orv04.png

The Orville

41a35fad1b0ffb9c97d8b81c4fe77db4.gif

ORV101_Orville_with_planet_hires1.jpg

Various possible inspirations - Sophon Vessels - Endless Space

sophon_spaceships_by_metamorphestlk-d5fql43.png

concept_ship_sophon_medium_01_by_chrisalienart22-d4zhml9.png

latest

I haven't seen any models on this or The Orville for that matter. Just wondering if anyone out there has built one or know of someone that has.

Sky Seeker
:Viper:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just wondering if anyone out there has built one or know of someone that has.
Not yet. These shapes are pretty challenging to be turned into paper. You should start with basic shapes first and refine them until they look good and are not too intricate. Literally, warping could become an issue..! ;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Not yet. These shapes are pretty challenging to be turned into paper. You should start with basic shapes first and refine them until they look good and are not too intricate. Literally, warping could become an issue..! ;)

The Moclan ship - the BIG purple one on the right I think can be made. The breaks on the surface of the hull would make good attachment points for tabs. Additionally, this allows the ship to be broken up into different sections for assembly. The bottom seems to be mostly flat. Most of the time you want a flat surface, but due to the breaks on the model you actually want areas that are slightly raised above each other. The front of the ship is flat with curved areas joined together.

upload_2019-4-30_22-30-27.png
Just an initial idea for right now.

Sky Seeker

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-30_22-26-35.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-30_22-26-35.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 5

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member

I completely get it! Yes with all of those curves on the Orville you could have a wee bit of a problem. From building the Ikarie I've already had serious warping problems and that is a MUCH simpler design.

Still, I think it can be done. The ship would need internal bulkheads to reinforce certain sections. The rear ring portions would have to be done piecemeal with weights applied as the glue is drying to achieve the curves. In comparison the Moclan ship would be "easier" to build / design. There's not much to work with, but hey that's what we do around here anyway.

Sky Seeker

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Looks like a (Scratch Built Project Only) to me... the rear section, as well as the internal components, would be NASTY to flatten... and WEAK, even it has the internal rib structures... sure would be nice to have some multi-views... but searches just take me to the Orville or THE ORVILLE ( the Seth absurd TV show) ...

Last edited:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Looks like a (Scratch Built Project Only) to me... the rear section, as well as the internal components, would be NASTY to flatten... and WEAK, even it has the internal rib structures... sure would be nice to have some multi-views... but searches just take me to the Orville or THE ORVILLE ( the Seth absurd TV show) ...

NO surprise there as the ship IS from The Orville. Ironically, the show is more Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery (STD - ironic initials) - which throws out a whole bunch of Star Trek canon. STD pushes a certain "narrative", while at the same time being really dark literally as well as figuratively. I'm definitely NOT a fan of STD. This is coming from someone who grew up watching the Original Star Trek, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, all of the movies, and the cartoon show - (you can watch the entire series on the CW - https://www.cwseed.com/shows/star-t...ar/?play=1dcd27f7-54ba-42a0-a05c-24157d6b1c66).

The Orville is a lot of fun to watch having a light touch of humor not in the usual doses that Seth McFarland is known for and more emphasis on the story lines with the models in the background and NOT the primary emphasis. From what I understand while they use CGI on the Orville, they do have actual models that they use for close up shots.

As to the strength of the rear section I believe that the sides would be flimsy and would need to be reinforced. The rear section, that looks like a lobster pincer or a "C" clip, could be reinforced with a popsicle stick for connection to the main body or something as equally sturdy as well as the ribs. Just an idea.

Sky Seeker

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Still, I think it can be done.
I may not exaggerate too much when I say that you can build EVERYTHING out of paper.

The Orville is a lot of fun to watch having a light touch of humor not in the usual doses that Seth McFarland is known for and more emphasis on the story lines with the models in the background and NOT the primary emphasis. From what I understand while they use CGI on the Orville, they do have actual models that they use for close up shots.
Yes! It is a massive model and quite a sight with all her independent light circuits. She reminds me of the beautiful Voyager filming miniature.

I'd like to see STD :)D) but I don't have Netflix. I have a friend who's watching it but who thinks it wasn't Trek at all. After all I saw on Youtube I must say that it looks more like the new Battlestar Galactica show than Star Trek. My friend loves the Enterprise and Pike's portrayal though and would love to see a show with them. I still can't put it in place because of the advanced tech it is showcasing. It is more modern than the old Enterprise but takes place before TOS. It too doesn't quite fit in the Kelvin universe. It is like a reboot of a reboot. Very weird without knowing the details. BTW, what I really would love to see is Westworld because I read some mind-blowing reviews and fan reactions about it on the web.

The Orville really captures the essence of Star Trek. It comes so close to it that I'm still wondering HOW in the name of Gene they are getting away with it. I really hope they will be able to continue and give us more great episodes. The cast is awesome and it is great to watch a show that simply wants to entertain the audience and bring the fun back into scifi TV. Glen Larson once said it is important to get some humour into a show in order to lighten up the mood a bit, no matter how dark and desperate the premise of an episode was (even the old BSG had humour - and its premise was the end of the world!). :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I may not exaggerate too much when I say that you can build EVERYTHING out of paper.

Yes! It is a massive model and quite a sight with all her independent light circuits. She reminds me of the beautiful Voyager filming miniature.

I'd like to see STD :)D) but I don't have Netflix. I have a friend who's watching it but who thinks it wasn't Trek at all. After all I saw on Youtube I must say that it looks more like the new Battlestar Galactica show than Star Trek. My friend loves the Enterprise and Pike's portrayal though and would love to see a show with them. I still can't put it in place because of the advanced tech it is showcasing. It is more modern than the old Enterprise but takes place before TOS. It too doesn't quite fit in the Kelvin universe. It is like a reboot of a reboot. Very weird without knowing the details. BTW, what I really would love to see is Westworld because I read some mind-blowing reviews and fan reactions about it on the web.

The Orville really captures the essence of Star Trek. It comes so close to it that I'm still wondering HOW in the name of Gene they are getting away with it. I really hope they will be able to continue and give us more great episodes. The cast is awesome and it is great to watch a show that simply wants to entertain the audience and bring the fun back into scifi TV. Glen Larson once said it is important to get some humour into a show in order to lighten up the mood a bit, no matter how dark and desperate the premise of an episode was (even the old BSG had humour - and its premise was the end of the world!). :)

RF,

Here's the link to the CBS site. It looks like you have to subscribe to watch. Don't know if it costs anything or not.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

Glen Larson certainly had the right idea and his shows (when he was in control of them) were classics to say the least. Most of the stuff he did in the late 70's and 80's were the staples of the 7-9 pm times slot during the day. That was when TV was worth watching, without the 300+ channels of nothing in particular that we have today.

Westworld was interesting with Anthony Hopkins bringing his outstanding talents to the show. Some of the episodes were thought provoking, while others served as mere entertainment, and still others were just plain gory. Still haven't gotten around to seeing the second season. Maybe one day.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anthony is without doubt the main draw to this show, at least for me. Another big aspect is the photography from what I can tell from the trailers. WOW! The atmosphere in these short snippets alone is absolutely spectacular. The second season should be even better, especially the final episodes. The last one should be a mix of Fringe, Blade Runner, Ex Machina and Inception and would give a wholly new spin to the earlier episodes.

One thing preventing me from subscribing is that darn streaming process per se. I have a metered connection and I guess that my 10 GB of high speed volume would be eaten up fairly quickly while binge-watching. I suppose in my case it would be more efficient to get the DVD / BR sets cheap; and if I don't like what I see I still can get rid of them in the electronic bay again. ;)

A few years ago I saw the 5th season of the new Doctor Who. It was "interesting" because Who is pretty neglected on German TV. It left an impression on me that I bit the bullett and got the 4th season DVD set. I was blown away by the creativity of that show and got season 3 and the 1 & 2 in that order. I did not regret the purchase. So I guess history may repeat itself some day with some selected streaming shows..! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is MIND-BLOWING!!!

:Drinks::Drinks::Drinks:

The vac cleaner could double as a shuttle. There was a German SciFi show called "Raumpatrouille Orion" ("Space Patrol"). It was the first and only scifi TV show ever made in Germany. It aired in the late 60s and was shot in black and white. Numerous class A actors starred in the show. It had only seven episodes but gained a cult following similar to the old BSG mainly because of the charismatic stars, the flashy score and - the props! They were made from kitchen and household items - and you can tell what they are! Forks and ice cream spoons were part of the bridge consoles and the alien nemesis called the "Frogs" flew around in irons!

The great Marco Scheloske even made a model of the Orion:

http://www.phoxim.de/marco_scheloske_orion/marco_scheloske_orion.html

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I really like "The Orville', and the direction the show has taken. They nailed it!! :)

RF,

Here's the link to the CBS site. It looks like you have to subscribe to watch. Don't know if it costs anything or not.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

Glen Larson certainly had the right idea and his shows (when he was in control of them) were classics to say the least. Most of the stuff he did in the late 70's and 80's were the staples of the 7-9 pm times slot during the day. That was when TV was worth watching, without the 300+ channels of nothing in particular that we have today.

Westworld was interesting with Anthony Hopkins bringing his outstanding talents to the show. Some of the episodes were thought provoking, while others served as mere entertainment, and still others were just plain gory. Still haven't gotten around to seeing the second season. Maybe one day.

They let you see a few episodes, then you must pay. :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
I figured it out!!!

ca1nwgqn8gh21.png

Hmmm... dustbuster meets robot claw.;) Love it! :Grin:

Thanks for the blow up!thumbsup This will help in the design (when I get around to it).

Just a thought - for the lobster robot claw - the ribs near the back in the center could be made in an accordion fashion then place toothpicks in between to simulate piping and color them silver. The accordion assembly could be placed on top of some popsicle sticks which would give additional reinforcement. Just thinking.... Guess I have to get some ice cream bars and make a sacrifice for the sake of sci-fi.

Sky Seeker