I'm new here - want to build an airport terminal

IndyJets

I'm new here... looking to build a model of the old (1966-2008) Indianapolis International Airport terminal and landside facilities to display my 1:400 scale diecast model collection. I want to design and build this model from scratch and I am just looking for some basic suggestions on how to determine the required shapes, lay out the parts, etc. I have looked at several other print-and-build airport models from various sources and I'm just looking to create a customized one for this particular airport. I'm familiar with Inkscape as well as some basic 3D graphics. In fact I am doing the base layout design (taxiways, runways, ramp area, landside roads, etc.) in Inkscape and it is nearly finished.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Hello and welcome to Zealot!

If you are looking to design and build build architectural models then I would take a look at the 3D program Google Sketchup or Blender 3D. Both programs are free and can assist you in designing your model. Sketchup also has a couple of free plugins that assist with the creation of paper or card models.

From what I hear Google Sketchup is relatively easy to use. One of our moderators (@Revell-Fan ) uses the program to design his models and they come out looking awesome! Blender is open-source and free for anyone to use. Blender is a robust program that can pretty much do anything 3D wise but it has a steep learning curve.

I recommend the following website if you want to learn more about using Blender for architecture:

I primarily use Blender to model aircraft and other vehicles, but I have used it to model a few buildings and houses.

We have an extensive Resource section here on Zealot that may be of use to you.

If you are looking to see how a architectural model is designed and built, I'd recommend taking a look at these ones:

They're excellent models of Nuclear Power Plants which can give you ideas for your design process of an Airport Terminal.

Please feel free to reach out to any of us, myself included. Our moderators are really friendly, knowledgeable, and are always more than willing to help out in any way they can!

Good luck with your project and please post a build thread showing your progress on the project! It sounds like an interesting one!

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello Indy welcome at zealot. I think you gone like it here. Can you share some pictures of your builds.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot! You have come to the right place for all things paper & cardstock, as well as model building as a whole, and to build and hone your skills.

Many of the members here are designers and have experience in working with many different design programs, and are always willing to help you and answer any questions that you may have.

When you start a new project, I would like to invite you to post build threads of your projects. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as to highlight problem areas that you may need help with or show how you were able to solve said problem.

So, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I'd love t see your layout. If you have any pictures to show, please post them here.

Have fun and enjoy! :)

IndyJets

Here are a couple of images of what I've done so far. This is just the graphics for the base... the modeled portion of the airport will be 6x8 feet. I haven't started drawing the actual buildings yet except for the footprints marked out to show the location in order to aid in assembly.

The image showing the ramp area still doesn't show the whole thing. There will be a portion of the cross runway (14/32) and more taxiways as well.

I have temporary "placeholders" laid out to show the aircraft parking positions; once I get the marshaling lines drawn, these will of course be removed. Also a closeup of the Runway 23R threshold to show how the graphics will look up close. These are fully FAA-compliant in terms of colors and dimensions. The initial rendering is drawn to a scale of 1 pixel per foot. Prior to printing I will convert to a high-res version (scale up 900%) then print at 300 dpi to arrive in 1:400 scale. This artwork is all vector so there will be no loss when enlarging.

In progress 10.jpgIn progress 9.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
MOST IMPRESSIVE!!!
I am looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!
By all means, please start a thread on the development of this airfield.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot! I was a pilot for a while. Looking at what you have done already, it looks like you have this down. If you pick a year, you can probably find a well detailed image searching with Google Images.

IndyJets

Welcome to Zealot! I was a pilot for a while. Looking at what you have done already, it looks like you have this down. If you pick a year, you can probably find a well detailed image searching with Google Images.
That would actually be the reverse of the process I'm doing. I started with a Google Earth image and am redrawing it to bring everything to exact dimensions and bring in details (markings, etc.) that didn't show up in the original low-res image.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
As usual, I am late to the party,
Welcome aboard! You'll nerve find a more wretched hive of...... erppp,, You'll never find a better community of like minded hobbyists. We all do our dangest to get along here on Zealot.