Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

Seeing your new additions to the DGCC&W makes me want to expand the WRRy's freight car roster, but I need more rolling stock like I need a frontal lobotomy. I need to get a layout up and running before I can find out how many cars are needed at what industry and to get the WRRy's rolling stock painted and decalled. Speaking of which, I contacted Mr. Cedarleaf and he would do decals in HO scale. As like anything when you go away, I got a lot of work ahead of me when I get home.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

I now have a boatload of rolling stock, after 47 years in HO, with what I have at the club and what I have on my RR, it is satisfying.

At your stage in the hobby, and in your Military career, you can collect carefully, since you have a concept for the Whiskey River Railroad. So

# 1. you will be building small modules so think about short cars.

#2. you won't need a lot of cars for a long time, so go with quality, invest in all metal wheel sets to upgrade cars you already have.

#3. keep an eye out for cars that come from your region, to help establish the look of your railroad.Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

SML A! 6 nw C & S cts.jpg I got the six new C &S shorty flat cars painted and assembling, lettering and numbering will come later: most C&S flats were not lettered and numbered, but these are in interchange service, so that is mandatory.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

haphall

Finally

I've been all over this forum this week trying to catch up. All I've been seeing are posts from years ago, good info, but probably not worth responding to.
I'm enjoying these 'current' posts. Good to know you folks are still alive and kickin.' Keep 'em coming. I LOVE the logging posts. Great pics too.
Hap (newbie here)
:inmew:

Bill Nelson

Welcome Hap!

Welcome to Zealot,

As you have noticed traffic on this old branch line is kind of thin, But Dr Tom and I like it here and are too stubborn to leave, so we are doing what we can to polish the rust off of the rails occasionally, show off our best work, and most of the rest of our work as well, and generally try to spread our misconseptions about this interesting hoby of ours, and help out where we can, and mess folks up the rest of the time.

This forum makes it easy to share text and photo's right next to each other, which makes explaining a technique, or describing a photo much easier than some of the other more frequented forums, so I keep plugging away here. any way we can help just ask . Remember there are no dumb questions, but I have enough dumb answers to more than make up for that deficiency. when you do stuff, please share, don't worry if you don't think your work is up to snuff; I wasn't born doing work like this. Lots of folks over the years have seen what I was trying to do, and showed me better ways to do it. I'm trying to do the same thing here.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

order cancelled!

I had a six pack of Bowser 55 ton hoppers with data markings only on back order from Walther's, and they had been discontinued, so my back order got canceled.

I was hoping to use those cars to augment my hopper car fleet, as I have been converting more and more of my wood burners to coal, adding coaling facilities at Harlow, Crooked Creek, and State line, as well as building the coke oven @ Montgomery Furnace , and the iron ore/ coal transfer facilities between the Narrow and standard gauge in ridgemont.

Those changes as well as the new expanded staging yard for the Southern interchange, and my determination to get two cars for each delivery location where the other end of the cycle is on interchange staging, left me short of hopper cars.

I ordered 3 3 packs of Acurrail southern 55 ton hoppers. I figure I will keep those on my home RR, along with the 6 Tichy hopper cars, which will get lettered for the J. E. Patterson Coal and Lumber Co., to develop an link to the Club layout. I will also keep all of my L& N and Georgia RR hopper cars, and my favorate hopper car, a N&W wwI USRA wood war emergency hopper, built from a Northeastern Kit. I keep hoping I will be able to find that car in an unbuilt kit, so I can use the instructions , detail parts, and pieces to mass produce that style car, as it was way cool. I built my kit back in the early 1970's, and wasn't smart enough to save the instructions.

That N&W hopper will stay at home, any others I have will probably go to the club, where hoppers will be at a premium to ride behind my Broadway limited Paragon 2 Y6B

At home I have been fighting the cold a lot playing with firewood ect. I did take rime to get one of the tender trucks back on #22, one of my little river 2-4-4-2s before I lost the screw. I have a screw missing out of the valve gear of #21 my ancient Gem 2-4-4-2. it had been run at home and at the club, the screw wasn't in it's transport cradle, and will probably never be found, so I need to start going through my screw collection and see if anything fits. I may end up running a fine phosphor bronze wire through the hole, bending it enough at the ends to keep it in, and painting it black. finding replacements for the tiny metric screws is a pain in the ***.

Bill Nelson

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
De-structions

I keep hoping I will be able to find that car in an unbuilt kit, so I can use the instructions , detail parts, and pieces to mass produce that style car, as it was way cool. I built my kit back in the early 1970's, and wasn't smart enough to save the instructions.

Bill,

I've had that issue too when I look for the de-structions to some of my rolling stock or lokies. I did find a massive site that has lots of instruction diagrams for almost everything, http://hoseeker.org/ . Take a look on there to see if you can find what you need. I had to borrow their instruction manual on the Rivarossi Heisler so I have a good idea how to take apart Doc Tom's Heisler.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

SMLA-1  F N & W wwi  W E hppr.jpg Interesting site, they have a few Northeastern kit instructions, not the one I want.

here is a photo, this is a cool car, click on the thumbnail for the detailed view. I'm gussing I built it in the early 1970's. I have no Idea why I cant find the instructions

Bill

here is a link to the plans; now I just have to figure out how to print them and het them at HO scale

http://www.hoseeker.com/northeastern/northeasternnwwoodenhoppercar.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML A-! Rchy flt #1.jpg SML A-! Rchy flt #2.jpg SML A-! Rchy flt #3.jpg I have started poking on the Tichy flat/ shorty gons.

