Hand cart ("Bollerwagen") 1:5 scale

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello fans!

The model I give you here is somewhat unusual and I suppose many of you (especially the ones who know me a bit better) will be surprised to know that I have chosen this subject. However I did it for a very good reason.

Recently at work, a dear colleague of mine asked me if I knew a good model of a hand cart (aka "Bollerwagen" in German) which was supposed to be a present for a good friend of hers. I believed that there was already a hand cart paper model available in the www. To my surprise my search was unsuccessful. It seemed that a hand cart papercraft had not been made yet. I promised her to come up with a good model in a few days after I had completed the Atlantia base. She liked the idea and so I swang into action.

There were a lot of pictures and plans available in the web, however, these were for the real thing and not for a model. Nevertheless, they showed me that every Bollerwagen obeyed a specific design scheme: four wheels, a long yoke-like handle and a tub-like body made of wooden boards. Ironically the one I liked best was the one we used at work. I took some pictures for reference, wrote down the dimensions and drew some sketches.

When I looked closely at the parts I had to make I realized that the main components were simple boards which were screwed and / or nailed together. Once disassemled these components were flat and would remind me of - pieces of laminated paper! That led to another challenge: I decided this model would be the first I would design without the aid of a 3D program. Only brains, maths and a sketch book.

I started working on the model on Friday and began translating the dimensions into a new CorelDRAW document. That took about 45 minutes. The alpha test began on Sunday and lasted from 11 AM to 11 PM (with pauses; I took my time ;) ). A few minor corrections were made on Monday during my lunch break and the final pieces were attached three hours ago. All in all it took me about 16 hours to make it.

OK, enough words, here come the pics! :)

I began with the tub:

DSCF8315.jpg

DSCF8316.jpg

DSCF8312.jpg

DSCF8317.jpg

DSCF8319.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the handle:

DSCF8320.jpg

The bottom end has two holes. A rod is pushed through them:

DSCF8322.jpg

DSCF8324.jpg

The rod is held in place by two mandibles which are attached to the front axle box:

DSCF8323.jpg

DSCF8325.jpg

The mandibles are inserted into two holes in the box and glued to the back side:

DSCF8327.jpg

DSCF8328.jpg

DSCF8329.jpg

DSCF8330.jpg

A stopper is attached.

DSCF8331.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Before the box is closed a rod attached to a stopper is pushed through the hole in the top.

DSCF8334.jpg

DSCF8336.jpg

DSCF8337.jpg

DSCF8342.jpg

DSCF8344.jpg

The rod is pushed through two holes in another box and glued to it.

DSCF8345.jpg

DSCF8348.jpg

DSCF8349.jpg

The front axle box is closed...

DSCF8350.jpg

... and rotates freely.

DSCF8351.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The front box is glued to the bottom of the tub together with the aft axle box.

DSCF8354.jpg

Each wheel gets a tube inside:

DSCF8358.jpg

DSCF8363.jpg

DSCF8364.jpg

The perimeter is glued together from behind with a paper strip.

DSCF8367.jpg

DSCF8371.jpg

The wheel is closed.

DSCF8372.jpg

Two rods are pushed through the axle boxes. Paper strips are rolled around and glued to the rods in order to hold the axles in position.

DSCF8375.jpg

DSCF8376.jpg

The wheels are attached.

DSCF8378.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is COOL!!!
You did an OUTSTANDING JOB on this project!
I like how you were able to make it fully functional!
I hope that the friend of your colleague likes this!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you! :)

What impresses me most is that the front axle and handle move EXACTLY like the real ones; the fork even sags a bit like the original. In addition, the cart is REALLY fast! You must not put it on an inclined plane..! ;)

I'll add the kit to the Resource section as soon as the instructions are ready.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's pun time:

"A cart made of card is not only a card model but also a cart model."
(Revell-Fan, Dec 2014)

:D:D:D

gilgamesch

Coool. I got a similar one in my garage and my kids love it to be moved around with it…
Awsome that the model is functional like the real one!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My colleague would have been pleased even if the model had been static. I thought, IF you do it then do it RIGHT! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
She was E-L-A-T-E-D, to say the least. Everyone who saw it could not believe what they were looking at (for the record: I am the only (paper) modeler there). Even my boss was overwhelmed. Actually she hoped my colleague would forget picking it up and leave it in the office. ;) Well, I told her that would not be a big problem since I had the original plans and could make more of them anytime. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to hear that your colleague liked the cart.
As for your boss liking it and not wanting it to go, you should make another one for her as well (as a christmas present).