Dan's Layout

Dan85

Hello all, I'm new here and I figured I'd post some pictures from my layout. It's a U shaped layout that is built in 4' long by 2' wide sections. So far it's 8'x8'x12' around the living room of my apartment.

While the entire layout is fictional, it is set in the present day and serviced by Conrail. I didn't do a whole lot of planning on the layout; I made my space and worked the buildings and track plans into it as they seemed fit. One result of this that the layout changes quite frequently until I find that perfect fit. Most of the layout is simply roughed out, when I get a section mostly complete I will go back and finish off the details.

Anyways, here's a few shots. I will provide more when my battery charges.

Picture200967crop.jpg

Picture200915crop.jpg

DSC_0002crop.jpg

DSC_0003crop.jpg

Dan85

Some rolling stock + power

Picture199811crop.jpg

Picture199798crop.jpg

Picture19781crop.jpg

Unfortunately due to the tight curves, I don't thing the SD-40s will really work all that well..soo yeah..that was an oversight on my part. Anyone looking for CR Sd-40s? lol

- Dan

jesso

Wow! Your building are nice and weathered well. Your rolling stock and engines look nice. I really like that track right next to the building, it is a great looking scene. Thanks for sharing!

Dan85

Thanks guys!

I wanted some tight maneuvering on my layout and a bunch of street running too. Unfortunately I got too close in the 2nd picture - there's a string of 2 boxcars, where the silver top one is, the track and building are too close to pass by. The building is pretty much set as is the track, so that will be my little secret, lol.

cnw1961

Thank you for posting these pics as I love urban scenes. You did a great job. It is a well known phenomenon that a layout changes quite frequently, can’t do anything against it, even if a lot of planning is involved (I know what I am talking about :p). Can’t wait to see more :thumb:.

Dan85

Thanks!

I guess in my case it's a bit ironic since I'm studying urban planning - you figure I'd hit the nail on the head the first time? lol

cnw1961

Too much planning only gets in the way of creativity :twisted:, and what looks good in a plan does not necessarily look as good as a model. BTW, if you love urban scenes and street running, do you know the site about Chicago’s North Side switching ? Very inspirering. http://chicagoswitching.com/v5/

Dan85

Too much planning only gets in the way of creativity :twisted:, and what looks good in a plan does not necessarily look as good as a model. BTW, if you love urban scenes and street running, do you know the site about Chicago’s North Side switching ? Very inspirering. http://chicagoswitching.com/v5/

Thanks I did not know about that site, I will have to check it out!

In the May 1998 Issue of MR they did a story on an n scale layout called "switching Chicago's north side" and once I saw that piece, I was hooked. I hadn't thought to go search for protoypical info on it. But since then, I always envisioned any layout I did to be similar in design to that layout - still have the issue and refer to it for inspiration.

- Dan

Picture # 7, with a rural type road next to the tracks, with more tracks to the right and lower; that picture blew my mind. Possibly, when you "sowed" the grass, some of it got on the road. Exactly the way twigs and leaves would look. I don't know if you did it purposefully or by accident, but it looks absolutely and totally realistic. Fantabulous. Everything else is great, but that was the greatest, to me anyway. That little extra touch.

Lynn

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Great looking stuff Dan! The finished sections look very realistic and the sections under construction make me want to see updates! Keep us posted about this fine looking model railroad!
Ralph

sgtcarl

Great work, Dan! I especially like the over pass. Is that scratch built? Lookin' very good!! :thumb: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
(I'd LOVE to have a whole fleet of SD40's!) :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dan85

Thanks again everyone -

Lynn, glad you like that scene! I didn't plan the little extra details, they just kind of got strewn about from moving buildings around, lol

sgtCarl - I did scratch build the overpass supports out of styrene, I needed something that would sit at an angle as to allow a line to run underneath. I actually have a second one down the line with a little different geometry.
One of the neat parts is that the tubes are hollow and they are both centered on screws so they will stay fixed in position.

Should have more pictures later
- Dan

Dan85

I have a few more photos of the work I accomplished tonight

Here's a wide angle shot of the layout

Picture201200crop.jpg

Ballasting & Landscaping

Picture201199crop.jpg

Finished Product

Picture201251crop.jpg

Picture201244crop.jpg

Picture201229crop.jpg

- Dan

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Dan you do some EXCELLENT work :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Im speechless that you got so much in that space, and made everything look so great!! I love all your buildings. FANTASTIC job man, keep up the GREAT work and keep on posting pictures of your progress :mrgreen: :wave: