Jac's Lines Scratchbuilding Challenge

steamhead

Whooaa...!!! Close..?? I'd say nearly identical..!! Great Job..!! You're a sure winner with this baby...Congratulations on a job excellently well done..!!

doctorwayne

Very nice work and a really good-looking model. I like the way you've painted and weathered it, too. :thumb::thumb:
As for the prototype, it looks like it may have been a grain elevator originally, then later converted to a coal dealer with the addition of the silos. Although, the silos could just be for additional grain storage. I think that you can letter this one to best suit your own purposes and plans for where you're going to use it.
I built the structure below from a photograph of a prototype that was originally a coal dealer, but had been converted to a grain storage facility. The original housing for the trackside coal elevator was moved to the "road" side of the structure, and a covered dumpshed added for grain trucks and wagons. The old dump pit was covered over with wood and metal siding. It's in this spot temporarily, as its hometown has yet to be built. The model is styrene.
100_5606.JPG

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW!!!!!!!

Joe, that looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BEAUTIFUL job man :thumb: :thumb:

Nice contrast of colors and textures as well, from the gray shingles to the brown silos and red siding, it's all well done. I especially like the weathering on the metal roof. Will you weather further around the base of the structure once it's worked into the layout? I see its on a foam base now...is that temporary, or will it be incorporated into the site?

ammoguy5

Hey!! I just took Amtrack from Boston to Toledo for Thanksgiving. I think We rode right past this structure!!! I tried to take a photo of it but I'll have to go thru my few hundred photo's of My trip too see...
Great structure and Your model is superb!!!

Bill Nelson

An Idea.

I was just revisiting this thread and had an idea. You had asked ," it it is a coal distributor, what is the warehouse space for? In Downtown Clarksville Tn we used to have an old style amonia based Ice plant, that was one of the last of it's kind . I went in there once to by a huge amount of ice for a keg party, and the old signs out back said Coal and Ice co. The warehouse side of this building is a little larger than that ice plant was.

Bill Nelson