Gauge Party Winter 07 - The Party List!!!!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Well well.... We'd like to welcome one and all to the 2007 Winter Gauge Party.

This party has been timed to allow all the "Summer Folk" that have been away from their layouts - to GET back IN there - and have some fun building something!!! Anything for your layout, that will improve their skills or refresh their memory on learned techniques... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Please don't start your modeling (Except for design) until Oct 1st. and remember - you have until January 15, 2008 to complete it. (Finishing early is o.k. too!!.. just try not to finish late) :( :(

The rules have been set Here

The participants thus far:

N Gauger --------- Rail Spiker in 1:20.3 (F)

Ezdays------------ N scale log cabin using sprue

EngineerKyle ----- Unknown as yet

nkp174 ----------- Cereal Board Rolling Stock

Ralph ------------- Oil Facility Loading Matrix

MilesWestern ---- Multiple projects, including a Spanish (*Mission-Revival) Style station.

jbaakko -- RR related scrap tie handler truck.

Lighthorseman -- Coffee Stirrer Engine House

If you haven't joined in yet - YES there IS room for you!!! - Join in anytime before October 1st (Click above link)

~~~ Have Fun!!!!!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
OK, I'm on the list now, an N scale log cabin built mostly out of sprue. If it works out, I'll have to build it just like they did back in the old days, one log at a time.

jbaakko

I made my thread, wasn't sure at the time, but I think I'm going to do a semi trailer & converter dolly, hauling scrap from the maintenance depot. I dug through my scrap drawers and found a Wather's pulpwood truck pup I scrapped due to it being bent, and tons of wheels, and parts I need. I'll finish up the planning this wekk, to start the build next week.

N Gauger

THE GAME is Afoot!!!!!!!!

Start anytime you want,
Add progress pictures to your threads....

H A V E --- F U N! ! ! !

N Gauger

if anyone else wants to join in - you can, ANYTIME as long as you can finish your project before Jan 15 2008!!!!!!

Lighthorseman

While I am notorious for throwing my name in and getting nowhere... (Remember Micro Challenges 1 and 2?) ...I'd like to put my name in for this one as well. My plan is a small Shay-sized enginehouse scratchbuilt from coffee stir-sticks, with the only commercial bits being 4 Grandt Line enginehouse windows.

Will start a thread soon.

N Gauger

While I am notorious for throwing my name in and getting nowhere... (Remember Micro Challenges 1 and 2?) ...I'd like to put my name in for this one as well. My plan is a small Shay-sized enginehouse scratchbuilt from coffee stir-sticks, with the only commercial bits being 4 Grandt Line enginehouse windows.

Will start a thread soon.

Yeah - COOL!!! That should be a neat thing to see... I added you in...

Thanks for joining The Gauge Party for 2007 - 08!!!!

Here is my plan. I've got an HO residential kit and a box of broken parts from other structures laying around. I'll be converting it all into a wood framed church or meeting house, I think. Let me get though Thanksgiving and I'll post a sketch and a couple pics.

Thanks for heading this up guys! Good motivation!!!

nkp174

I was thinking about using the green construction paper stiffeners that come in Evergreen's styrene packs (only in the small...0.020ish x 0.060ish sizes). I've decided that it will still be cereal board...but I must use the evergreen material somewhere. It's going to be a 24' 1874 powder car from the Colorado Central. I just can't decide whether to use one of my three sets of decals on this car...or to hand letter it for bonus points (bonus points from me if it's good!). I'll eventual build two superdetailed styrene versions...one for me and one for my dad. The CCRR only had 1 car. It's as interesting of car (imo) as Bernard's B&O car.

I did a quantity take off on the drawing...so I just need to get started on cutting parts. It'll probably receive a special set of scratch built trucks (an excuse to build a master of my CC truck drawings).

nkp174

Hold on a sec!:eek: I never said I was joining in this. All I said was I had some spare windows I got from a Walthers gold ribbon kit. There still is a possibility I could throw something together, but I don't have a ton of spare parts and I have a stinking science fair I have to do for my Honors biology class:cry:, not to mention all of the OTHER homeowrk I'm going to probably get:curse:. Plus I don't have a clue on what to make anyways.

Dude...I've got two massive term papers over nitrogen/phosphorus catalysts for natural environments and heavy metal removal using membrane bioreactors...as well as my PhD research proposal...all coming up before this event ends. You've got plenty of time to do something cool! It's just a matter of learning to balance your time...something I struggled mightily with at the start of college as I played Madden for around 90hrs each week (the 30yr franchise mode was way too short...especially after winning the superbowl for 25yrs in a row). :mrgreen:

Scratch building really doesn't take very much time...it's just a matter of doing it.

EDIT: I didn't think this was a double post...CNWman's post disappeared which was after my previous post...

N Gauger

Dude...I've got two massive term papers over nitrogen/phosphorus catalysts for natural environments and heavy metal removal using membrane bioreactors...as well as my PhD research proposal...all coming up before this event ends. You've got plenty of time to do something cool! It's just a matter of learning to balance your time...something I struggled mightily with at the start of college as I played Madden for around 90hrs each week (the 30yr franchise mode was way too short...especially after winning the superbowl for 25yrs in a row). :mrgreen:

Scratch building really doesn't take very much time...it's just a matter of doing it.

EDIT: I didn't think this was a double post...CNWman's post disappeared which was after my previous post...
Yeah - I think he bailed out :( :( We'll miss him.... I removed him from the list too... If he wants to return here - he's always welcome!! :D :D

CNWman

CNW Fan

Sorry, my sister dedided to mess around, and so made the above post under my name. I think I do have enough time for a project like this, it's just that I have science fair, along with academic quiz team, chess, my project of drawing up SP 4449 in CAD, and normal homework to cope with, I'm a little stressed out. I might try a cardboard building, though.

EDIT- My sister is convincing, isn't she Mikey?

nkp174

I just cut out an epoxied a side and an inner support. The inner support is 6'4" wide...and 22'8"...it will receive two additional layers for the sides...one which will be the 2' wide tin panels. The ends will have just two layers..they were sheathed in 7'x7' sheets of tin. I'm trying to only use toaster strudel, contact solution, and cereal package for all of the parts that would have been wood/tin. I'll probably harvest HO brakewheels for the cars dual brakewheels. I've also discovered that the sides need to be tapered at the bottom to match the underlying 23' flatcar's side sills...per the prototype. Wish I had a photo of it to post...definitely one of the 5 most interesting cars to ever run in Colorado.

Academic team? I loved that in HS. I got a $2000 scholarship out of it. I got out of track practice every week to attend academic practice...but still got my varsity award each year in track!

I would recommend oxidation/reduction chemistry. Take a 20oz of Pepsi/Coke...open it and drop in an iron nail...close the bottle. Voila! It will be viciously attacked by the carbonation in the soft drink...actually carbonic acid with a pH of 3.

Or...demonstrate the role of vapor pressure in maintaining carbonation. Carbonated beverages don't go flat from being opened...they go flat from the headspace in the bottle (drinking some...and then leaving a 79%N 21%O atmosphere in a large space rather than the tiny CO2 headspace it had before). A two liter with 12oz in will go flat far faster than a two liter which was merely opened and closed.

N Gauger

Sorry, my sister dedided to mess around, and so made the above post under my name. I think I do have enough time for a project like this, it's just that I have science fair, along with academic quiz team, chess, my project of drawing up SP 4449 in CAD, and normal homework to cope with, I'm a little stressed out. I might try a cardboard building, though.

EDIT- My sister is convincing, isn't she Mikey?

sign1sign1sign1sign1 We'll leave you off the list for now (No Stress that way)

If you start something - Start a thread and Post Pics and we'll add you back in :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
sign1sign1sign1sign1 We'll leave you off the list for now (No Stress that way)

If you start something - Start a thread and Post Pics and we'll add you back in :)
Well, I'm stressed out too. I'm stressed because I haven't started anything, not even a sketch. I guess 'cause I'm thinking I might change want I want to build, plus I'm still kinda easing into things after my bicycle incident...:cry:

We got until when???????????

Oh, :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lighthorseman

I would recommend oxidation/reduction chemistry. Take a 20oz of Pepsi/Coke...open it and drop in an iron nail...close the bottle. Voila! It will be viciously attacked by the carbonation in the soft drink...actually carbonic acid with a pH of 3.

Or...demonstrate the role of vapor pressure in maintaining carbonation. Carbonated beverages don't go flat from being opened...they go flat from the headspace in the bottle (drinking some...and then leaving a 79%N 21%O atmosphere in a large space rather than the tiny CO2 headspace it had before). A two liter with 12oz in will go flat far faster than a two liter which was merely opened and closed.

In grade 11, I did a presentation called "Your Own Homebuilt Nuclear Device"...and got a trip to the counsellor's office.

nkp174

In grade 11, I did a presentation called "Your Own Homebuilt Nuclear Device"...and got a trip to the counsellor's office.

I wonder why sign1

The thing is...it isn't the knowledge...its the machine tools...and I live 5 miles from the factory which produce the tools used to build every nuclear weapon of the cold war...for both sides.

N Gauger

Reminds me of Bloom County.....

The kid builds a reactor for a science project - then when he tells his father to "stand back" -- The dad says: How far?

Ohio!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek: