Same method as I do for the dinosaur skulls, paint rough polygon layout on the sculpt then re-topo over
I never get precise with this which is why there's a few issues to iron out including N-gons

skeleton_warrior_wip_01_by_strick67_dg8sigw-fullview.jpg

Made some progress on the torso too but I think I'll have to shelve this project for a while to focus on other commitments. I'll sneak in bits of work when I can.

skeleton_warrior_wip_02_by_strick67_dg8sj4b-375w-2x.jpg

Kind of like a cage for 3 weird birds, a pair of lung parrots and a heart budgerigar

skeleton_warrior_wip_03_by_strick67_dg8sjem-375w-2x.jpg

Just like Barbie any decent skeleton warrior needs accessories.
Not sure how I'm going to do these yet. Hard surface modelling not really my thing, prefer making organic stuff.

skeleton_warrior_wip_04_by_strick67_dga9nb1-pre.jpg

Don't know if I'm going with a Xiphos or Kopis style sword but I'm not going to get too hung up on historical accuracy. Also want items to be a bit beat up. I could be wrong but I don't think skeletons are known for maintaining their equipment :).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This looks great!

Not sure how I'm going to do these yet. Hard surface modelling not really my thing, prefer making organic stuff.
It's exactly the opposite with me. I prefer making symmetrical mechanic designs (and I'm really not good at making tubes which bend in mid-air...). :biggrin:

Made these in the style of game asset
Figured a shield on left arm might take more cuts toward the 10 o' clock position, no idea how plausible it's purely a creative decision
The right side image is the same low poly object with normals baked from the sculpt versions

Is rusty sword a euphemism for a medical condition? ;)

skeleton_warrior_wip_06_by_strick67_dgb6fj3-pre.jpg

Thought I'd put the low poly props on Blender Market as a standalone product.

Realtime version on sketchfab-

I’m not fully down with this PBR texturing malarkey yet, I went with ‘metallic workflow’, might try specular next time. I like the way PBR surfaces look similar in diff renderers. Did some renders for the product page.

fantasy_sword_and_shield___render_1_by_strick67_dgbuhq3-pre.jpg

fantasy_sword_and_shield_render_5_by_strick67_dgbuv5p-pre.jpg

dgbuugb-2c979c5d-6c00-4b6d-88ec-a29df6c6811f.gif

fantasy_sword_and_shield_render_7_by_strick67_dgbuwam-414w-2x.jpg

sword_and_shield_blender_2_by_strick67_dgbuvo9-pre.jpg

fantasy_sword_and_shield_render_6_by_strick67_dgbuw1v-pre.jpg

Got a surface going, as usual a lot of the effect is coming from the normal map

A 4096px image is driving colour-ramps for colour, specular and roughness. It's a mix of baked ambient occlusion and hand painting, some proc noise too. Specular is kind of optional but it does add some lighting depth

Will bake this out to maps for Blender Market version

skeleton_warrior_wip_10a_by_strick67_dgi703k-pre.jpg

skeleton_warrior_wip_10b_by_strick67_dgi70ou-pre.jpg