Grain Elevator/Mill

Nazgul

Having decided to start my new layout after the holidays, it was a perfect time to start looking at possible structures that will go on it. One industry I needed was a grain elevator.

In the course of tossing ideas back and forth with Kurt/cnw1961 (I was showing him kits, he was showing me prototype pics), he found this:
Wollenberg Elevator

For more pics and drawings you can go here:
Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER) (American Memory from the Library of Congress) Type "wollenberg grain" in the search box.

After seeing "Wollenberg" I wanted to scratch-build it, but.............I DIDN'T KNOW HOW!!!!
Kurt saved me, and graciously scaled the drawings and made templates for me (for a little taste of the process see his "house" thread):
http://forum.zealot.com/t151596/

Anyway....after many questions, followed by more questions, I finally got to work and here is the result:

photos104.jpg

photos310.jpg

photos2572.jpg

photos243-1.jpg

photos254.jpg

I made the tarpaper roof out of sand paper and the metal roofing is Campbell's corrugated metal that I cut into individual squares.

I would like to thank Kurt for having more confidence in my ability to scratch-build than I had:winker:. This project was a tremendous learning experience, and more importantly, a whole lot of fun:thumb:

Pooh Bah
Uh, aren't you supposed to do an outhouse for your first scratchbuilding project?
You seem to have picked up the idea all right.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Very nice painting on that. very cool

is there any chance of getting copies of said drwings.

That is an absolutely beautiful job! super weathering job, If my elevator was out of service i'd hire you to weather it. Good Job

Steve,

a very excellent work and this as first model.
Kurt's technique is going to publicity - Congratulation for such unique models !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bernhard

stump7

Outstanding job Steve. I especially like the piping. Great detail in the pipe opening in shot number 3.
Stump7

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Holy Smokes! It's HUGE!!! That is awesome! Wow! I can't wait to see what the rest of your new layout is going to look like once you get started.

jesso

Wow, Nazgul! That looks incredible! Great job on the weathering and the walls look very good. And I agree, you are supposed to make a crummy looking outhouse for your first project!:mrgreen: It looks like you are already to graduate from scratch-builder to miniature earth-creator!

steamhead

WoW Steve...!!! That's one great looking structure!!! :eek:
Good to see you're getting back into the swing of things. :thumb:

BTW...what type of layout did you come up with for your second masterpiece..??
Keep us posted on progres...Always good to see your fantastic work...:mrgreen:

CAS

Real nice job on the whole project. The color, the weathering, and the details are just great. Real nice job for your first job.

I would like to thank Kurt for having more confidence in my ability to scratch-build than I had
mysmilie_49.gif
. This project was a tremendous learning experience, and more importantly, a whole lot of fun
:thumb:
After following your post of your railroad, the wonderful job you did there. The scratch building should just come natural for you.

CAS

cnw1961

No crummy looking outhouse for Steve :mrgreen: – we all know what he is capable of. You did a fantastic job, my friend!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nazgul

Thank you all for the very kind remarks:thumb:.
80% of this project was taking my time and cutting all the pieces as exactly as possible, Once that was done, it really was easy to do. The weather would not cooperate and allow me to airbrush it outside, so I painted it all with brushes (later I gave the windows and doors a second coat with an airbrush). I had many prototype and model pics to help me along. I have also read, literally, 100's of articles online and in print over the past 2 years, and it is amazing how much I have learned from that without really thinking about it.
The best piece of advice I got, however, was from Kurt. As I was getting ready to begin building, I became nervous and started to over-annalyze everything...........Kurt then said to me (I will paraphrase) "Steve, SHUT UP AND START CUTTING!!!" Best advice I ever got..........LOL!

Here are a few more pics:

Trying to figure out how I was going to make and place the grain tube.............Also you will notice a pair of "Elastic Omni-directional Pressure Clamps" TM holding the structure together as the glue dries...........I will be selling them for $10.00 a pair:gaptooth:
photos138.jpg

Seeing how the small over-hang was going to look
photos154.jpg

Close-up of roof panels
photos324.jpg

Taken outside in natural light after painting.......the sun came out for about 5 minutes that day!
photos226.jpg

To answer Gus' question about the new layout I will be starting.............It will be a 21' X 2' shelf layout (with a chance for future
expansion).........more on that after I get something done on it.

Thanks everybody and take care:wave:

doctorwayne

Excellent work, Steve: that's one good-lookin' outhouse. ;)
And Kurt's admonishment to "Just do it!" is good advice that applies to any project: after you've analysed it to death, you start to doubt your abilities, leading to more procrastination and, eventually, shelving of the entire project.

Wayne

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Taken outside in natural light after painting.......the sun came out for about 5 minutes that day!
photos226.jpg

Absolutely Fantastic!!! I love it.

I'll take a couple orders for the Omni Directional WhatchaMaCallits! 10 bucks sounds like a fantastic bargin! :mrgreen:

steamhead

I'll also take several pairs of Omni-directional pressure clamps. Looks like they'll make any job a breeze....

BTW...the corner pieces on your walls...are they commercial angles, or built-up..??

Nazgul

Thank you Wayne:thumb::thumb:

You know...when I first read David's comment about first projects usually being outhouses.......I had to laugh:thumb: because that is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thing!

Thank you tetters:thumb::thumb:....I may send you some rubber.....err, I mean E.O.D.P.C's at a discount!:mrgreen:

Gus the corners are 3/32 X 3/32 square stock....this diagram will explain how it works....I hope:winker:

corners.jpg

doctorwayne

Steve, your corner method is the same as I use on styrene structures meant to represent wood - the "cardboard" for mine is .100" strip styrene, the clapboard siding is sheet styrene siding of an appropriate type, and the corner posts are suitably-sized square styrene strip. Like yours, the result is a strong, easy-to-make, and good looking corner.
2007-01-10_5481.jpg

Wayne