Eastern Tn logging on the DG CC & W RR 1928

Bill Nelson

SML12 11 10 workbench.jpg busy day.

I got off of work late this morning , My relief was new, and I spent some extra time being sure she knew where the important stuff was, and what the schedule was.

It was raining buckets. I was hoping to get some firewood work done, in advance of the coming winter weather, but no dice. stacking wood in the snow is much better than stacking it in the pouring rain. a shame to have it get wetter, but that's better than me getting wetter.

I worked on the house instead, getting the red oak flooring almost done in the opening between my Master bedroom and my guest bedroom, which had been converted into a closet, but we have opened up. I also had to modify the door, so it would clear the new flooring. I also did some work on a sill between the bathroom I built the other year and the front hall. so I got a bunch of house restoration work done.

While I had the tools out, I also cut some wood for the RR , and added some braces to the sub roadbed for the new narrow gauge return loop @ Georgia staging. I also cut some wood for where I want to cut out some of the roadbed @ the Gegokayoosa to add a curved stone viaduct, for no good reason .

this is what my work bench looks like. The Broadway Limited y-6b is for the club, the largest Ho steam locomotive I have ever owned. In front of it is the 1st bark car, partly assembled. The Y-6b's were the last mainline steam made in the USA, and were very trchnically advanced, interesting machines. I weathered two AHM units for a member of the club I belonged to when I was a teenager, and I liked them, so when I saw a youtube video of the Broadway product I lost control and bought one. Now that I have fixed mine I will post a video myself.

The bark car looks tiny because it is tiny

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

Maybe it's a big power thing but I have the same affection for all of UP's high horsepower locos. There'd be no way that the UP would have visited the small towns of Wisconsin in the 30's-40's that I model and especially with a gas-turbine rolling through or a C855 in a passing siding waiting for my passenger run to pass. I've flirted with the idea of getting Rivarossi's C&O 2-6-6-6 too, but once again it had no home in the Badger State. At least the Milwaukee Road 261 ran in Wisconsin at some points in it's life, and that'll probably be the biggest loco on the layout. That and my wife can't justify me spending more on trains than a car payment.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

Tyler.

A digression as big as the Y-6b, and the strings of hoppers I got for the club would not have been possible earlier in my life. Having The farm and the cars paid off, the kids college handled on the life front, and a home RR that is at a level of completeness that doesn't require much of a anual budget.

I never thought I'd get here, but I finally have more than enough diversified geared power for the mountain division. With the 2-4-4-2's and the two consolidations in the work drawer, I have the Valley division covered too.

In the last couple of years I have got an acceptable fleet of HOn3 power, and got the rolling stock up to the levels needed for my expanded 3 foot outfit. I have one more 3 foot locomotive on the way, a Blackstone C-19 (2-4-0) on order it was budgeted last year.

This year , with an eye on future operations, I need to add a bunch of boxcars, some gons , and some Hoppers, so that I can get my Southern Staging filled up to the point where I have a day's worth of empties in Southern staging, and a days worth of loads at sidings all around my RR. getting that figured right is going to take some math, and I'm not so good at math.

Here in Clarksville the early snow all melted on the roads before the temperatures went to the basement. We went out to get my wife some milk, and it was like an ice rink anywhere the salt trucks had not been yet.

Bill Nelson

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

Hopefully during the time that I'm away, I'll have a chance to get some custom decals made for the WRRy. I would like to donate a few cars, once their done, to you, the club (both back home and in Clarksville) and maybe a few other modellers.

Also, have you got my emails regarding the 4-6-0 parts?

Tyler

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Bill,

It's just crazy seeing that behemoth on your property, it definitely has a home at the club and not on the DGCC&W. I think it's funny your lokie is almost as long as your passenger train. Now to get that beast up your hills and show those Shays how to make money! Six miles an hour yeah right! You could chug it at probably thirty.

Tyler

Bill Nelson

Tyler,

First of all Shays can do a full twelve miles an hour @ full throttle according to my dad, who worked in the woods with them while he was attending Yale Graduate School of Forestry in the late 30's. Dad having been a lifelong train nut, collected books on logging Railroads. When I started modeling, he put those books in my hands, and waited for the change. I didn't notice it much at the time, but logging projects received better parental funding than other modeling projects. Dad would tell me what looked right, and he would tell me how to run my trains. My dad is as guilty as I am for the insanities presented on my RR. I miss my Dad a lot, but I can almost visit him when I play with my trains.

Secondly, do you really want to go faster on my light rail? Over stub switches? on an 8.5% grade?

I'm looking forward to getting this monster into service at the club. I think it will be just the ticket for pulling the coal drag. When not pulling the coal drag, it will make a great helper @ the far helix, or up the big grade starting at Gravestone. As a side note it is louder at times than # 43. I am beginning to understand the folks who think that sound is annoying. I love it at times.

I'm ho[ping some day Blair will come back to the club with decoder pro on his lap top, and can program this monster, and we could play with the sound Cvs while it is running under a load, and customize the sound.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Shay vs. Y6b

Tyler,

First of all Shays can do a full twelve miles an hour @ full throttle.

Secondly, do you really want to go faster on my light rail? Over stub switches? on an 8.5% grade?

Bill Nelson

Bill,

I stand corrected on the speed of a Shay... I don't mind going slow on a railroad, but twelve is very slow for full throttle. And I know it has a lot of torque in a small package, but you get that and speed with your Y6b.

And yes, I would like to go faster on your light rail:twisted:. Someone's gotta do the fun job of finding out what the limitations are. I'm sure too that a 8.5% grade would be a walk in the park for that big ol' workhorse. Not that I'd ever do that, but it'd be one hell of a sight to see.sign1

Tyler

Bill Nelson

Train budgetting!

I give myself a train budget twice a year, and I'm at the winter budgeting > My folks used to send me cash @ Christmas, and my Birthday, and that would be almost all of my train budget. the Folks are gone, and I am self funding my RR now, but I'm maintaining the same schedule, and approximating the amounts.

This year with the Southern staging yard finally being civilized, and expanded; I have a serious car shortage I ordered 6 bowser data only hoppers (on sale from Walthers) , 5 gons, 3 flat cars , and six data only box cars.

I hope to eventually get enough cars so that half of my cars could be parked at delivery locations, or in the sorting yards and the other half would be in the Southern or Georgia Staging yards at the beginning of any operating session. Right now I have cars at the delivery locations and Georgia staging, but The much larger Southern staging is nearly empty.

last summer I concentrated on narrow gauge cars, and the two cycles before that I concentrated on Narrow gauge locomotives and the Y-6b and it's attending coal cars for the club.

Bill Nelson

I also ordered some NWSL steel replacement line shaft gears for the Bachman Shay at the club, and a BTS industrial water tank,and a brick smokestack for the Tannery Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

My e-mail tells me that my orders have shipped from Walther's and from micromark, so I got 1/2 of a staging yard of car kits on the way! Woo Hoo! also parts for the tannery.

Tommorow after work I'm planning on collecting some firewood, I went off into the deep woods near my southern frontier, and found lots of dead falls, and standing dead trees, including some black cherry, and shag bark hickory right up close to where I should be able to squeeze my 81 toyota 4x4 pretty close to.

I found some little trees that are just right for log loads on Tom's RR, as well as more mossy rocks, get with me Tom, when you are ready to harvest them.

Time for a nap, I have a hockey game to listen to on the radio in seven hours, before leaving for work eleven hours and twenty minutes from now.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

SML HO cr prts.jpg Car shops

Since the Southern staging yard is now workable, and the Tannery is under construction, I'm working toward filling in a car deficit, so operations will be more satisfying.

I'm working on bark cars, and I have also gotten two Bowser Southern gondolas, which will, with the tab system, allow one a day to go to the iron furnace @ Montgomery furnace. ordered, but not here yet are two Tichy low side hoppers, and six Bowser dimension only box cars, six dimension only hopper cars (some may go to the club). I also have 6 Tichy train group 55 ton hoppers in the works, which will probably be split between my home RR and the club.

