Firefly - Serenity

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
A baby that has bugs is neglected. Must be something lost in the translation. I'd play with that ship too, lots of places to land it!! ;)

Baby Bugs Bunny:

Baby Bugs.jpg

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
More pics - nearing final assembly!

As you can see there is a bit of a gap on the side between the fuselage and the cabin and the cargo bay during test fitting.
upload_2018-6-14_13-3-32.jpeg

A strip from a reprint of the cradle is being used to fill in the gap (see below).
upload_2018-6-14_13-4-47.jpeg

Fuselage, cabin and cargo bays assembled together (this was REALLY tough!)
upload_2018-6-14_13-6-14.jpeg

Right side - note the area where the strip was applied - is there a gap? What gap?!?;)
upload_2018-6-14_13-7-13.jpeg

Left side - this area had a gap however the same technique that was used before on the other side was used on this one. What do you think?
upload_2018-6-14_13-8-37.jpeg

Front view - cargo bay - a silver marker was used to remove some extra dark areas. Do you see where I did the coloring?
upload_2018-6-14_13-9-51.jpeg

Front view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-11-1.jpeg

Getting some of the solar panels ready - note the edges have been colored. Also, when you fold the pieces over each other make sure they line up. Also, be sure to color the backs as well.
upload_2018-6-14_13-11-58.jpeg

That's it for now.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-14_13-11-33.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-14_13-11-33.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Mostly done - major pieces assembled. All that's left do do now is some minor details and adding the solar panels. Maybe a stand, but I'll see how much time I've got as I'll be traveling to the Bermuda Triangle soon!

Front view
upload_2018-6-14_13-15-36.jpeg

Right front view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-17-36.jpeg

Left front view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-18-8.jpeg

Left side view
upload_2018-6-14_13-15-59.jpeg

Left rear view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-16-18.jpeg

Rear View.
upload_2018-6-14_13-16-34.jpeg

Right rear view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-16-58.jpeg

Right side.
upload_2018-6-14_13-17-15.jpeg

Top view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-18-32.jpeg

Front view with shuttles - wings open.
upload_2018-6-14_13-18-44.jpeg

Front view with shuttles - wings open.
upload_2018-6-14_13-19-11.jpeg

Front view with shuttles - wings closed.
upload_2018-6-14_13-19-30.jpeg

Bottom view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-20-46.jpeg

Bottom view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-21-9.jpeg

Top view.
upload_2018-6-14_13-20-6.jpeg

That's it for now. Definitely on the "home stretch"!:)

Sky Seeker

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FANTASTIC!!! :Bravo::Bravo::Bravo:

Your fixes are almost invisible and look like they are part of the original design. I hope you are planning to get out of the Triangle again, right?;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
FANTASTIC!!! :Bravo::Bravo::Bravo:

Your fixes are almost invisible and look like they are part of the original design. I hope you are planning to get out of the Triangle again, right?;)

Unfortunately Yes. ;) I could take a few years off though that would be fine with me!:) Looking forward to the beaches and the "big blue" of the Atlantic Ocean.

Sky Seeker

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Bravo, fantastic job. Another excellent build thread to top it off!! What a beauty!! :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Thanks Z!:) Still have to put on the solar panels and the antennas for around the cockpit area. Hopefully:angelic:, it will be done by this weekend.:)

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Final pics (at least for this version of Serenity)

Solar Panels - There's no precise positioning for the solar panels - i.e. no plans in the templates. This is about as good a guess as I've got on where to put these. Recommend research on your own before you place these.

Left Side view
upload_2018-6-18_18-39-14.jpeg

Left Front view - note that the solar panel was aligned with the line right next to the Serenity logo.
upload_2018-6-18_18-39-25.jpeg

Right Front view
upload_2018-6-18_18-39-57.jpeg

Right Front view
upload_2018-6-18_18-40-16.jpeg

Right Side view - note the solar panel on the cargo bay
upload_2018-6-18_18-40-42.jpeg

Left Front view - Note the position of the solar panels and the cargo bay.
upload_2018-6-18_18-41-56.jpeg

Left Front view.
upload_2018-6-18_18-42-34.jpeg

Right Front view.
upload_2018-6-18_18-43-14.jpeg

Overall this model was a bit difficult at times to build. This is definitely NOT for a novice builder. Here are some suggestions on areas to pay attention to when building (and maybe some improvements for future builds):

Fuselage - cockpit could use an addition of an actual cockpit inside and antennas on the crown section near the cockpit.

Fuselage is pretty tough to attach to the cargo bay and to the cabin (turtle section). Be careful of the gaps between the cabin section, cargo bay, and the fuselage.

Cabin area (turtle section) could use some transparent windows to look inside the dining area and the med bay.

Engines on the side - orange engine flares could be added to the exhaust ports of the engine.

Wings - be careful of the clearance issues on the side of the cargo bay.:frak: Be sure to add tabs and maybe an internal spar for the wings. Perhaps a spar could be added that permits vertical tilting of the engines.

Engine cradle - be careful of of misalignment early on in assembly:headbange:, start on either side of the center and glue before the gluing of the top center of the cradle. Legs of the cradle form a natural twist. Just go with it.

Engine - better construction of the pipes could be done. It would be nice to have templates for the pipes. More greebling could be done on the engine to enhance details. More experimentation with flap openings along the back of the main engine for "full thrust" effect. LEDs should be added particularly for the main engine.

Shuttle - A redesign for the shuttle is DEFINITELY possible. The foldable wings were NOT stock and should be included in any build. Don't know why they weren't included in the first place.

Research for the Serenity is DEFINITELY a MUST!!! :animated:

(OK it's just a good excuse to watch the series and movie again and again!:))

Here's the title song for the series.

The lyrics for the ballad of Serenity - sung by Sonny Rhodes.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care cause I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out, to the black
Tell 'em I ain't coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
There's no place I can be
Since I found serenity
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
Take me out, to the black
Tell 'em I ain't coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
There's no place I can be
Since I found serenity

Hope you've enjoyed this thread as much as I've had in making the Serenity.

In case you're wondering - this particular model was built for a friend of mine and his bride. Both BIG Serenity fans!

One of these days I'll build my own.

Take care and keep on geeblin'.:)

Sky Seeker

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-18_18-41-18.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-18_18-41-18.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: