Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Rough layout for mural, not the most elegant of compositions but probably OK for a bedroom mural for two boys under 6. My aim was to get the dinos nice and big in the frame at the expense of environment.

dedxczh-8650d153-904f-48d5-9139-9f674817b1d5.jpg

Might be worth going back to the older design with the stegosaurus in the middle and the ceratosaurus at the bottom, It had better layering from foreground to background, I'll see how it goes.
I like this composition! Works well. I think they will really like it no matter what you do!

Reactions: Strick67
I like this composition! Works well. I think they will really like it no matter what you do!
Thanks
The Cerato's non-pronated hands were the first thing that captured my view. thumbsup
Thanks, I try to get the basics right
He's ready to wrestle with that Steg!
Maybe he just wants a hug! :)

Well the lads liked the scene so I'm not going any further with alternative designs. Refined the drawings a bit, I've started blocking in a colour rough already, kind of bright and sunny. I'll push to finish over weekend.

dee2qg0-24e26b79-3cf6-4cd0-851f-2b33fa3ebcf4.gif

dee2qwt-e1eb111f-3508-4a17-9b71-846269b9da48.jpg

dee2r1h-e2d1ebe9-88ad-45a4-88e8-3eeef4afa677.jpg

Up till 5am fiddling with this. After discussing colour preferences with grandson No 1, the study came out like this.

dee68er-3736d159-0a38-44e1-a241-bb7669e0c33d.jpg

dee68su-15996948-523b-41a6-b32b-cd91e5fac7de.jpg

Had another look after a sleep, I think I need to fix the posture of the front sauropod. In trying to make the pose more 'dynamic' I put a little too much bend in the forelimbs. I'll adjust it when I'm putting it on the wall but I might fix the digital file as well at some point.

I like the stego's fin coloring!
Thanks, as a wee lad, Stegosaurus was often shown as green/turquoise with red/orange plates. There's a lot more creativity in modern dinosaur art but we wanted to avoid that old colour scheme.

The orange-ish Ceratosaurus was grandson's choice as he wanted it to be 'tiger-ey'. I suggested the blue stripes though to give a bit of colour contrast.

Absolutely amazing! Do you use a graphic tablet?
Thanks, My Surface pro is now my drawing tablet. I have an old Huion 610 tablet which is great but I can't seem to get used to drawing in one place and looking at another, the eye/hand disconnect just doesn't work for me.
How big is the canvas of your drawing?
Full canvas size is 2070 x 2462 pixels, not mega high but enough resolution to capture what I need. The close-up image is a 1:1 pixel crop.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thanks, My Surface pro is now my drawing tablet.
Very interesting. Do you draw directly on the monitor? Do you use your fingers or a pen or such for drawing? Is it pressure sensitive?
Full canvas size is 2070 x 2462 pixels, not mega high but enough resolution to capture what I need. The close-up image is a 1:1 pixel crop.
OK, that can be blown up to double size if necessary which would produce very nice poster-sized prints. Natural flowing lines do not have to look overly sharp, otherwise they would look unnatural. That is the main reason why the CGI of the new BSG was rendered in 720p and not in full HD (1080p). They tried but it looked weird. :)

Very interesting. Do you draw directly on the monitor? Do you use your fingers or a pen or such for drawing? Is it pressure sensitive?

I draw on the screen with the pressure sensitive Surface Pen, the device has touch too but that's not useful to me.

OK, that can be blown up to double size if necessary which would produce very nice poster-sized prints.

Might make good children's dentists/doctor's office wall hangings, I see neat stuff all the time in the doctor offices.

I won't be repurposing the mural image for large format print. What I might try is to put some other pics (my cerato pair maybe) on a couple of poster print sites. Who knows? I might get a few sales.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still having a go at this, nearly finished some more detailed penciling traced over this rough.

deehtah-e7c0840f-fd5a-4a60-b989-b32e776818da.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Anything I draw looks like someone who wasn't at good at cave drawing drew it. I admire your skills very much. I can draw technical objects, and get great perspective views, but can't draw anything organic. ;)

Reactions: Strick67
Anything I draw looks like someone who wasn't at good at cave drawing drew it. I admire your skills very much. I can draw technical objects, and get great perspective views, but can't draw anything organic. ;)

The drawing's you make are looking good I wish I was gifted with your skills :Computer:

Thanks, I'm surprised by the response to my 2D stuff, really encourages me to do more. Colouring up eats more time than a hungry sauropd eats conifer needles. Once I start I find it hard to stop until it's finished, I look at the clock and suddenly it's 3.30 am .

deelymt-e0db1406-f11b-4a7a-9bf5-4091c569fa95.jpg