Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
More internal reinforcements:

DSCF7267.jpg

DSCF7268.jpg

The boxes were closed. A quick setup:

DSCF7271.jpg

The roof parts are printed. However, I encountered a problem. Sometimes the colours are printed in a different shade. I have no idea why but I suppose it is the paper.

DSCF7272.jpg

Here you can see it more clearly: The same texture printed differently. Printing software, ink, printer, print setting - everything was the same but the outcome wasn't. Very strange.

DSCF7273.jpg

I managed to print two more pages with the same shade and used these to fix the issue and to give the roof a consistent look. Here are a few detail bits, a chimney, a small protrusion and some greeblies. Yep, I don't build anything without greeblies. ;)

DSCF7276.jpg

DSCF7277.jpg

DSCF7278.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A quick placement test:

DSCF7284.jpg

Not to shabby. ;)

Four of these large sheets of card are required to make two boxes of 66 x 43 cm which will serve as a ground plate and a back plate:

DSCF7287.jpg

DSCF7285.jpg

They need some formers made of leftover card from the stash:

DSCF7283.jpg

DSCF7288.jpg

These will be interlocked later. Now I'm concentrating on making some pins and notches to firmly combine the back and ground plate. Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The whole scene has to be built from the back to the front. The first thing I need is the presentation base. Beause of its size it is made of two big plates. They are interconnected by pins and notches. Both are constructed the same way:

DSCF7289.jpg

DSCF7290.jpg

DSCF7291.jpg

These are the pins. Then come the notches:

DSCF7296.jpg

DSCF7297.jpg

Since the pins are supposed to be pushed into the notches the notches are slighty bigger. 1mm higher and 1mm wider sufficed.

Now the plates are marked with cutting points:

DSCF7293.jpg

The marked areas are cut out:

DSCF7294.jpg

DSCF7295.jpg

The notches will be pushed through the holes and glued tight.

DSCF7298.jpg

DSCF7299.jpg

DSCF7300.jpg

To make sure that the positions of the pins and notches matched I used the notch holes as templates for the pin holes.

DSCF7301.jpg

DSCF7303.jpg

The holes were traced onto the corresponding plate

DSCF7305.jpg

DSCF7306.jpg

DSCF7307.jpg

and cut out. Notches and pins are pushed through the holes and attached:

DSCF7309.jpg

DSCF7311.jpg

Here you can see the idea. This construction should be strong enough to avoid any sagging later, especially when the house is glued into place which will add even more stability.

Then the two parts of each plate are glued together to form one BIG 90 x 74 cm piece of card.

DSCF7313.jpg

This is the biggest piece of card I have ever worked with.

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I like this method of connecting the panels together! I think that this would work for the large BSG hangar diorama as well.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The notches need some structural support from the inside in order to prevent sagging. For this reason I created four simple but extremely sturdy pieces made of leftover card.

DSCF7318.jpg

The big piece is folded into a box.

DSCF7320.jpg

The small square piece is glued to the middle of the box.

DSCF7322.jpg

Then everything is wrapped around:

DSCF7323.jpg

DSCF7324.jpg

DSCF7325.jpg

The boxes are glued to the plate and the notch.

DSCF7328.jpg

DSCF7330.jpg

Next I have added the internal skeleton.

DSCF7331.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The first box was closed.

DSCF7342.jpg

The next box was treated the same way:

DSCF7332.jpg

I used leftover card for the skeleton. I roughly estimated the best position of the rips and marked the incision points with a felt tip.

DSCF7333.jpg

DSCF7339.jpg

The box was closed.

DSCF7340.jpg

DSCF7341.jpg

Now came the exciting part: Both pieces were joined:

DSCF7343.jpg

That proved to be a bit tricky because the fit was very tight. My first attempt failed because the middle pins would not slide into the notches. So I cut the back side open again so that I could reach inside the piece with the notches to apply pressure from behind. That worked quite well and both parts were assembled into this frame:

DSCF7346.jpg

This was left to dry over night. Everything was still a bit shaky but that was supposed to change the next day: The first element of the house was added. The open side proved extremely helpful here, too, because it allowed me to apply pressure to the back side.

DSCF7352.jpg

The ruler in the pic is 30 cm long, BTW.

DSCF7353.jpg

The roofs were laminated to grey card to add stability to the overhanging sides.

Now I need to print and attach a suitable background. Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you! :)

Yesterday the weather was splendid. I went for a walk and took some pictures for the background of the diorama. The one that comes with the original fire station picture is good but I thought it would be better to create something new to be able to control the perspective better. So I took these

DSCF7370.jpg

DSCF7369.jpg

DSCF7407.jpg

and combined them into this:

0.jpg

cropped and colour tweaked:

0a.jpg

This was divided into three parts and printed.

In picture three you can see the walls of MY local fire station, BTW, so the motif fits perfectly here. ;)

On my walk I encountered a very curious cat. She was lying directly on the sidewalk and I almost ran over her because I was constantly looking up to the sky, checking for good cloud formations.

DSCF7435.jpg

After she got her daily amount of petting units she headed across the street for the next garden and took a break in the shadows of a small tree.

DSCF7443.jpg

If she only knew what I saw half an hour later...

DSCF7423.jpg

Floating dinner! :Grin:

Last edited: