How to Scratch Build

SonOfAGun2501

Esteemed Member Extroadinaire
This is more looking for help than anything. I have often wanted to add more detail to some of my models but not really sure how to. How does one construct extra pieces for their models do you design them on the computer or just make them out of bits of paper? Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
For me, allot of it depends on the part and how much detail do I want to inject into that part (or project as a whole).
Many times I will just raise or recess an area with pieces of the component that I want to add detail to, by isolating the parts, printing them out and layering them how I need (please look through my "Detailed Thunder Fighter" thread to see what I mean: http://www.zealot.com/threads/detailed-thunder-fighter-project.172433/).

Another good person to ask about this (directly), is @silveroxide. He is a master when it comes to scratch building extra detail parts for existing projects as well as scratch building entire project from the beginning.

Good luck with it. I look forward to see what you come up with.

SonOfAGun2501

Rhaven Blaack, thank you for your input, it's a big help. I will definitely check out your thread. Also, thanks for pointing me to a person who might also be able to help. Truly appreciated.

silveroxide

I have not replied to this querry earlier due to other projects on hand. One of the first things that I do when I decide to build a model or design one, is that I research the vehicle or a model already done on the subject. I copy as many textures that I can find around the net and cut, splice and paste. I have so many models built, that it is hard to direct you to a specific model with added details, but one of them is the ALIENS APC on which I went overboard on the details.. If the model I build does not have a cockpit or interior, I research it and build my own. A way to cheat, is to have a parts bin of extra plastic model parts, a BITZ box. Feel free to check out my builds and most of my build threads show how I made the extra parts. Enjoy and hope to see your works soon.

SonOfAGun2501

Silveroxide, thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I am quite eager to check out your builds. Especially that Aliens APC. Thank you for your feedback.