last summer at steamtown

e-paw

some pics from a trip to steamtown in Scranton pa.

I wanted to post more , but the pics won't upload, ant I only seam to be able to post 2 at a time.

Attachments

• stownsumm07 066.jpg
    stownsumm07 066.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 11
  • stownsumm07 061.jpg
    stownsumm07 061.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 12

e-paw

steamtown 2

more pics

Attachments

• stownsumm07 076.jpg
    stownsumm07 076.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 10
  • stownsumm07 065.jpg
    stownsumm07 065.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 12

e-paw

steamtown 3

one last pic, ( it only took 50 tries)

Attachments

• stownsumm07 030.jpg
    stownsumm07 030.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 10

steamhead

WoW....Real live steam..!! Do you have to talk to St. Peter to get in..? :mrgreen:

When does this show take place..?? Gotta take it in one of these days.. :thumb:

e-paw

Steamtown is tucked up in the Pocono mountains of north east Pennsylvania. They are part of the national parks service (look at there web site for train schedules and special events).
Hope to see you there.
Steve.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Seems to be a lot of Canadian steam there, considering it's the US Parks Service that runs it...! ;) :D

Nice pictures. Do you have any more...?

Andrew

nkp174

Seems to be a lot of Canadian steam there, considering it's the US Parks Service that runs it...! ;) :D

Nice pictures. Do you have any more...?

Andrew

That's always been one of the ironies! IIRC, they swung a horse trade a few years ago which sent a Canadian locomotive elsewhere and brought another US locomotive there.

The fact is, those Canadian Pacific pacifics were some of the finest locomotives ever built. I've had a cab ride in one, and they are just plain nice locomotives in all the ways that the spec sheet can't report.

EDIT: They've also used a Baldwin plant 0-6-0 to drag a single passenger car around their yards. IIRC, they have been restoring a B&M 4-6-2 for a long time...and they've been restoring the 1361 (Pennsy K-4) the hard way for 15yrs...and an order of magnitude over budget...be careful in bringing Smithsonian types into your project unless they're named John White.

RobertInOntario

Wow, awesome pics! This really makes me want to be there!

Last summer, my wife & I and our two sons drove from Toronto to Strasburg, PA and had a great time riding on the Strasburg Railroad. We really enjoyed seeing two steam engines operating at the same time, passing each other, whistles blowing, etc.

On our drive home, we missed our exit and ended up heading toward Scranton! :eek::mrgreen: It was totally by chance, honest! :mrgreen: I said to my wife that we just had to stop in and see the railroad museum at Scranton!

Well, she agreed and the good news is that we got there and easily found the museum. :mrgreen: The bad news was that it was 5:00 p.m. and the museum was just closing. :cry: My sons and I still had a chance to poke round the steam engines that we on static display before a guard (politely) asked us to leave as they were closing. So at least we got to see Steamtown, even though it was closing.

Maybe we can return for a future visit one day. I'd love to visit there when the steam locos are operating. Thanks again for these pics!

Rob

e-paw

More Steamtown

I dug up a few more pics of my trip to Steamtown. Enjoy.

Attachments

• stownsumm07 043.jpg
    stownsumm07 043.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 9
  • stownsumm07 062.jpg
    stownsumm07 062.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 10
  • stownsumm07 069.jpg
    stownsumm07 069.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 10
  • stownsumm07 084.jpg
    stownsumm07 084.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 9
  • stownsumm07 050.jpg
    stownsumm07 050.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 6

RobertInOntario

Again, awesome pix -- I keep going back to look at them!

Do you know what type of locos these are or what their wheel arrangements are? I see that the CP loco is a pacific but couldn't quite tell what the CN one was.

Thanks,
Rob

steamhead

Oohhh man.....!!! That is RR heaven....!! I thought the same thing about that box car...Everything looks so clean..!!:mrgreen:

Triplex

Are the CP pacifics from the postwar batch made for light freight service?
The fact is, those Canadian Pacific pacifics were some of the finest locomotives ever built. I've had a cab ride in one, and they are just plain nice locomotives in all the ways that the spec sheet can't report.
If they are of that batch, then they're the same class as one on another tourist line that had the infamous 90s boiler explosion... and is still in one piece. Most US engines would have been destroyed. It seems the Canadian engines were built stronger, with higher safety margins.

MCL_RDG

Last summer I went to a wedding...

...in Scranton, PA. I did find the train museum and took several photos but what we found on the other side of town- just a block away from the working train station was Coney Island Texas Lunch. Been in operation since 1923. The original owner's kid sold it to a loyal patron. The original owner's kid didn't tell the new owner the building might be headed for demolition as Scranton is under "urban economic development" (it was like a ghost town). What's more- the kid that sold the business opened a new shop called the same thing on the "main" drag just a block away- up the hill and to the left from the pic. I think the kid was dumping the business on an unsuspecting soul and taking his cash.

Anyway- we enjoyed "The Original- Coney Island Texas Lunch" and had a few chili dogs and fries with root beers. I'm sure a lot of commuters who road the train ate at Coney Island Texas Lunch since 1923. The place reeks of atmosphere, onions, burgers and dogs.

Mark

Attachments

• CITxL2165m.jpg
    CITxL2165m.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CITxL2074m.jpg
    CITxL2074m.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 9

cn nutbar

hello---here's a few shots taken at steamtown a few years ago

1204061_004.jpg

1204061_0021.jpg

140406_010.jpg

and here's a few shots of cnr #3254 while still in revenue service

260406_050.jpg

15335_020.jpg

left_side_008.jpg

2005_082.jpg

steamhead

CN...These are some nice follow-up photos. Is the second version of #3254 modeled (fabricated, I should say...) after the original, or is this a happy coincidence..??

cn nutbar

hi gus---when Overland Models produced the CN S-1-B Mikado,I knew exactly how I wanted it painted and numbered having seen the original at Steamtown.Doctor Wayne did all the beautiful work on this engine ---I have to admit this is one of my favourite locomotives