Double Diamond Ranch

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
David, the blocks are 1/8th inch by 1/4 inch. I am not exact at cutting so the length does vary slightly and some blocks have to be cut to fit.

Matthyro

It seemed to take a long time to get all the stones in place. I then used a coat of drywall compound as mortar. Once dry, I will sand it lightly then give the stones some paint.

Attachments

• r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 241

shaygetz

Originally posted by Matthyro
It seemed to take a long time to get all the stones in place. I then used a coat of drywall compound as mortar. Once dry, I will sand it lightly then give the stones some paint.

That took a set of brass ones to do knowing that, unlike styrene, you can't just wash it off. The drywall compound I'm familiar with should come to a nice finish just by brushing over it with a medium bristle toothbrush. It will look great if (when?:D ;) :p ) it works out.

jawatkins

I am continually overwhelmed by the projects that you put together from scratch. The brickwork on this one is so real. I'm not sure how you do it, but I'm glad that you do. Thanks for sharing all of your "labor of love" with us.

RailRon

This stonework looks great, Robin.

Although I won't build a stone house, the same technique could be used for a masonry pillar of a bridge or for tunnel portals.

I'll give it a try - thank you for lighting up a bulb for me! :cool: :)

Ron

Matthyro

In the meantime, I started with stable and bunk house.

Attachments

• r7.jpg
    r7.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 260

mhdishere

Robin,
Absolutely fantastic, as always. Once you placed the rocks, did you paint them then add the dry-wall compound as mortar? I'm thinking this technique would work great for a passenger terminal I'm planning.

Matthyro

Yes mhdishere
I did paint the stones with a grey/brown colour before I put the mortar on. Added some more paint after sanding the mortar.

Matthyro

The house with evetroughs and downspouts is complete other than a touchup here and there and will soon be installed on the layout

Attachments

• r8.jpg
    r8.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 221

Matthyro

The stable and bunk house is taking shape. From the size you can imagine this is one of those huge ranches in the west where a large number of cowboys are needed.

Attachments

• r9.jpg
    r9.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 222