Extreme Trains On Right Now!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I really liked the one with the Acela. I would love to ride in the engine of that bad boy just once.

The episode that featured Horseshoe curve wasn't too bad. I was less impressed with the train as I was with the Curve it's self.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Yeah - been to Horshoe Curve 3 times.. it's really neat!! I liked oth episodes, mostly because I'm in PA LOL

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Yeah - been to Horshoe Curve 3 times.. it's really neat!! I liked oth episodes, mostly because I'm in PA LOL

My wife is originally from PA. I'd like to use that as an excuse to go there but most of her family lives down in Virginia now.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
My wife is originally from PA. I'd like to use that as an excuse to go there but most of her family lives down in Virginia now.

Neat!! Yeah - it's a great place.. I'm 6 hours away so we don't go there very often.. Same as you.. whenever we "Get an excuse to go" :D :D :D

e-paw

The show is definitely worth watching. I feel the same way about the host ,he might be better suited for one of those extreme make over shows.

Russ Bellinis

I have that series bookmarked on my dvr to record the entire series when it comes on. I'm a bit disappointed that they only did 3 shows. Surely there is more to railroading than a coal drag, a container land bridge from LA to Houston, and the Acela.

Mountain Man

I have that series bookmarked on my dvr to record the entire series when it comes on. I'm a bit disappointed that they only did 3 shows. Surely there is more to railroading than a coal drag, a container land bridge from LA to Houston, and the Acela.

Well, they are supposed to be "extreme" trains - kind of limits the field a little. I wouldn't even have included the coal drag, myself.

Russ Bellinis

I wonder how far back they will go into the history of refrigerator cars? I'm sure they will have shots of the newest stuff. I may "protect" the recording of that episode until I can put it on video tape. I have a couple of undecorated Athearn 50 foot mechanical reefers to kitbash into the BNSF rebuilds with the mechanical refrigeration section "daylighted" behind the dreadnought end, and a Carrier-Transicold Ultima 53 installed in the front bulkhead of the car. The A-Line modern Carrier trailer refrigeration unit makes a pretty good stand in for the Ultima 53 in ho scale.

Mountain Man

So far, they seem to be concentrating mostly on modern equipment. I'm still not sure where the "extreme" comes from, however. Probably the usually television hyperbole.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I found two things interesting with the coal drag...
1. When they changed out a wheelset, it did not appear it was fastened to the car in any way other than gravity.
2. When they dumped the coal cars out using the rotator, it was pretty neat how the couplers rotated in place, keeping the car being dumped connected to the train

Mountain Man

Tonight's episode on "extreme cold cherries" was disappointing to say the least. The guy reminds me very strongly of the Gee-whiz fellow on Cities of the Underground, which is not that much of a good thing.

There also appears to have been a major error in tonight's "reefer" episode - at the beginning we were told very seriously that the special building was to enable cars to be loaded without ever changing the cold temperature. Just a few minutes later the forklift operators have to hurry because the loading section is not refrigerated.

Well...ooopsy! :cry:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Im not saying the host is a good host, but im not saying that the host is a bad host either lol. I agree, hes a little out there, but the more and more i watch the shows, the more i find myself wanting to know more and see more. After watching last nights premere of the UPFE Reefers episode, i now want to model a full 55 car train :eek: :mrgreen: hehehe. There was just something about those big beautiful UP engines and those 55 white reefers that formed that train that just made me fall in love with that train lol. And to think i just sold all the reefer cars i had :eek: :rolleyes: lol

Mountain Man

I agree that he seems to be on too much caffeine but that very thing is probably what got him the job.

That has to be the classic condemnation of the entire television industry.:cool:

If it were up to me, I would choose a host like Peter Weller on the Engineering An Empire series. The man is educated, intelligent, articulate and has a good sense of humor. Best of all, he is not mindlessly repetitive about the simplest of facts and he is not constantly astonished by them either.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Best of all, he is not mindlessly repetitive about the simplest of facts and he is not constantly astonished by them either.
You mean like when they were approaching horseshoe curve pulling the coal drag and he asks the engineer what they were doing... going up the hill... WOWWWWW! Then they start down the other side and he asks the same question... going down the hill... Wooo hoooooo!