DIs and NCOs, how do you scream?

RocketmanTan

Sooooo....I'm a squad leader for some new cadets coming in (essentially Cadet DI)...aaand already three days in my voice is gone...

Long story short, any DIs or NCOs here have any advice on how to regain my voice and/or continue shouting/projecting my voice effectively?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First of all:

:Congrats::Congrats::Congrats:

Now to your problem.

Do not scream, shout out loud instead. Screaming (= shrill high tones) overuses the larynx which will result in the loss of your voice. Shouting (deep and loud tones) uses the stomach and is much more efficient. I know it's hard to explain but it's a matter of training. Your voice is a muscle. The better it is trained the more powerful it becomes. Singing trains the voice and the way you breath. A speech therapist could teach you how to do it right.

I suffer from pharyngolaryngitis during December and May (depending on the weather conditions at my place). It affects my nose and my voice at the same time. When your voice is gone do not whisper; whispering overuses your voice and will slow down the recovery. Drink much (warm drinks are recommended, even warm water will do as will soups, mainly chicken soup), have some rest and get enough sleep.

RocketmanTan

First of all:

Now to your problem.

Do not scream, shout out loud instead. Screaming (= shrill high tones) overuses the larynx which will result in the loss of your voice. Shouting (deep and loud tones) uses the stomach and is much more efficient. I know it's hard to explain but it's a matter of training. Your voice is a muscle. The better it is trained the more powerful it becomes. Singing trains the voice and the way you breath. A speech therapist could teach you how to do it right.

I suffer from pharyngolaryngitis during December and May (depending on the weather conditions at my place). It affects my nose and my voice at the same time. When your voice is gone do not whisper; whispering overuses your voice and will slow down the recovery. Drink much (warm drinks are recommended, even warm water will do as will soups, mainly chicken soup), have some rest and get enough sleep.
Thanks!! Should I try to talk in a 'normal' voice? Also; their INDOC is still going on, so Mr. Whispers here still has to shout like all heck...

That said, also I guess we're still trying to find that happy medium where we've finally broken them down, and now we have to build them back up...any tips on boosting bootcamp morale?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Work at Sikorsky Aircraft for 10 years. It was always around 105 Decibels and you had to yell just to communicate. I talk in a regular voice, but I can talk really loud. Loud enough to make some people back down who thought they wished me harm. If your voice gets sore, then you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't have much air flowing through your mouth. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Should I try to talk in a 'normal' voice?
It is best to remain silent for the time being (when I get my "pet" again I have always a pencil and some paper with me ;) ). If you have to talk then do it in a normal voice and quietly. An otolaryngologist could give you some tips, too. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
When I was raising my son, I used to say "Use your inside voice', then he would start telling me his stream of consciousness. Quite incredible, he was only 6, and had developed quite a full Stream of Consciousness". :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Learn the technique of projection. I've been a song leader at my church since I was 13, and I learned how to use my diaphragm to project my voice. Effectively, I can use my normal speaking voice but be heard over a crowd of kids who are being rambunctious in a room designed to amplify sound. You basically just push harder with your stomach muscle as you exhale, which allows you to control your voice. And yeah, it also has the benefit of allowing you to be extremely loud yet not damaging to your vocal chords or your throat. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Also, as I sang in a Choir, and was lead Tenor, Baritone, and design speakers, lay your tongue down flat in your mouth and this will allow the sound wave to start from the back of your throat and form a solid sound ave, which will dissipate it's energy more efficiently, wider, and further, the rear wave being turned into mechanical energy in your body. :)

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
What is said here,
First of all:

Now to your problem.

What Revell-Fan just said, you must use your stomach to force the air out.

One quick way to see what we're saying is sit down, then grunt. Notice how your stomach does the work? Now using the same method, say Who out loud using the stomach like you're trying to grunt.

Now practice with words you'll be using, like maggot, dogface, you're lower than the worm-crap that feeds on whale crap, etc...

Comes natural after awhile. Was a Fireteam/Squad leader in the Infantry many years ago. Once you learn how to do it, you'll never forget!

Mike