G goose #2

Bill Nelson

Plugs

Since I figured out I'd be running this critter off of 6 or 9 volts, I raided my electrical parts stash doe some of the plugs I have used when making tender connections for dc Ho locomotives. If it has worked for 12 volts, 6 or 9 should be fine.

I have replaced two of the three that need replacing on this R/C car throttle control from my dad's stuff. It is at least 25 years old, but hopefully it will work OK. the plug that goes to the receiver is a male plug, and I need a female plug, so I'm going to cut one off of a servo. the receiver that I have that is set up for male plugs is on the frequency of the radio that Has all the corrosion in the battery drawer. It might be salvageable, so I will save the removed plug.

I used identical plugs for the power truck and battery connections. this is an engineering no-no, so to ameliorate this design problem, I made the battery hook up lead so short there is no way to get it to reach to the power truck. The next step is to locate the switches for the transmitter, and the battery power, drill the holes for the mounting screws, and cut out room for the slide switches to move.

after I have done that, and replaced the plug for the throttle control to hook into the receiver, I will need to put another coat of paint on the frame, possibly with a hint of rust ; and get some Velcro, so I can start to pile up the components in the feight body in a fashion that will fit. this is fun. time for a knap, as I will go to train club at 6:00 pm, and will have to be a work at midnight.

bill

Attachments

• SMLA-1 gs 2 plgs1.jpg
    SMLA-1 gs 2 plgs1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 34

Doctor G

Wow you are close. I see a 4 battery pack in the background of your picture. If you can wire in a second pack you are at 9.6 volts which works great powering these beasts.

If you get it running and want to take it for a spin in the mountains of the LRRR Sunday would be a good day. I will be at a Haiti Hospital meeting this Sat. all day in Nashville and at local Haiti meeting this PM.

Did another "home repair" on the big Shay way early this AM. It dropped a tiny screw in one of the valve rods somewhere in the vast wilds of the layout causing it to drop away from an eccentric on the crank. A tiny styrene rod filled the bill with a tiny drop of ACC and it is now functioning fine. This whole crank assembly is for show only, exactly like the HO MDC Shay. The power comes from three separate motors in each of the three trucks.

Any hows way there are no replacement parts to be had for the crank assembly and the entire crank assembly can be had for $100 (heck a whole large scale Shay can be purchased for $350 now) from B.mann. So homemade repairs are the order of the day and are very satisfying.

Look forward to more of your posts.

tom

Bill Nelson

The battery pack in the rear of the photo is what was provided to power the transmitter from the ancient radio equipment I found from my dad's collection. I wasted some time this mornig after getting off of work, and running some necessary errands. I wired the ancient motor control into a harness with modern plugs for the gosse. after folling around with the result ; I had forward contriol of sorts, but no revers, and apparently the reverse trim adjustments were broken. This I guess is why I never saw that battery car behind either of the two locomotives it was wired to connect with.

So I need to cut off all of the plugs I soldered on to that power control, and wire in one of the modern ones I have. unfortunately they don't have a remote switch to turn them on or off, but a button, and would require the freight shell to come off before and after operating, which might need to happen anyway for battery charging.

speaking of battery charging I left the transmitter on, and now have to charge it's 8 AA batteries before I play more

Doctor G

More progress. You are getting close to getting the Goose to rolling under its own power.

Tom

Doctor G

Goose Fest in Colorado

Hey Bill,

Thought you might enjoy these pictures from "Goose Fest" going on right now at the Colorado RR museum.

The pictures were done by a guy on one of the Large Scale websites.

Goose #2 is there in these shots in all its glory. Enjoy.

Tom

GooseFest0006.jpg

GooseFest0012.jpg

Some Geese in the barnyard.
GooseFest0045.jpg

GooseFest0048.jpg

GooseFest0050.jpg

They brought 4 and 5 into the barnyard.
GooseFest0074.jpg

Turning 4 on the "Armstrong" turntable
GooseFest0062.jpg

And the Gaggle

GooseFest0086.jpg

GooseFest0113.jpg

GooseFest0118.jpg

GooseFest0120.jpg

GooseFest0128.jpg

GooseFest0131.jpg

At 5:00 the beer garden opened for the VIP guests (read that "All you wanted") and dinner wes served at 5:30 Great BBQ. Come on, BBQ and Brew, trains and Geese on a beautiful Friday evening in the Rockies..it doesn't get much better then this.

Night shoot started at dusk.. it's 12:30 at night, and I haven't had time to do any special corrections on these, they are what they are for now.

GooseFest0230.jpg

GooseFest0252.jpg

GooseFest0285.jpg

Bill Nelson

This is cool, I bet this many geese were never together , even back in the RGS days, as the passenger geese rotated through the whole system each week, with one day off for maintenance. So they were all spread out . The RGS #1 is interesting, I thought it didn't survive, perhaps it is a reproduction, Tom did you know Bachman makes a model of it in On30 and large scale? It is amazing that almost all of them survived, at the end of the RGS's lifespan they were in pretty rough shape, it looks like they are in much better shape now.

Bill

Doctor G

This is cool, I bet this many geese were never together , even back in the RGS days, as the passenger geese rotated through the whole system each week, with one day off for maintenance. So they were all spread out . The RGS #1 is interesting, I thought it didn't survive, perhaps it is a reproduction, Tom did you know Bachman makes a model of it in On30 and large scale? It is amazing that almost all of them survived, at the end of the RGS's lifespan they were in pretty rough shape, it looks like they are in much better shape now.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Glad you like the pictures. Yes, I believe RGS #1 is a reproduction. There was talk about its build on one of the Large Scale websites.

Yes, you are also right that having these all assembled in one place is very rare and the poster of the photos said that it would be unlikely to ever happen again.

Yes I did see RGS #1 in the Bachmann On30 and Large Scale lineups.

If more info surfaces on the "Goose Fest" I will try to post it here.

TOM

Doctor G

Cab rides in the Geese

Hi Bill,

Thought you might enjoy these latest pics from a fellow at the the Goose Fests.......Cab rides.

Last shot is a pic of the interior of Goose #2. Man those things were cramped in the cab!!

Tom

Day 2.. BIG Highlight..Eat your hearts out... CAB RIDES in all 6 of the Geese.

GooseFest0383.jpg

GooseFest0401.jpg

GooseFest0411.jpg

GooseFest0441.jpg

GooseFest0445.jpg

GooseFest0450.jpg

GooseFest0464.jpg

I really like this one, one that I will have to do some post processing on. Maybe it something about the water tank?

GooseFest0444.jpg

And my thrill of the day.. Cab ride in Goose 2, onto the turntable and parking is line.

GooseFest0568.jpg

Doctor G

More Goosing

Hope this is helping the thread. Here are a few more pictures from Goose Fest.

Tom

Geese by the dawns early light.
GooseFest0591.jpg

A Matched pair of the birds at dawn.

GooseFest0598.jpg

Goose beaks in the morning light.

GooseFest0644.jpg

Beak on with #4, this weeks star, they got her running this week, first time sense 1951, sixty years!

GooseFest0724.jpg

And #4 on her parade lap.

GooseFest0771.jpg

Goose #1 looking like she was back home on the RGS. She really is a small piece.

GooseFest0814.jpg

I think that a grainy B&W version of this pic could/would look quite old.

And todays show stopper..... The Gaggle

GooseFest0803.jpg

a Once in a lifetime event.. WOW what a weekend!