HOn3 drive units

N

nachoman

I am attempting to scratchbuild a Magma Arizona 2-4-2 in HOn3, but need some help with making the mechanized parts.

First off, I am in need of some drivers, 34" diameter. What driver diameters are available in HOn3, and by whom? I was thinking about going a bit large with MDC 2-8-0 drivers, unless I could find something else. My original plan was to build a frame and attatch a NWSL geabox and a small motor - but now I am considering the possibility of adapting an N-scale mechanism, and widening the gauge. Is it possible to re-gauge the bachmann N scale 0-4-0 by substituting longer axles? It's a pretty tiny loco, and I was also considering making it HOn30, as I need something to run on an 30" branch anyway.

Thoughts?
Kevin

C

Catt

Kevin,
My thoughts are just go ahead and build it in HOn30.It would save a lot of work and just maybe some disapointment along the way.

Just be sure to keep us posted on your project and take lots of pictures. :D

And while I'm thinking ,Welcome to the Gauge.

N

nachoman

Sure...

i just pulled this to the top of my project pile. I haven't done much work on this in well over a year. My goal was to build a working mechanism before I went much further on the superstructure. Anyway, here is the prototype:

http://narrowmind.railfan.net/242MARR3.jpg

Kevin

Attachments

• MARR#4.jpg
    MARR#4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 116

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I acquired this fully assembled, and cannot find a manufacturer's name on it. Maybe someone will recognize it, or you might be able to use the picture to find one. Drivers are 36" dia, and overall wheelbase, pilot to trailing, is 18'.
The frame is diecast, and the boiler/cab, plastic.

Attachments

• shsd#2.jpg
    shsd#2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 81
N

nachoman

from a quick google search, this looks like an Erie Limited model imported by sunset back in the mid 80's. Quite interesting and would work perfectly if it were cheaper and still available. This is a long-term project and I have plenty of time to search ebay...

Kevin

jetrock

About the Bachmann N scale 0-4-0: It is possible to scoot the drivers out a little bit to enable it to run on HOn3 track--the difference is only about 1mm or so, so you don't actually have to replace the axles. I did it with my Bachmann 0-4-0 with no ill effects.