Getting rid of my Brother printer for a Canon

Jadriancz

Finally got tired of my Brother MFC-J4620DW and am replacing it with a Canon TR8520.
I put fresh cartridges in the Brother less than 2 months ago and unfortunately have not been able to print anything. When I finally went to use it all the ink was gone due to the cyclical head cleaning it does 3 or 4 times a day. Will have to see how the Canon does with ink before byuying a CISS for it.

Ponytail2

Why not an Epson with the seperate ink-tanks?
I still have a Brother, MFC-J4420DW, working OK with non-brand cartridges.
Dissapointing are the colors a bit. With Brother or non-brand ink they com out not so bright, a bit pale.
So the next will be one of the above mentioned...

paper hollywood

The Canons have their head issues as well. I suppose they all have their issues, though. I had a Canon that worked beautifully until it started having head issues and the heads on those are not at all easy to clean. I finally tossed it. Try to do a print or two every day rather than a bunch of pages once a week. Don't give it chance to dry out.

Jadriancz

The Canons have their head issues as well. I suppose they all have their issues, though. I had a Canon that worked beautifully until it started having head issues and the heads on those are not at all easy to clean. I finally tossed it. Try to do a print or two every day rather than a bunch of pages once a week. Don't give it chance to dry out.

Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. There are times where I unable to print anything a couple weeks at a time. The brother did a cleaning at least once a day but it also used a lot of ink during the cleaning process. Would hate to have seen how fast it would have emptied a CIS.
Another issue with the brother printer, it would not print anything above 50 lb paper..
I typically work with 65lb but do have occasional need for 110lb.
I did contemplate getting a Brother MFC-J995DW as a replacement but with the issues I have had with my last 2 brother printers and it's cost, I ruled it out.
I couldn't find any Epson printers that specifically stated they supported up to 110lb card-stock that are decently priced.
I am using it in a hobby environment and cant justify the cost of a business device that may support needed requirements. (I know... you get what you pay for..).

SCEtoAux

110 lb is 199 gsm.
I have an Epson WF-7610 that handles 110 lb/199 gsm just fine from either the rear feed or the cassette. I have even sent some 140 lb/252 gsm through the rear feed with no problems.
If the printer can print photos or greeting cards or business cards it most likely can handle the 110 lb/199 gsm stock.:)

Jadriancz

110 lb is 199 gsm.
I have an Epson WF-7610 that handles 110 lb/199 gsm just fine from either the rear feed or the cassette. I have even sent some 140 lb/252 gsm through the rear feed with no problems.
If the printer can print photos or greeting cards or business cards it most likely can handle the 110 lb/199 gsm stock.:)

Yeah but if you look at the user manual it states 17 - 24 lb paper.
Also since the feeder wheels and gears are built to support that thickness anything else could cause damage.
If you use anything not within that spec it voids the warranty.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I would hold off on buying a printer until you talk to zathros or consider buying a industrial printer that can go with larger paper and ink storage. You might want to spend now rather than pay later.

SCEtoAux

If you install non OEM ink cartridges you void the warranty. If you install a CISS you void the warranty. If you clean or replace the sponge you void the warranty. If you empty the waste collection tank you void the warranty. I have had a Canon and an Epson printer for years. The Canon has a CISS, the Epson has non OEM refillable cartridges.

I have sent stock of various thicknesses through both of them for years. I have yet to encounter any problems with the thickness of the paper or card stock I have sent through each of them thousands of times over the years.

Canon MG 5220 printer paper weight specs:
Paper Weight
"17 to 28 lb / 64 to 105 g/m2 (except for Canon genuine paper)
Do not use heavier or lighter paper (except for Canon genuine paper), as it could jam in the machine."

67 to 110 lb /176 to 199 gsm used regularly for all of these years. No jams or problems due to paper weight/thickness.

Epson WF 7610 printer paper weight specs:
Paper Weight
"17 lb (64 g/m2) to 24 lb (90 g/m2)"

67 to 110 lb /176 to 199 gsm used regularly for all of these years. No jams or problems due to paper weight/thickness.

Both user manuals state you can print photos, greeting cards, and business cards all of which use paper stock that is in most cases at least the same thickness as 67 lb/ 176 gsm stock.

The Canon printer has been in use for over 10 years. The Epson printer has been in use for 4 years. Both were purchased as new machines.

This has been my experience with printers that do not specify that 110 lb / 199 gsm card stock can be used.
:)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Everybody is gonna say " this printer is better than that one " blah blah... and with there experience with the printer they LIKE... it might be "FOR THEM"
I can tell you I love my Pixma large format printer that will do up to 11x17... 5 pack of 4 refills CYB Black and Photo Black I can get for 20$ and cost around 120$ new. I run 199gsm card through it constantly!

Go with what you want the printer to do, then look at what printer will do it at a cost you can afford!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Go to www.inkproducts.com and buy the Epson printer they recommend. I find Epson the most repairable, hackable printers out there, and they are robust. They have the OEM ink directly from Dupont's Distributor (that makes ALL Printer ink, patent baby!) . That way, you can get a good printer, reviewed by people who supply a shitload of printers for New York City, and you can call these people on the phone, and they will pick up the phone and talk to you, tell you what to place in your order, then you order online. I have doing business with them for over 10 years. ;)

Jadriancz

Well I did finally settle on the Epson WF-7710 printer.

So far no complaints, it as handled the #65 paper without issues thru the normal tray. I have not yet attempted the #110 paper but will update when I finally do.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I just bought myself a Canon, haven't used it yet. Going to test on a few certificates from my bike races and then a 1:96 HMS Victory....

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I just bought myself a Canon, haven't used it yet. Going to test on a few certificates from my bike races and then a 1:96 HMS Victory....

You race bicycles!! I am so envious!! My brother in law designed the Cannondale 6-13, and the Scalpel, this was when Cannondale was a small independent company, when he left, after 10 years, the company collapsed, and was sold. bicycle. They tried to make a motorcycle, not a bad idea, but they tried to produce their own engine, HaHaHaha!!! I was gifted many components from these bicycles, from Cannondale, after they saw the short wheelbase recumbent I designed. I have six sets of disc brakes, and way too many other parts to list. Enough to build a half dozen really nice bikes, or person HPV. I have 6 of the single sided hubs that you see on the single forked scalpel. I can't say what he does now, his specialty is composite materials, and is one of the top persons in this country on composites. ;)

6-13.jpg cannondale-scalpel.jpg

Jadriancz

You race bicycles!! I am so envious!! My brother in law designed the Cannondale 6-13, and the Scalpel, this was when Cannondale was a small independent company, when he left, after 10 years, the company collapsed, and was sold. bicycle. They tried to make a motorcycle, not a bad idea, but they tried to produce their own engine, HaHaHaha!!! I was gifted many components from these bicycles, from Cannondale, after they saw the short wheelbase recumbent I designed. I have six sets of disc brakes, and way too many other parts to list. Enough to build a half dozen really nice bikes, or person HPV. I have 6 of the single sided hubs that you see on the single forked scalpel. I can't say what he does now, his specialty is composite materials, and is one of the top persons in this country on composites. ;)

View attachment 171965 View attachment 171966
Oh... to be 30 yrs younger with knees that worked properly:violin: