Death Star dilemma

Chadepotts1273

Hello, this is the first time I've been on since joining a few months ago. I am currently working on the Death Star model from PaperStarships. Does anyone know where or if I can find instructions for this model? It seems pretty common sense, but I've already run into a few issues, like getting the parts to line up at the poles. I'm using an old globe to overlay it on to help with the curvature. It's not off by too far yet, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Millenniumfalsehood

Unfortunately, I don't think instructions will help you in this case. All the parts are identical, so it's not like you're missing anything without instructions. It's just a matter of experience with things like this. So, let me share my experience with you: I'd assemble it from the top down like globes are, with all the pieces joined at the top. Work your way down to the equator, keeping things as even as possible. This will depend on how well you aligned the parts at the pole, so try to get that critical area as perfect as humanly possible. Otherwise, things will be out of sync and the parts will be out of alignment by a significant margin by the time you get to the equator. When you get the half-spheres finished, laminate an additional layer of paper on the inside to keep their shapes. You can use regular printer paper for this, and then just glue strips of it on the inside, following the lines of curvature. And after that, just assemble the equatorial trench and put the half-spheres on either side of it.

Chadepotts1273

Thanks for the assist! Don't know why, but I started at the equator region & worked my way up. I get so excited when starting a new model & sometimes get in too big of a hurry. Fortunately, I only have a small part of a half sphere done. My wife really frowns on me re-printing parts I've messed up, as color ink is very precious in our household. So I thought I'd better ask for help before going any further. The way you described sounds much better. Thanks again!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That's better advice than I could ever have given! Great job helping! :)