Happy Halloween Bat Cones! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
7,746
5,658
113
Vreden
It has become a tradition that my colleagues at work get a small treat for Halloween. This year I chose the hanging bat cones from brother:


The pattern is very simple and consists of only three parts with two of which are mirrored (the wings). Since the provided pattern was too small for my purpose I enlarged it by about 75 % and printed the outlines. I also made another pattern for a coloured inlay to spicen up the look a bit.

DSCF5611.jpg

The pattern was glued to some scrap cardboard and cut out. This gave me three stencils for tracing on black and purple card.

DSCF5583.jpg

I used a white pencil so that the lines were easier to see on the black card.

DSCF5584.jpg

I always make a limited edition of 15 pieces which are given to those who I meet first as soon as I enter our house. So it's kind of a lottery who will get one. Naturally, if someone doesn't get one and asks me for one I'll make another. ;)

DSCF5595.jpg

15 bodies and 30 wings had to be cut out.

To bend the bodies into a smooth cones I brushed them with water.

DSCF5597.jpg

DSCF5598.jpg

DSCF5599.jpg

DSCF5601.jpg

The inlays were traced, cut out and formed:

DSCF5612.jpg

DSCF5613.jpg

DSCF5614.jpg
 
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
7,746
5,658
113
Vreden
They were attached to the bodies. In order to avoid a sloppy result I only put a ring of glue around the top area of the cones:

DSCF5615.jpg

DSCF5616.jpg

DSCF5617.jpg

DSCF5618.jpg

Then I punched through the hole marks - which was a huge mistake (more on that later).

DSCF5620.jpg

SPOOKY EYES! :)

DSCF5624.jpg

A pair of waggling eyes was glued to the face:

DSCF5622.jpg

DSCF5625.jpg

Not bat so far..! ;) :D

DSCF5632.jpg

Some ice (s)cream, please?

DSCF5633.jpg
 

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
7,746
5,658
113
Vreden
Some string of about 50 cm length was knotted to the holes.

DSCF5631.jpg

DSCF5636.jpg

DSCF5638.jpg

The wings got some marks with a silver sharpie.

DSCF5621.jpg

and were attached to the body.

DSCF5639.jpg

I used the seamline on the back for sligning. So far so good.

However, when I lifted up the bat I noticed something very bad (no pun intended, this time):

DSCF5641.jpg

DSCF5642.jpg

The bat is extremely top or back heavy and tends to turn to the back when it is hung up. Reason for that: The hole marks were wrong! They need to be about 3 cm away from their designed position. I took one cone and punched in another set of holes but I missed the spot; it was still not correct. I had no time and no material for another try (I would have definitely destroyed one bat to find the ideal spots) and chose another solution.

DSCF5643.jpg

I made some small cuts into the wing thumb:

DSCF5644.jpg

DSCF5645.jpg
 
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
7,746
5,658
113
Vreden
The string was pushed through the incisions.

DSCF5646.jpg

To make sure that they don't get out the top area was covered with a strip of scrap card:

DSCF5659.jpg

DSCF5660.jpg

DSCF5661.jpg

DSCF5663.jpg

This solves the balancing issue and enables you to adjust the angle of the cone when it is hung up by pulling the strings back or forth.
 

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Administrator
Moderator
Aug 1, 2009
7,746
5,658
113
Vreden
What surprised me the most was how simple they are to make. Last year's spider was much more labour-intense. A shame that the hole positions were wrong, but thank goodness there was a solution which also enhanced the final look: If you pull the strings you'll move the wings in and out, so they bow naturally like a real bat. Of course the wings will flap if you move the cone up and down, too. :)