These have lots of detail, note on the sprue the clevises and such. these are like the brake petals on the Jordan miniature models Ts- yes they are in the kit. but will anyone ever see them?.

also included in the kits are phoshor bronze wire to make all the brake piping. I'm not sure I'm going to include those.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML wlthrs order!.jpg I got my order!

The mail man brought me my Walther's order today, so I now have 9 Sou 55 ton hopper cars to build. that should fill out my hopper car fleet, and perhaps allow some to go to the club.

I also got an 2011 catalog, as my last catalog was an 08 . I need to get a new Walther's Catalog every three or four years

I picked up a bottle of Bullfrog snot ( a paint on traction tire) hopefully that will allow my #22 ( one of my 2-4-4-2's to pull more than half as much as the other 2-4-4-2). I also got another coaling tower, and some fire hydrants .

Right after the mail man came , the UPS man came with the replacement fan for my wood stove, which was eagerly awaited. it is supposed to get up to the 60's today, and down to the 20's tonight. I think I will go ahead and get a nap, and then perhaps install the blower motor this evening. I was thinking about mass producing hoppers, but the woodstove fan may take precedence.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Trainiac77

Did you ever see a 2-4-4-2 in n scale? I've been looking for one, but I think I'm going to have to try kit bashing (I know wrong scale thread but I had to ask)

Bill Nelson

I have seen one brass import in O scale, Gem made several runs in brass in Ho, and Oriental made a run of composite locomotives in Ho, cast boilers with an extraordinarily good mechanism.

I haven't seen one in N. They are odball engines Baldwin only made three or four.

They would be tough to kitbash in N . I have studied some possible kitbashes in HO, and there are lots of dificulties.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Two nights ago I painted all nine pairs of weights for the southern hoppers to match the bodies. Yesterday I installed them, the brake parts, the frames, the bar between the hopper doors and the hopper door closer mechanisms.

All that is left is trucks and couplers. the trucks on these are held in by plastic pins, and I am carefully de-burring them to facilitate free travel of the trucks or I'd probably be done. between these cars and the Tichy carrs I will be adding 15 hoppers to my home RR, which might free some of the ones I have here to go to the club, I will have to do a careful traffic study, figure the average daily need for hoppers, and then put twice that number on the RR, so for each deivery need ther is one on the RR , as an empty, and one in staging, as a full.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

SML KD 148 NFC.jpg New favorate coupler

I had experimented with some Mc Henry couplers and some other plastic couplers. they are not stout enough to take the abuse my RR with it'd sharp curves and steep grades dishes out to couplers. Nothing has been as satisfactorry as KDs, and some of the other brands will not do the delayed magnetic coupling trick that makes KDs so cool. When a runaway train crasses into a cut of cars on a siding, mc henry, and other brand plastic couplers will break, and Kds are very seldom damaged.

while I have sued some other KDs in special circumstances,, #5 have been the standard since 1968, when I converted to KDs, starting with shay # 15, cause I could not stand to see a pair of horn hooks on that fine looking machine.

as an experiment, I bought a bulk pack of KD #148 to try them out. They are much faster going in than #5s as the centering spring is integral to the coupler. also the # 5s take some tweaking, and lubricating to get them loose enough yo work well with the delay magnetic coupling feature. after installing nine pair on these southern hopper, and having them all move and center satisfactorily right off the bat # 148s are my new favorite KD coupler, and I need to buy several bulk packs. #5s in place I will leave where they are at, unless I have a problem, but new cars will get 148s from here on out.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML A-1 sou hprs all tgther fr the  lst  tm.jpg SMLA-1gegokas viadct.jpg The 9 Sou hoppers have hit the RR. they are photographed all together here. they will not likely ever be all together, as they will be divided into day #1 and day B deliveries . few delivery locations will get more than one . five maximum might show up in a delivery from the southern interchange, but since there will be two or three deliveries for the Southern getting all one days deliveries of these cars in the same delivery is unlikely.

Besides playing with those, I have been working on the Gegokayoosa Viaduct over Dugassi Creek. it is all together, and ready for paint. I have also been working with a Lifelike coaling facility, which I like, as it has provisions for a coal dump in front of it as well as in back, so I may be able to use it in places where I did not plan for coaling facilities, as when I started this incarnation of my RR almost all of my locomotives were wood burners.

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML A-1  ggks br.jpg SML A-1  ggks br 2.jpg I got some paint on the viaduct, and got it trimmed and modified to fit, in these photos the camera is at eye level for a six foot individual. the rail head here is approximately six feet three inches above the floor.

I will be able to get some dramatic mountain scenery around this bridge.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Did you ever see a 2-4-4-2 in n scale? I've been looking for one, but I think I'm going to have to try kit bashing (I know wrong scale thread but I had to ask)

They are bringing out new articulateds and other locos - try the latest issue of N-Scale.

I would love to have one, but it's too big and the wrong era for my layout.