Fanfilm Axanar under attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
THIS THREAD is a STICKY. I encourage all members to sign this petition.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Signed as well! kinda harsh by CBS when most lemmings, ahem, people will be watching the reboot ST anyway. This is mainly by the fans, for the fans.

pittpenguin123

guys the only reason they are stoping this fan film is because they wanted to make a profit. it breaks the copy right agreement with any fan film and CBS, and paramount. they got around this by saying they where taking optional donations... till they found out that to see the movie you would have to make a mandatory donation so they can make a profit. one of the people working on it even admitted to making that plan. CBS is even saying that they might forget it if they remove the donations optional or mandatory. personal i find the people who made this sick people who tried to make money off something that they went allowed to.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Below is a link shows a page where there is a column of goods bearing "Star Trek" based paraphernalia from "Axanar", no doubts, to support the film, but that is not legal, not without permission from the copyright holders. I think these guys got caught with their pants down and are about to get spanked.

I have seen the videos, really really like it, but I think someone in there is not showing all their cards. They keep saying on various pages (fans and "quotes" in the commentary) that CBS/Paramount is suing them because they thought it was so good, or because they are coming out with something similar. If that were true, a film like this could mess with the time line intended, there are a lot of issues, but goes to show you, make something derivative, then want to charge money, you're asking for trouble.

Reminds me of people who makes paper models and claim rights when they have absolutely none, unless they actually got the rights, and I have seen virtually no evidence on any paper model I have seen on this and a couple of other forums.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axanar#/

I am closing this thread and un-sticking it till the truth comes out. After reading the "Non answer" by the executive producer of "Axanar", I come away with the feeling they are making a derivative copy of something so well established, the idea of asking one cent for anything was suicide, and they may have wasted the time of many many people who put much time and effort into this.

Too bad they couldn't come up with an original story, and make something new. This remaking of old movies shows a lack of creative thinking.

Thread Opened

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I opened this thread because I realized I had not given others the opportunity to voice their opinions, I just did not want to seem that we, as a forum, we giving blanket support, till all the info was in. I wish I had not signed that petition, reading what I have read in the last 12 hours. Still, I like the movie concept, but there always has to be one bad apple in the bunch.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have not read everything on that matter but as a SciFi fan the topic is nearly impossible to escape. I took a brief look into the blog and what's troubling me is that there are some people actually getting paid for their work on the film. Well, I don't say that such a movie does not require any money. There are expenses like rent, materials for prop building, equipment, software et cetera. Expense allowances are OK with me (wood and paint for set building, entrance fees at conventions, parking tickets and such). However, getting a salaire goes beyond what could be called a "labour of love". That's engagement.

Just imagine, I would do the same and start a campaign to make a new model. I would calculate 10 bucks for each hour of work on designing, preparation, test build and instructions, a buck for each printed page during the test phase and some bucks for energy. Hum... Intriguing. I could do that, but why don't I? Because my things are a hobby, a fan product, a labour of love. I have fun doing them, I don't want to get paid for that, and moreover, I am not allowed to get paid for it because I have no rights on most of the subjects I'm dealing with. As soon as I begin charging money for it (even if it is a "service" such as delivering a printed kit or asking for a donation to compensate for the costs and time involved in the making), I would be in major trouble and leave the grey area of fan art.

In addition, I'm in no way so strictly organized that I would be able to release a new model every week (which would also cross that thin line between fan art and industrial production).

So I guess that this is the main complaint by CBS. The whole endeavour is organized like one of the big studios.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This is not a "Fan Film". I think they really blew it for themselves.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess so, too. I may be wrong though, future will show what will happen to the project. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
I agree with you Zathros, I too regret signing the petition. Big studio wanting to keep all the marbles vs actual breach of copyright with intention to make a commercial go of the movie are two very different things...

Any fan made movie/model/game whatever, is going to be breaching the copyright/IP rights in the most legalist sense, but I think most of the studios don't mind unless you're trying to make cash out of the fan work.

Afterall, a official 1977 X-Wing used in a New Hope will get most Star Wars fans reaching for their wallets, (George Lucas smiles) while a fan-made paper model doesn't generate the same exietment.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
George Lucas smiles
Not any longer; the Mouse is at the helm now. ;)

66169127.jpg

source: http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/66169127.jpg

while a fan-made paper model doesn't generate the same exietment.
That proves how small our community really is. :D

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
the latest news is that they have a bunch of lawyers working on what to announce about their intentions, having to defend themselves and the actors in a long court proceeding, and no more donations until there is a definate outcome determined as to whether or not they have to change everything or shut down. [altho, they say that they are going thru with the movie no matter what.] there is a defense fund people are talking about but i havent bothered to go find the website for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.