Help with a layout design

CAS

got it work now, can be clicked on.
I don't know for sure which are you open sides, but it doesn't matter, no matter which way is to the open side you have your yards/switching areas more than two feet from the operator, and you have to reach over other tracks to get to them. I don't think anything good can come from that scenario.
here it is again, i marked which side is which.
I don't see a pupose to the oval running around the top section
I thought it would give my mainline a little more distance.
To get that track on the right down to the bottom part, it is going to have to go outside, or it is going to be a crossing. There's not enough length to get over or under.
that track will be ground level. Does that mean my little elevated town up on top would have enough room for my grade?
All of that said, my biggest objection would be that you have enough space to get away from a donut, duckunder configuration.
This is why i had asked for help with a design on the forums. Creativity is not a good point for me.

baldwinjl, i really do appreciate all you are doing for, and with me. And no need to worry, i won't ask you to come help build it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: sign1.

CAS

baldwinjl

Here is kind of the shape I was thinking, and a way the mainline could get around. The pic is oriented like your original, open right and down.

I'd put a double ended staging area at the far right, a bit below the track in front of it. The main would be hidden there, and just run straight through.

It might be possible (in fact I'm sure it is, with a little time) to have the mainline run twice around. The downside would be passing through each 'scene' four times, but I think you could hide a lot of that. It would give a long main that way, but it might be more complexity than you are after right now.

cas1.jpg

Jeff

I may try to add a bit over the weekend, but like I said, mine is calling me!

CAS

Jeff, i understand that you have your own work to do. I really appreciate it. I really like the design you came up with.
Here is a design someone designed for me a while back. i did really like it. I had built the benchwork for it. Then i ran into some problems.
1st, at the top where i placed the box over the crossing. I didn't know if that was a grade or a crossing. I always thought it was a grade. But was not able to figure ho to get it to work.
2nd. where i also put a box at a reverse section. I didn't understand on how reverse track worked. As to wiring them. but since then i have read up about the dcc module they have for a reverse.
The benchwork is no longer here. i dismantled it some time ago.
Well here is a picture of it.

Jeff, thanks again for your help

CAS

baldwinjl

I enjoy doing this, I wouldn't do it if I didn't want to! It's just a balancing act between all things I want to do, and the ones I have to do!

There is a lot to like in that setup. I think it has to be a grade crossing, which is too bad, because I'd want to get the two scenes at the bottom to different levels. In fact I'd probably lose the track that's connecting them, which also gets rid of a doubleslip. That way there would be a distinct yard, and a distinct industrial area. I think I'd leave the reversing capability, but I might hide it a bit. I'd have to think about that.

On the one I did last night, I was thinking that since you have access from the right, I might leave that part wide all the way down. I'll see what I can think of, sometime after turkey, and perhaps turkey recovery!

Jeff

CAS

I'll see what I can think of, sometime after turkey, and perhaps turkey recovery!
Enjoy your turkey :thumb:. I am about to leave and enjoy my turkey also.

I think it has to be a grade crossing, which is too bad
I just went back to the original plan. It does not indicate a crossing up at the top. It shows taht they are each straight tracks.

because I'd want to get the two scenes at the bottom to different levels. In fact I'd probably lose the track that's connecting them, which also gets rid of a doubleslip. That way there would be a distinct yard, and a distinct industrial area.
i could always remove that reverse by the yard at the bottom. Which it would eleminate the crossover. And maybe add a divider????

CAS

baldwinjl

Enjoy your turkey :thumb:. I am about to leave and enjoy my turkey also.

I just went back to the original plan. It does not indicate a crossing up at the top. It shows taht they are each straight tracks.

i could always remove that reverse by the yard at the bottom. Which it would eleminate the crossover. And maybe add a divider????

CAS
If we are talking about the same place, yes! Let it stew a bit. Some of the most interseting ideas seem to come when I am not thinking about it!

Nomad

Cas, There are two reversing tracks in that yard. Look at the one I marked.

Loren

Attachments

• cas.jpg
    cas.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 16

CAS

Cas, There are two reversing tracks in that yard. Look at the one I marked.
Thanks Nomad.
Thats the 1 i was thinking about, too. I had removed it on the design, and was trying to think about changing the crossover on the top of the design.

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the other one either.
I can always get rid of that 1 too.

CAS

CAS

Here it is with no reverse's, and the top changed.

Maybe add a river on the left side, not to leave that area empty.

CAS

CAS

I'm gonna add a small engine service facilty that would extend out from the bottom left hand corner. And be about 1' or 1.5' wide x 2' to 3' long.

I had ordered these items for it.
Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 683-1211 ,
Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 683-1103 ,
and Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 683-1105.
I have this 2 stall loco maintenance building already built, by Bachmann

And also purchased a roll of cork for this area.
Probably will start this section in a few days after i receive my order. Then start the rest off the layout after the holidays.

CAS

CAS

I was thinking about constructing the top right corner of the layout first. I will be building them in 5' sections. Then something about wiring crossed my mind, and has me a little confused now.

My layout will be DCC. I have the DigiTrak Zephyr. I will also be buying additional throttles. I was thinking about have my DigiTrak Zephyr hooked up at the lower part, where the staging track is at. But i would i wire the layout if i start at the top right hand corner. Will i be able to use terminal strips, to connect the bus wires to each 5' sections?
Or should i start on my lower left hand corner first? Because the Zephyr will be hooked up there. And if i am able to use the terminal strips, it will be easier to wire. I am not sure :confused:, so i am asking for some help.

I want to be able to test run trains on the section after the track and roadbed is laid, before i start to build my next section.

Thanks,
CAS

As far as single vs. double track, on a smaller layout double is generally better, since there isn't enough room to have enough or long enough passing tracks to make it workable. In this space, you could probably go either way.

I know you say you've bought layout books, but have you bought THE track design book, Track Planning for Realistic Operations? If not, you should get it.

To run the equipment you are talking about in the timeframe you are talking about, I think you need to be thinking a branch line, and 4 axle diesels, making the single track main feel right. Otherwise, I think you'd want more, and larger cars. Actually, I think it works out pretty well.

Given that, I think that aiming for a minimum radius of 14" is probably about right. Using TPFRO (the book from above, too much to type) that gives us 'squares' of 16", so the space is 6x7.5 squares, which is pretty good sized. I think a G shape would make sense in this area, generally the shape nkp drew. I'd put staging along the longer open side, I think, behind a block. That way it is hidden, and yet totally accessible. I'd try to separate the loops as they go through the same area by a few inches vertically, i order to make it look like two different scenes. I'm not sure I'd try for two major towns, unless you want a real point to point (which could work well). By the time you get turned around I don't know that there is really room with out them seeming to be right on top of each other. I'd have one main town, with the yard and engine servicing, perhaps with an interchange to the main line. I f you wanted another town, maybe it would be a small passenger depot and team track.

I'd really like to suggest doing some doodling on your own. There is a layout in your head, you just need to right tools to get it out!

Jeff

Thanks for the book recommendation, it's great. I'm reading it now and it's a great help in the way I'm thinking about my layout.
dhd