HO stations, depots, and terminals.

toptrain1

My current station I am working on is a Kibri one from the 1950- 60's. So far I have repaired on e of the three. Replaced the center one completly with a new supporting structure and repainted the three roof sections. I am looking to get a replacement for the missing L shaped balcony or scratch build one. After that is done the station will br considered by me redone.
In the first picture the long roof front corner I have repaired using a pice from the old center roof. It tool alot of shapeing, fileing and sanding. The center roof I have replaced the surface and side supports. it still to be painted. In the second photo the center roof is in place and all roof surfaces have been repainted.
This is a trackside view of the Kribi station.

The locomotive in lower right corner is a Bachmann 4-4-0 Western Atlantic. And the bus is Bernie the Bus.
Kibri_4249.JPG

This second photo is a street side view of this Kirbi station.Kibri street side 2.JPGKibri street side 1 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

I kit bashed a station , using parts of two of those stations , to make a station , and company headquarters for a layout I built when I was in high school in the early 1970s.

I think I still have the box one of the kits came in. I looked in my bungalow workshop, and it's not there. I will be doing th the lake house later this week. If I find the box, I can properly identify it

I spliced two of the upstairs log sections together, and shortened the stucco lower story so it was the same length as the log upper story.

I carved a random stone pattern into the stucco lower story. I have some black and white photos of the kitbash at the farm, and will likely be there some next week.

toptrain1

Elizabeth Union Station.
I forgot I posted this here and didit again, Then I deleated the copy.
Getting away from HO station kits and into real station I would like to build. First the Elizabethtown Union Station. built to what was allowed by at the diamonds of the New Jersey Railroad and the Central Railroad on New Jersey, this station provided for a true Union station for the two mentioned railroads. I dont have a history on this station only a lithograph showing the rail-crossing diamonds and the station structure. This station was in use and became a PRR station after 1871 when The New Jersey Railroad and Transportation company was taken over by the PRR. They would use it for another 20+ years before replacing it somewhere in the 1890's. There was a misshape while the PRR controlled this station, and their freight handling structure that is seen here on the left side of this lithograph disappears. I would imagine knowing PRR history in NJ that it burned down. Covering the time period from this disappearance to finally when the replacement station will be built it seems nothing was done to provide for baggage handling. But it is OK because the New Jersey people are tough and can handle it. ( My Gramer is just fine! ). 1862 Rail Road Depot_Elizabeth_.jpg

Last edited:

toptrain1

Union Station at Elizabethtown NJ. When these 2 companies sellected the location for their tracks, the crossroads chosen was on the north end of the very populated area as period maps show. Thie station was known as the Broad Street Station. All previous intreses were in the Port area where the Auther Kill and Newark Bay come together. After the railroads were established the center of Elizabeth moved west and the station area became the center of town. Everything to the east became just another neighborhood.
The Lithograph for this station seen here was made for the Union County Map of 1862, dating the lithograph to a year before, the map date at 1861. The view shows a balanced structure of the wedge-shaped shared depot with 2 wings extending on each rail side for the handling of freight. After the takeover of this station by the PRR sometime in 1871 the freight attached building disappears. I would guess a fire caused its removal. The freight section for the CRRofNJ remains till this station is replaced. a drawing showing this station with only one freight wing is seen in a well-known insurance map.
Now the New Jersey Railroad was know for two things. One being it was one of the safest railroads in the country and for its size carried over 1 million passenger a year from the 1850's on, and in a few years went to over 2 million passengers carried. The short history below will add other things this railroad accomplishments.

RAG V-58 P-1256 history NJRR.JPG

Attachments

• Elizabrth Union Station 2 s.JPG
    Elizabrth Union Station 2 s.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Elizabeth depot 1b - Copy.JPG
    Elizabeth depot 1b - Copy.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

toptrain1

This is my first layout I built in my first house in Metuchen. I painted my locomotives a dark green with silver smokeboxes and red cab roofs.
frank

10-20-2010 03;46;22PM_1.JPG

toptrain1

My biggest station is this Kirbi oldie seen here powered by my Varney Streamlined, customized PRR K4 with Tyco/Mantua streamline aluminim passenger cars.
framk

P2100002.JPG

Last edited:

toptrain1

Here is my Cary/ Penn Line PRR N1 2-10-2 pulling a long freight past the big station at bergen Point. This locomotive when I got it from a freind was missing a cab had no front pilot, leading or trailing truch. The drive is a Penn Line decapod one and the boiler was from a 2-10-2 Cary conversion kit. The frame extension was with it. I scrach built the front pilot raised walkway and large brake air tank and added the front ladder as the prototype has. The cab is slightly larger PRR one I found in a parts box at a train show. I took all the parts listed. Put them in a box. Shook it alot and walla! a PRR N1 apeared. It reality it was a little harder than that to build this! But it all came together.

Frank

It's a Heck of a day!

steam PRR 2 10 2 7345 d3.JPG

Last edited:

toptrain1

This is my Beautifull Hornby Princess Royal 4-6-2 powered, with the European Pullman passenger train Golden Arrow at the Bergen Point Station.

frank

Golden Arrow at station.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some shots look like they were taken of real stations. I like your layout a lot! :)

toptrain1

Revell Fan; Thank you for the nice words but the quality of this picture is in the detail of the large station with train, and not of my layout. I wish it was!
two more good posts are on the next page.

frank

Last edited: