for enlargement because it has a few details with small parts that the American Flag version doesn't.

f117ds-img1.JPG

This won't be a step-by-step build thread of the Desert Storm (DS) version because many steps are covered in my build thread of the American Flag (AF) version. The steps I will cover here are the ones that are unique to the DS version. Construction is started by building the bottom half of the model. The bottom consists of 8 parts, which is 2 more than the AF version. The additional parts are to accommodate the large bomb bay in the middle of the craft.

f117ds-img2.JPG

flpaperguy

Nov 9, 2023
Central Florida, USA
The 2 parts at the top of the photo below are for the bomb bay and the 3 parts at the bottom are for the landing gear wells.

f117ds-img3.JPG

Here's what the bottom half of the fuselage, the bomb bay and the landing gear wells look like when constructed and ready to be glued together. The piece running down the center of the bomb bay is shaped like an I-beam.

f117ds-img4.jpg

flpaperguy

Nov 9, 2023
Central Florida, USA
Each bomb has 26 parts.This was my first attempt at making a bomb or missile. I think it looks ok.

f117ds-img17.jpg

The bombs installed into the bomb bay.

f117ds-img18.jpg

Here's a comparison shot of the F117 American Flag version in 1/72 scale (bottom) and the Desert Storm version in 1/48 scale (top).The 1/72 scale model is 10.5 inches long (from front tip of the probe on the nose to the rear tip of the tails) and the 1/48 scale model is 15.75 inches long.

f117ds-img16a.jpg

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great looking models. To be honest though, if a model does not have an interior, it looks much better to cut pout the paper ones and put plastic ones in, painted on the inside, and then it looks complete. The paper windows take away so much from any models. This goes with aircraft, basically, any model that has windows of any sort. Just a small feature that enhances the model to another level.

The model is really built excellently. The lines are sharp, true and everything is symmetrical. Excellent craftsmanship. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The paper windows take away so much from any models. This goes with aircraft, basically, any model that has windows of any sort.
This is exactly the reason why I prefer darker painted windows or windows with a fake reflection on them. However, when I made the care center I noticed that a blue sky in fact casts a bright blue reflection on a window, so the model texture is not too far off. ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's the texture that kills the windows, not the color. The flat surface with a painted just knocks the otherwise excellent work down a few notches. The F117's I have seen have Black looking windows. If you look at the pick below, you can see the thickness of the cabin wall paper would suffice, and Black plastic (or Dark Grey) would finish it right off., the same with the canopy door. IMHO.

Of course, some people just want to build the model the way it comes, nothing wrong with that, I was just pointing out some little things that would make it really pop. That's how we share our knowledge, especially on an exceptionally well-built model. :)

F117.jpg