Curtis Steel

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Some of you will remember my old steel mill. I have decided to rebuild and expand it. First off a new coal dumping shed for the Anderson coke plant which is going through some changes. You will see I am using my favourite building material. Next step will be interior painting then the roof.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 332
N

nachoman

it's amazing what kind of supplies you can find in the dumpster. I just strolled behind the architecture building here at UNL and found loads of illustration board and wood strips from discarded architecture models. Hmm. Too bad I have no space to carry that back home with me on amtrak.

kevin

zedob

Wouldn't it be great to have a shop with a big chicken head painted on the interior wall.

Only a model railroader from the Gauge would get it.

Matthyro

Zedob the poor old chicken succombed from the inordinate amounts of coal dust.

The shed is finished and ready to be installed.

Thanks for your support guys.

Attachments

• cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 335

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Robin, you should have left the chicken and put it on the outside. Then you could have hit Kelloggs up for advertising royalties. :D :D

Matthyro

The coal dumping shed installed. Coal goes up into the coal crushing tower then is delivered to the coke ovens.

Attachments

• cd1.jpg
    cd1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 317

cobra

Looks good Robin . I'm looking at the last picture and am interested in your Coke Battery ...looks like a coke pusher ( yellow ) and a Larry Car on top , scratchbuilt , I'm sure .Nice work .

Neil

Matthyro

Neil, not sure of the proper name but this first photo is an electrically driven unit that delivers crushed coal to the coke ovens

Attachments

• cm.jpg
    cm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 344

Matthyro

This photo shows the unit that pushes the red hot coke from the oven with that pusher arm. The coke falls into a hopper on the other side and is the moved to the quenching tower to cool it down. I believe this would be a diesel driven unit to have enough power to do the job.
Both units are scrachbuilt as are the ovens using mostly cardboard.

Attachments

• cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 317

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's beautiful stuff Robin, did you use the plans in Model Railroader from a few years back...I think I recognise these strcutres.
Ralph

Matthyro

Yes Ralph. It was an article written by Dean Freytag. Can't remember which issue though.

Jac's Lines

Robin, It's been said by others before, but I'm consistently amazed at the high quality and detail that you achieve with cereal boxes. An excellent structure again!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Robin, is that ALL cereal board? Geeze, that's really good work whatever you used.:thumb: I had to look twice thinking you were showing a protoype picture.:wave::wave:

cobra

Robin , I'll be seeing The Master , Dean Freytag , in a couple of weeks at an Ohio Steel Modellers Meet . We will all be touring his layout ( I saw it last year Too ) . Dean is in his early 80's now and is great fun to be with and talk to ....always helpful . He arranged for me to get the Plastruct Sintering Plant False Front Kit that is sort of ' scratchbuilt with instructions ' . I'm almost done that kit .
You've done a great job in capturing the essence of the Coke Plant in a small space . Great Work .

Neil

Matthyro

Neil, when you see Dean pass on my thanks to him for the inspiration he has given me in particular and to many others as well and for his excellent photos and info about steel mills.