James from Texas

Howdy Y'all,

My name is James B, I am 50 years old, and from San Antonio, TX. I have been an avid hobbyist all my life. I picked up the modelling bug from my father who was an airplane enthusiast, WW2 history buff, Korean War veteran, and an active member in the former Confederate Air Force, now the Commemorative Air Force.

As a teen, I built a few paper models, all scratch built. These were done mostly for school projects. A few that stand out in my memory:
1. A model of the Wright Flyer.
2. An Eiffel Tower.
3. A typical home for early German settlers in Texas.
4. and of course, the Alamo.

All made form poster board, construction paper, and old fashioned grocery sacks.

I did purchase a few paper models about 20 years ago, but never got around to building them. I ended up giving them away to a girlfriend's kid. I recently saw something on the web about paper modelling and it sparked and interest. I began looking into it again and was amazed at how the form had changed with the advent of computer design, web sharing etc. I was also blown away at the amazing selection of aviation/space subjects that I love that can be found in large scales, that will never be produced in plastic kit, or balsa kit form, with many of them being free to download. So I thought I would give it a try. I have spent several weeks going down the rabbit hole, downloading every free aviation/space kit in my scales I can find, reading and saving guides, and learning about printing and resizing.

I am almost exclusively interested in aviation/space subjects, with some interest in sailing ships. All of my plastic models are in 1/32 scale so I am focusing my paper models in 1/32 and 1/33. I am also interested in real space models, in 1/48 for rockets, 1/24 for Capsules and unmanned items. Bigger is better in Texas! I have never ventured to build a sailing ship in any medium, but may give one a try down the road.

I have mostly built plastic models, but have ventured into RC planes, and lately spent a lot of time with stick and tissue airplanes. I have always been on the artsy side. My brother got the sports gene, I got the asthma/allergy gene. I was, and still am good with most anything drawing and design related. As a teenager, I was always winning or placing at art contests in school for drawing, sculpture, and other related mediums.

Other than that, I am an outdoorsy kind of guy. Hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, archery etc. I am scuba certified, and currently working on my pilot's license.

Happily married with no children, because I do not like to share my toys.

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello James,

Welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things paper (and many other mediums for that matter as well). There are many members here with strong backgrounds in the aviation field (in one aspect or another), and are always willing to help. So, if you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction.

As for "real" space paper models, you might want to check this site out: https://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/

If you have any photos of anything that you have built, by all means, please post photos. We love seeing photos.
Speaking about photos; when you are building new projects, I would like to encourage you to post build threads. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as highlight problems areas that you may have issues with or have come up with a solution for said problems.

Once again welcome aboard. I hope that you feel at home and enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing your work!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello James,

welcome to the forum!

Thank you for posting an introduction. I saw you have already posted some of your builds. They look great! Please continue and:

Have fun and enjoy! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot James. Feel free to post pics in this thread of any model of any medium that yoou have made. We'd love to see your handiwork. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Heh! Your right next door! Next time the "Breeze" comes through ( about 2 minutes) I'll send you a welcome card...
Welcome to Zealot!!!
as always, if you got questions or need help!!! Just ask!

Heh! Your right next door! Next time the "Breeze" comes through ( about 2 minutes) I'll send you a welcome card...
Welcome to Zealot!!!
as always, if you got questions or need help!!! Just ask!
I live in San Antonio, but spend about half my time in Midland, TX for work. During the summers, My wife and I, and a few friends, love to camp and hike around Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. We made a drive up to CO last year and stopped at Alamogordo to see the museum and do a little sightseeing. Love me some New Mexico!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I drove through New Mexico once, when I was quite young. I was taken aback by it's beauty, then I went to Oklahoma. That's all I have to say about that. Only joking, I had a blast riding motorcycles there, on the farm roads, with nobody bothering you. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I live in San Antonio, but spend about half my time in Midland, TX for work. During the summers, My wife and I, and a few friends, love to camp and hike around Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. We made a drive up to CO last year and stopped at Alamogordo to see the museum and do a little sightseeing. Love me some New Mexico!
YEP! I lived a time in all 3, Cloudcroft, just down from the Inn, Ruidoso, Loved it...and Alamo..worked there but Lived in Tularosa.
Good to see ya!