HO tanks cars?

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
I know someone posted about liking tank cars, I need help identifying a close match for this tank car:
weed_tanker_3qtr_view.jpg

weed_tanker_full_side.jpg

weed_train_other_cars.jpg

I was going to go with an Athearn 62' tank car, or a Walther 65' LPG car, but both are not close matches. The biggest issue would be the way the tank is welded to the "frame" for the trucks. The hoses can be over looked, I'll add them myself. The access ladder is of minor importance, the hatches low, as I can make them myself (fairly simple).

If anyone knows of a car thats close, or a few cars that can be combined (A-line does make tank car ends I can use), please let me know! josh AT blockchoice DOT com, or just reply here!

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
The Athearn 62' would be the closest, but again, either way you tackle these cars, it'd require some extensive scratchbuilding.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I got rid of both my Athearn 62'-er and my Walthers 65'-er, so I don't have them on-hand for a comparison, but I'd think that the Walthers car would be an easier starting point. If I'm not mistaken, the Athearn car has a full-length frame, whereas the frameless Walthers car is closer, at least as far as truck mounting goes, to your prototype. The Athearn one is easy enough to modify, though, if it's more readily available. I made mine into a 50' frameless type, copying an on-site field drawing that I made. Pictures not available until I get a scanner, though.;)
What's the prototype used for? My guess would be for use with a weed sprayer car.

Wayne

N

nachoman

i think it is a weed sprayer train. I am curious what that interesting-looking, cut-up boxcar is for!

kevin

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Yeah, its a weed sprayer train. The boxcar is the control car. I have an Athearn 62' car, but the brackets & welds there are wrong. My Walthers cars have not came in yet, so I can not compair them.

Here's a shot of my weed sprayer car:
atex0006_30.jpg