Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Colouring up eats more time than a hungry sauropd eats conifer needles. Once I start I find it hard to stop until it's finished, I look at the clock and suddenly it's 3.30 am .
EXACTLY THIS! I was building up to 2.30 AM during the X-mas week to get all models I had planned to build finished in time. :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Once I start I find it hard to stop until it's finished I look at the clock and suddenly it's 3.30 am .
I know the feeling, i have the same problem when I model.
You go to work, after 4 hours sleep, looking like you've had a really good weekend, with your eyeballs hanging on your cheeks and you wonder why people are looking at you strangely...... :bulgeeye:
You tell them you were up late modelling, but the general response is like: "Yeah! Right....." :laughrolling:

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
Your 2D stuff looks 3D! :)
Thanks. When drawing, dinosaurs often break down nicely into simpler 3D forms so a ceratosaurus head starts as a wedge shape, the thorax is an egg etc. These little formulas are the basis of everything for me.

I've got to know these animals quite well over the last month and I'd really like to model them up for 3D printing, obviously they'll be purposed for my 'side hustle'.

It might take me a while to get round to it but I'd like to to pull some papercraft from the 3D models (like I did with the Dimorphodon), a papercraft Cerato v Stego could make a cool display.

Thought I'd try a wide crop of the Camaras.

deerx3x-826e1824-a902-4e7c-ba48-f20d53139f9e.jpg

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
I'd love to see 3D models!
I normally post my 3D modelling WIPs on the Dinotoyblog and BlenderArtists, if it develops towards papercraft stuff this forum will be promptly notified.
You could easily print different layers of the painting and turn them into a shadow box. ;)
I've heard of these, not something I'm planning but a neat idea.
I could see these gracing both children's books and school books.
You do FANTASTIC work!!!
Thanks.

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
You know you could post your 3D modeling WIPs here too. There's already some cool 3D stuff that has been posted! Zealot is not just for papercraft.

Have you considered doing a project along the lines of Dinotopia? Something large scale and wide in scope?

Someday I'd love to paint a large mural -- just need to find the wall space for it!

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
You know you could post your 3D modeling WIPs here too. There's already some cool 3D stuff that has been posted! Zealot is not just for papercraft.
My current 3D work is intended for my Shapeways shop so showing the WIPs would probably be promoting commercial interests which I believe is frowned upon here.

Have you considered doing a project along the lines of Dinotopia? Something large scale and wide in scope?
At the moment I prefer smaller scale projects. Never say never though :)

Someday I'd love to paint a large mural -- just need to find the wall space for it!
Years ago I did a couple, they can be fun so I hope you get the chance.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, you most assuredly can post any 3D art you are doing here.. We have a section called "Renders and Illustrations" just for that. As long as you don't post links for sale of what you're doing, we're O.K.. If someone contacts you through a P.M., do your business off forum, and we're still O.K.. The reason I made that section was for people to post work that others may derive knowledge from. I believe your description suits that sections purpose.
:)

Last edited:

Strick67

AKA Dinoreplicas
Mural update: modified the foremost sauropod on the mural image, it had been bugging me for a while so I replaced it with a new drawing. An improved head and more plausible forelimb pose. The head is a little on the large side (trying dramatic perspective like I did for the cerato) but I'll scale it down a bit when I put in on the wall.

dee68er-98c37d2e-9525-4adc-b86e-16e7a3450116.jpg

defcoq5-01d4e01c-7f6b-45d1-8915-8f34b64bdaa5.gif

Last edited: