Hello! From the Frigid Northern Wilds

UrbaneArcadian

Hello All!

I am UrbaneArcadian, and I’m a long time plastic modeller from Canada who has recently gotten into card modeling. I am loving how much sci-fi modeling I am seeing on these forums, and that there are many models available in larger scales. In the plastic modelling world, the sci-fi models are getting few and far between, smaller, snap-tite, and expensive. The few that are available, are quite often sold out.

Now, with paper modeling, I have enough models to keep me going for pretty much ever... and a lot of them are at larger scales. I am really looking forward to making these models and sharing them with a community that seems pretty passionate about their hobby!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Arcadian,

welcome to the forum! :)

You have found the right place to be. We have many, many SciFi fans (myself included). My colleague Rhaven Blaack and I love "Battlestar Galactica" and "Buck Rogers" in particular.

The lack of certain plastic models brought me to paper modeling, too. When I decided to give something back to the fantastic community which offers so many spectacular kits for free I became a designer myself. It wasn't planned - it just happened. ;)

I'd love to see pictures of your previous works. Feel free to post them here, please. BTW, we do have a plastic and mixed media section, so you are not limited to paper models.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Let me also welcome you to Zealot!
If you ever have any questions Just Ask! Someone will always be happy to help!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot!!!

Like Revell-Fan Mention, You have indeed come to the right place for all things paper/stock! The availability of SCI-FI models in paper/cardstock is far greater than that of all other mediums combined.

If you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask. We will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Yes, by all means, please post photos of your previous works. We love seeing photos. WIth that being said, I would like to encourage you to post build threads of things that you build in the future. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, or to highlight an area that you are having problems or issues with or to show a solution for that you have come up with.

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and I look forward to seeing your work!!!

UrbaneArcadian

Thank you all for the welcome! Unfortunately, previous models I have built all fell victim to a series of moves the family had to make, and any photos I had fell victim to a data loss that happened some time ago. A perfect storm unfortunately. What I was able to save were some reference photos that an old airforce friend sent me, and some trip photos we had, so there is that. If there is a place where those might be useful to anyone I could post those... the reference photos I mean.

This is the main reason I started looking for sci-fi models again. I would love to build some of the old models I had, such as the original Enterprise D kit, the babylon 5 star-fury, as well as a few other Star Trek kits, but because they are out of production, a model that was $30 when I first got it is now $130. With two new mouths to feed, that is just a little rich for my blood.

I do want to post some build threads though. I have never really had a community to share my hobby with, so I am kind of excited.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I fully understand your loss and not having money. I lived in Eastern Europe for a few years. There, I did a great deal of building. When I moved back to the US, I was not able to bring my collection with me. As for the money issues. That is another reason why I love paper/cardstock model building, as opposed to plastic. IF you make a mistake (or worse yet break anything) with plastic, you (generally) have to purchase a completely not kit and start over. However, with paper/cardstock, if you make a mistake, you can just print out a new parts sheet/s and start over again with just that component or the entire model again, with little out of pocket expense. Not only that, but if you with to add greebles to a paper/cardstock model, it is cheap as well. all that you have to really do (for the most part), is just print out more parts sheets with those parts and laminate to the thickness that you want to either raise or recess the components that you want to augment. Or you can create the component by scratch build it and add it in (again with little to no out of pocket expense).

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You've stumbled on the large Sci-Fi paper model site. You wouldn't believe the size of some models available, and they are FREE!! That is the main theme of this forum, FREE models, and much sharing of knowledge. Welcome to Zealot. :)