Besides the two BTS open roof Civil War era cattle cars I am building as bark cars; I have another two I haven't started yet. I have one of their flat cars, and five boxcars I haven't started yet. These will all be DG CC & W RR cars.

So I have lots of cars to work on, another switch to splice into the Southern staging yard, and some sub- roadbed to spice on to it to extend it so it can hold one passenger train and three freight trains. Then it will be time to make lots of tabs for the tab on car operating system. I probably need to order a bunch of Evergreen styrene I beams, which I cut up and paint to make the tabs for the tab on car operating system.

They are doing some work on a roof near where I work, and I have snagged some scrap 2 inch dense Styrofoam, which I will cut up and carve to make some removable scenery that will fit between the new narrow gauge return loop @ Georgia staging, on the fourth level, and the iron mine @ Gegokayoosa on the fifth level, adding some scenery to an area I had envisioned as just shelves.

In the order I got I also got a brick smoke stack for the tannery. I will be lettering it soon and will share my technique in later posts.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML ltrd smk st..jpg SML ltred smk stk.jpg SML mkstk #2.jpg I got a one piece brick smoke stack from Walther's for the tannery. I painted it with gray and white, and then stuck vynal letters on it. Once the letters were on it I spray painted it with white and gray again, so that any paint that creeped under the letters would match the white underneath.

then I painted the whole stack dark gray . Next I will dry brush brick color on the surface of the bricks trying my best to keep it out of the mortar cracks. when I have done that I'll use an exacto knife to peel off the letters, hopefully leaving near white lettering.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML ltrs  unmskd.jpg SML pntd smk stk.jpg I drybrushed some brick red over the smoke stack, and them peeled off the vynal letters, and got the dirty white lettering I had hoped for.

If you click on the horizontal photo to get the increased size photo, you may be able to detect the vynal letters.

I have used this reverse stencil method to do a lot of signs on brick buildings. You can get really fancy and paint bricks first then partially cover it with with white paint, but the letters on over that and get the look of paint flaking off the painted sign, showing the bricks underneith.

By naming the Tannery Southside Tannery; and putting the name prominently on the smoke stack, I help establish the back side of Harlow as Southside.

Hobby progress will be shut down for Christmas , and the coming winter storm, I will report in when I have got more of something done.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SML   IRN mine.jpg SML  SOU GONS.jpg SML  trpn knb  grp photo.jpg SML mntgmry frnce.jpg SML TNry w smkstak.jpg playing with new camera

I'm playing with a new camera, working on the learning curve toward getting good miniature photos, I photographed some random stuff in the mountains.

The top photo is the big, as of yet un-named iron mine @ Gegokayoosa NC. on the narrow gauge.

The second photo shows two accurail sou rwy gons I just built. these will go back and fourth from the Southern staging to Montgomery furance, hauling pig iron, as soon as I can make the tabs.

The third photo is the woods crew @ Terrapin knob, posing on the stump of what was the largest tree in Gorre County Tn.

Next is a photo of Montgomery furnace.

last is a photo of the smoke stack @ the Southside Tannery in a trial position, I will need to build a powerhouse near by, and build a coal dump into that trestle underneath the hopper car.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
I'm playing with a new camera, working on the learning curve toward getting good miniature photos, I photographed some random stuff in the mountains.

The top photo is the big, as of yet un-named iron mine @ Gegokayoosa NC. on the narrow gauge.

The second photo shows two accurail sou rwy gons I just built. these will go back and fourth from the Southern staging to Montgomery furance, hauling pig iron, as soon as I can make the tabs.

The third photo is the woods crew @ Terrapin knob, posing on the stump of what was the largest tree in Gorre County Tn.

Next is a photo of Montgomery furnace.

last is a photo of the smoke stack @ the Southside Tannery in a trial position, I will need to build a powerhouse near by, and build a coal dump into that trestle underneath the hopper car.

