Home from surgery

rogerw

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got home from the hospital this morning. It went pretty good but orthoscope was not a option so they had to cut the shoulder open. I got at least a couple of months of rehab. Thank god for pain pills because its pretty sore Thanks all

Glad to hear that you are home from the hospital and that things went good, now is your chance to get caught up in some of that armchair railroading, yes rehab takes a long time, we seem not to heal as quickly as when we were younger. Do take care and let us know how things are progressing, at least now you are on the way to recovery..Ron..

ezdays

Out AZ way
Roger,

I wish you the best. I went through the same thing just about this time two years ago, although they were able to do the ortho thing in my case. But healing takes time and don't try to rush it or they'll run you through the mill all over again.

Typing one-handed isn't fun or easy, but keep us posted.

jesso

Hope the pain goes down soon. Just think of this as a good time to learn the use of your other hand :)

iis612

Glad to hear that you made it through. Did the Doctor say that you will recover 100%?
This is a good time for you to catch up on some reading at least.

steamhead

Roger...Hope you heal fast & well. Just make up your mind you'll only be 50% for a while and not try to rush things...:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey Roger,
Glad to hear things went well. Rest up, enjoy the benefits of modern pharmocology, and heal soon!
Ralph

rogerw

Thank you all. today feels better than yesturday and im sure it will all get better. The hard part now is I get about two to three hours of sleep at a time and get up for 5 ,6 hours. cant wait to get a good nights sleep. Don when you had your shoulder did you sleep in a recliner?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thank you all. today feels better than yesturday and im sure it will all get better. The hard part now is I get about two to three hours of sleep at a time and get up for 5 ,6 hours. cant wait to get a good nights sleep. Don when you had your shoulder did you sleep in a recliner?
No, what I did was sleep on a couch. That way I could prop my back against the back of the couch and I wouldn't be tempted to roll on my left side. I have a recliner, but I couldn't get comfortable enough sleeping on my back. I did it that way until the sling came off, which was about three weeks. Some are successful with using the recliner, the couch worked best in my case.

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't start using you arm until they say it's OK. What did they do to you, repair a torn rotator cuff? I had that plus a torn laberum. I'll tell you this, it was worth having it done, no regrets.:thumb: :thumb:

rogerw

Hey Don same here with the recliner cant sleep in it. I am sleeping on the couch but after 2 or 3 hours my side gets sore and since I cant roll to the other side I get up. I detached 1 tendon on the rotator cuff and the doc said something about my bicep tendon being messed up and he detached that and relocated it. The messed up part is the rotator tendon was "only" 30% torn when I went in for surgery 8 months ago and they just cleaned it up and hoped it didnt rip anymore. So much for hoping.:cry:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Hope the shoulder heals quick.
My uncle had surgery a few years back for a torn rotator cuff.
I remember well the pain he went through so enjoy those meds!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Y
Hey Don same here with the recliner cant sleep in it. I am sleeping on the couch but after 2 or 3 hours my side gets sore and since I cant roll to the other side I get up. I detached 1 tendon on the rotator cuff and the doc said something about my bicep tendon being messed up and he detached that and relocated it. The messed up part is the rotator tendon was "only" 30% torn when I went in for surgery 8 months ago and they just cleaned it up and hoped it didnt rip anymore. So much for hoping.:cry:
Yeah, sleeping in one position stinks, but rolling over will keep you awake for a lot longer.:eek: :eek: You realize, now that they've put pins in your shoulder, you're going to mess up any MRI's that they might want to give you from now on? They tried to take them about six months after my surgery and they didn't work. They were trying to find out why I showed two small metal pieces floating around. I still had a lot of pain and limited motion, so they went in and took out one of the pieces that broke off of the pins, left the other one in and removed some scar tissue. Within days, the pain was gone and I had full motion again. I wish my right shoulder was as good as my left now. I messed that one up when I fell off my bike a few months ago, but so far the shots have helped, so I'm not ready for more surgery.