Firefly - Serenity

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
You deserve it. You are a FANTASTIC builder! There are not many threads on this particular ship. So you will be setting a high bar for the building of this model. Other builders can (and more than likely will) use this thread as a guide to build this model (I know that I, for one, will).

Wow!!:surprise::surprise: (This is getting to be overused I think, but it's still applicable - might need a "new" foreign equivalent from one of our overseas friends) I'm speechless actually. Thanks.
BTW I forgot to mention - the directions are actually in spanish - just an extra added challenge! :frak:

Yo leo un poco espanol, pero espanol no es mi lengua primero! Un poco divertido!:biggrin:

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Era mio, pero viviendo mientra todos estos gringos, bueno, pasa loc que pasa. Also, being born and bread in New England, a very racist area, you tried to blend in, though my taniish complexsion and perfect Connecticut accent made it impossible for people to tell where I was from. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey RF!! Great to hear from you! Greetings back at you from the "States" across the 'ole pond.;) Yes I've encountered some portions that just don't fit quite well.:robot3: :Computer:

However, as builders we might encounter a round hole and all we've got is a square peg. Never fear you can always cut something down to size or make it bigger depends on what you want to do or you just fake it.:)

I just love paper for that reason. :)

I hope that I can be of some small assistance to others in this regard.:) If anyone has any questions or suggestions I'll always try to be receptive.

Have a great day!:animated:

Sky Seeker
This post is one of the most enjoyful and rewarding posts I have read in quite some time. :bowdown:

Geez Z - no pressure eh?;)
Only enough to squeeze some parts together to permanently join them. :cool:;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Era mio, pero viviendo mientra todos estos gringos, bueno, pasa loc que pasa. Also, being born and bread in New England, a very racist area, you tried to blend in, though my taniish complexsion and perfect Connecticut accent made it impossible for people to tell where I was from. ;)

As it is said "when in Rome..."

Some people can be jerks Z. I've always judged people by their actions and how they treat others. I really don't care if someone looks and talks like me. I think that it's a better place because there are other people out there that are different from me. That's just an opinion though.

Sky Seeker

Last edited:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
More pics - Cockpit / fuselage

Front cockpit piece glued together with bulkhead. Bulkhead bottom is slightly moved towards the back to cant the cockpit portion downward. The pieces below are to be glued to the underside of the fuselage.
upload_2018-5-16_12-3-2.jpeg

Additional view of the bulkhead with the next piece to be glued in place.
upload_2018-5-16_12-5-4.jpeg

This is a top view of the cockpit with a strip overlying the top edge of the cockpit bulkhead and the next piece glued in place just behind the bulkhead. The strip overlies a huge gap between the bulkhead and the piece. In glueing the strip in place to cover the gap you must wet the apex (the top of the cockpit) underneath the strip with glue and let it set for about a minute then hold and pinch in place.
upload_2018-5-16_12-5-24.jpeg

Side view of another piece added.
upload_2018-5-16_12-9-54.jpeg

Left side view. Note the pinched top.
upload_2018-5-16_12-10-28.jpeg

Side bottom part attached in place. Note the earlier bottom pieces attached.
upload_2018-5-16_12-11-48.jpeg

Side piece in position. Note the lower right hand corner. It actually has a slight origami tri-fold. This allows the bottom to flatten and spread out at the sides.
upload_2018-5-16_12-12-55.jpeg

That's it for now.

Sky Seeker

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sky, are you using the version from planet star freak? It is named "psf_serenity.pdf". It contains a revised page with additional solar panels "Frente 1", has some white text written over the parts on "Cabina 2" and it is missing the page "Fuente 1".

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Sky, are you using the version from planet star freak? It is named "psf_serenity.pdf". It contains a revised page with additional solar panels "Frente 1", has some white text written over the parts on "Cabina 2" and it is missing the page "Fuente 1".

Yes. That is the site. There were a series of solar panels that were printed out , but no real indication as to where they were supposed to go. I have just finished watching all of Firefly and Serenity shows for inspiration as to where everything is supposed to go. I think I have a pretty good idea where things are supposed to go. The solar panels will be one of the last things to go on the ship due to how it is supposed to be constructed.

There are also some struts that are supposed to go on the engine, but there are no print outs for those. You have to construct them from scrap pieces. This weekend I also picked up some colored paper for the engines to modify it from stock.

Thanks for stopping on by.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Really nice!! Such close ups, and it still looks excellent!! :)

Thanks Z! :)

Sometimes I use these shots to see what are the areas that need to be colored in. Most of the time what shows up on the screen you can't see with the naked eye.

Sky Seeker

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are also some struts that are supposed to go on the engine, but there are no print outs for those. You have to construct them from scrap pieces.
Maybe these are on the page "Fuente 1" that is not included. I have that page. It contains parts 42 - 48.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Z! :)

Sometimes I use these shots to see what are the areas that need to be colored in. Most of the time what shows up on the screen you can't see with the naked eye.

Sky Seeker

Larger than life, and no errors!! Great craftsmanship!! ;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
More pics
Maybe these are on the page "Fuente 1" that is not included. I have that page. It contains parts 42 - 48.

I assembled those parts. However, I'll be glad to see what's on the page and double check it to see if I had it or not. Feel free to PM me.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
New pics

This section is for the top of the fuselage. The directions say to attach what has been done so far to the cargo bay. I HIGHLY recommend that you don't even think about trying this as it would be VERY difficult to assemble the top to the main fuselage. You have to position your hand or some tools roughly half the length of the fuselage. You also have to reposition the fuselage as you glue various areas.

Anyway below is a pic of the underside of the top. Note the front edge has a small square piece. What happened was that the front edge got torn somehow. This piece helped to keep everything together.
upload_2018-5-27_21-48-41.jpeg

This shows the inside view of the fuselage with the top joined to the other pieces. As one looks at the bulkhead, it's quite possible in future builds to add a doorway to the bulkhead as well as a cockpit.

Note the use of numbers to figure out which piece is what and where they go. Note also the top glue tabs and how they attach the top with the rest of the body. While this looks easy to assemble this part, I recommend that you start from the front and work towards the back when gluing - just a suggestion.
upload_2018-5-27_21-52-59.jpeg

Top view of the fuselage. Note the left hand side where the cockpit joins the fuselage.
upload_2018-5-27_21-56-56.jpeg

Left side view.
upload_2018-5-27_21-58-29.jpeg

Top view.
upload_2018-5-27_21-58-48.jpeg

Right side view.
upload_2018-5-27_21-59-3.jpeg

That's it for now.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Cabin pics

Here are the pics for the cabin (the section on top of the cargo bay).

Base portion of the cabin. Note the right hand side before gluing in place. The directions weren't very forthcoming as to how you would make this fold. The section to the right is unfolded and the one on the left shows what it should look like after folding and gluing. Note also the tabs on the left and right of the folded area. The folded areas eventually becomes the left and right docking areas for the shuttles.
upload_2018-5-27_22-5-11.jpeg

Right side. Note left and right tabs.
upload_2018-5-27_22-9-20.jpeg

Note left and right tabs folded and glued in place against the left docking bay.
upload_2018-5-27_22-9-59.jpeg

Note the right hand side. You can (sort of) make out where the tabs are positioned and glued onto the left docking bay.
upload_2018-5-27_22-11-5.jpeg

Right side docking bay.
upload_2018-5-27_22-12-56.jpeg

Top down view of the base showing the glue tabs and how the are attached to the docking bays.
upload_2018-5-27_22-13-47.jpeg

Mid level pieces - before assembly.
upload_2018-5-27_22-14-44.jpeg

Front view.
upload_2018-5-27_22-15-46.jpeg

Right side. Note the left side adjacent to the rear. This for some reason was hard to line up. Not sure why. However, I was able to make it work.
upload_2018-5-27_22-16-5.jpeg

Back view.
upload_2018-5-27_22-16-48.jpeg

2nd mid level added.
upload_2018-5-27_22-17-46.jpeg

Back view.
upload_2018-5-27_22-18-23.jpeg

Right side.
upload_2018-5-27_22-20-9.jpeg

Front view. When you are nearly finished it should look like a "turtle shell".
upload_2018-5-27_22-20-43.jpeg

Left side. Top has been installed.
upload_2018-5-27_22-24-11.jpeg

Back view.
upload_2018-5-27_22-24-59.jpeg

Right side.
upload_2018-5-27_22-25-21.jpeg

That's it for now.

Sky Seeker