Bill Nelson

Bill,

Montgomery Furnace reminds me of a town in one of my video games that I have. It's called Red Dead Redemption and basically it's a open map game set in 1911-14 and you have to shoot all the bad guys with a vast array of weaponry. Of course there is a train on the map as cars are too new fangled for that time period, most of my movement is conducted by horseback. I did find a picture of the train that goes around the game and funny enough the railroad's name is the Pacific Union RR. I'm almost considering making a tribute train and having that be one of the railroads connecting with the WRRy. I also think it's interesting how everything about the train is pretty spot on except for the roller bearing trucks under every car EXCEPT the tender, which has arch bar leaf sprung trucks. Even the pilot truck on the 4-6-0 is a roller bearing truck.

Tyler

Attachments

• 10_1_21_111-image5_4 copy.jpg
    10_1_21_111-image5_4 copy.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 10_1_21_111-image7_4 copy.jpg
    10_1_21_111-image7_4 copy.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 23

Doctor G

Bill,

Montgomery Furnace reminds me of a town in one of my video games that I have. It's called Red Dead Redemption and basically it's a open map game set in 1911-14 and you have to shoot all the bad guys with a vast array of weaponry. Of course there is a train on the map as cars are too new fangled for that time period, most of my movement is conducted by horseback. I did find a picture of the train that goes around the game and funny enough the railroad's name is the Pacific Union RR. I'm almost considering making a tribute train and having that be one of the railroads connecting with the WRRy. I also think it's interesting how everything about the train is pretty spot on except for the roller bearing trucks under every car EXCEPT the tender, which has arch bar leaf sprung trucks. Even the pilot truck on the 4-6-0 is a roller bearing truck.

Tyler

Hey Tyler and Bill

Those images are pretty incredible computer graphics there Tyler...looks like a fun game.

Bill your images are pretty incredible too and your camera seems to be working very well.

Tom

Bill Nelson

Hey Tyler and Bill

Those images are pretty incredible computer graphics there Tyler...looks like a fun game.

Bill your images are pretty incredible too and your camera seems to be working very well.

Tom

Yes, they did a generally good job of doing the train, I love the weathered wood it is a shame about them roller bearing trucks though.

I like the Pacific Union, I'm wondering if that comes from the UP's obnoxious period where they were suing model RR manufacturers who used their name and or logo without paying a royalty. I think they had started with the idea that they would get a nice extra revenue stream, but UP stuff just disappeared for a while , and modelers and fan's got P***d at UP, and ti turned into a PR nightmare.

Bill Nelson

SML tchy hopper  #1.jpg SML TCHT hpr prts.jpg Oh, and while we are at it some one tell the guy on the boxcar to get his *** down, he is seriously silhouetted, and that isn't good, unless he is a bad guy.

I also have been working on freight cars. I have a bunch of cars on order from micro-Mark, which are not here yet, I have been poking on a six pack of Tichy Train group 55 Ton Hoppers. These cars are beautiful, but the six pack was an error, too much work.

Click On the parts sprue photo to expand it, and check on the rust texture I get by mixing red auto body primer, and flat black spray paint, spryaing one before the other has dried.

I'm leaving off the air brake piping, and some of the brake gear, but there are way to many pieces for these things for some one like me who is trying to fill up the staging yard to get ready for operations.

In the first photo you can see what the scale thickness of a Tichy car looks like next to an average HO hopper, and the second shows one of the many sprues of litte details, some of which will be added, and others may go to the workbenches in the car shops If I ever super detail the inside of that cardboard building.

Even the basics of the add on details will take quite some time, especially when you consider the individual grab irons. I had originally planned on most of these cars going to the club, but they may stay on my RR due to the fragile nature of the scale profiles. These will be J. E. Patterson Coal and Lumber Co. cars, so if they stay on my home RR, it will look like we are doing a lot of business.

Bill Nelson

Last edited: