German Fire Engine HLF 16/12 Feuerwehr Bremen

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got something done today:

DSCF7505.jpg

The background image was attached to the frame.

DSCF7507.jpg

Then the first building parts were added. I made sure that the parts were glued to the base and the bottom securely by putting the frame on the floor and moving it into a corner. So a stable 90° angle was formed. I only needed to push the building parts into the frame and press it against them from the inside till the glue had cured.

DSCF7508.jpg

The roof tiles were laminated to grey card to add stability and some colour to the back side which is facing down. I doubt that someone would ever bow that low to look beneath the roof plates to see the back side but you never know. ;)

DSCF7509.jpg

Level 2 was added and another roof plate.

DSCF7510.jpg

This was set aside for the night. Tomorrow the final roof plate will be attached along with some detail parts. CU! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
The man who designs, and builds a bigger model, to display the smaller model that he modified, to give both to an old fireman.... You sir, I salute.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a quick sitrep: All projects are on hold for the time being because of --- THE HEAT. We are melting here. I'm having my big holidays now and I'm glad I did not travel into the south (could have gone straight to the south pole but the internet connection is said to be somewhat worse there, so I decided to stay at home to be able to chat with you here ;) ). Boy, this week was 35+°C constantly. Yesterday we had a thunderstrom which brought some fresh air but it didn't take long till the effect was obliterated today. I'm living straight under the roof which makes matters worse. I'm confining myself to sorting old stuff out and reading but paper work is out of the question. The parts would be ruined by sweaty stains. I hope that next week will be better. Take care and keep cool, guys and gals! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Okay, so about 95 degrees F. it's been in the low to mid 90's (32.7 or so C) I have even been out in the pool with the grand kids some to cool off. The house I lease was built in the 1920's but has had central HVAC added, so we try to stay comfortable inside. I know that way back most houses in Europe didn't have AC... is that still true?
Anyway, the model is looking great. Stay cool and be safe.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you, pal! :)
I know that way back most houses in Europe didn't have AC... is that still true?
I think so. Our house was built in 1993 and it doesn't have one. I have no idea if modern houses come with AC as a standard feature. I'm sure it depends on the money.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alright folks, time to finish this one up! :)

There was a reason why I stopped working on the model: The tenant who was supposed to get it passed away peacefully. No-one had seen this coming and with him gone there was no real reason to continue. The model has been sitting in my living room ever since, waiting for being assigned to another purpose. That time has come. In mid-summer I had the idea to finish it up and to give it to someone else who might cherish it in a similar way our tenant would have done. The tricky aspect was that the diorama was extremely personalized, so the number of people who might enjoy it was very limited. In fact, the group of people boiled down to the ones being part of the brigade our tenant used to serve with. So the new recipients will be the members of the fire brigade of Ottenstein. And with Christmas coming you understand why I chose this time of the year to finish the model. :)

Let's get started (again)!

There are a few parts which I already designed and printed.

DSCF1884.jpg

Along with the emblems at the front of the house I printed the sides of the ladders again. The original ones were very thin and need to be thicker, so I laminated them on card and attached them.

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1899.jpg

DSCF1900.jpg

A custom build on another forum gave me the idea to add a mount to one half of the roof where two of the ladders could be stored:

DSCF1885.jpg

DSCF1886.jpg

DSCF1887.jpg

DSCF1888.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

DSCF1902.jpg

DSCF1903.jpg

Bottom view:

DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1905.jpg

And with a ladder inserted:

DSCF1906.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The next area which needed some change was the hose drum. The recessed area felt a bit lacking. So I cut it out again and added a half-cylinder shaped drum, similar to the bottles of the MEGO Land Rover were constructed:

DSCF1889.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

This is how it looked before:

DSCF1894.jpg

The surgery:

DSCF1895.jpg

The new drum installed:

DSCF1896.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

That looks much better! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Beautiful work on the Drum @Revell-Fan as of course the hole truck. The original really looked too "FLAT" ?!? :bulgeeye:
One could take this a step further and do the same to the other areas :cool:
:biggrin:
Indeed! Volker has designed a very nice model. Enhancing it is not too difficult. In retrospect I should have fleshed out the other open compartments like the drum storage but the card inside is so strong that I would have to rip it apart to do so. Nevertheless, it really looks very nice the way it is now and I am so glad I added the drum. :)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Nice details, maybe you can use a jigsaw to open the compartments.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Small test to position the model on the base. A visitor dropped by and asked to use the lavatory since there is no turboflush inside an AT-ST (aside from the standard inbuilt open pit latrine).

1671485646490a.jpg

Fire brigade Ottenstein came to the rescue. AT-ST driver relieved. Carry on, carry on..! :yesyes: