Cradles for childbirth

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My colleague (the Star Wars fan) became a father of twins last week. Everyone is fine and the little family is back home by now. To celebrate this auspicious occasion my mom and I have decided to build two cradles for them, one for each boy. The pattern came from an old magazine and was hand-drawn, that meant a lot of trial and error manufacturing the parts. Fortunately there was enough wiggle room because the parts are mainly laminated to each other.

DSCF8942.jpg

These are the parts. All of them were laminated to another layer of paper to increase stability. Several parts need to be cut out several times. The heart cutouts were extremely misshapen so that we had to make new ones which looked better. They are not symmetrical but look way better than on the pattern sheet.

DSCF8943.jpg

We build several little ribbons with a fork. The technique can be see here:

DSCF8948.jpg

Some gold paper was cut to two ribbons.

DSCF8947.jpg

The main parts were laminated on top of each other to produce two fronts and two back sides which looked like in the picture above.

DSCF8949.jpg

One front and one back side were connected with a triangular trapezoid which was narrower on top than on the bottom.

DSCF8950.jpg

This shape too was mainly guesstimated. The bottom was a bit longer so that it could be curved.

DSCF8959.jpg

A flap on one side was punched through to accomodate a ribbon which would later allow the bottom to be opened and closed. The small ribbons were attached.

DSCF8967.jpg

DSCF8970.jpg

DSCF8962.jpg

We got two rompers for the kids which we put inside the finished cradles. The box was a leftover piece of some parcel which was laminated with wrapping paper. And if you look carefully you can already see a little fellow which was a leftover from a previous project..! ;)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DSCF8976.jpg

Yep, it is the little hedgehog from Canon that came with the hedgehog in the chimney papercraft which I modified for my other colleague. However, since it was supposed to sit inside a chimney it did not have a belly and no hindlegs. Hmm. My mom wanted me to close the open belly and to add some legs. I told her, let's try something different. Let's put some cotton inside.

DSCF8977.jpg

Now that was an ingenious idea because after stuffing the paper animal it suddenly looked like a real hedgehog with his soft belly.

DSCF8978.jpg

We decided to leave him this way. Now it looks as if he is sitting on his bum, looking up. No need for further mods. :)

DSCF8972.jpg

I printed out some tags to make clear that each of the cradles belonged to one of the boys. At first we wanted to write the full names on them but we quickly found out that space was an issue. So we only took the first letter.

DSCF8973.jpg

A first test setup:

DSCF8974.jpg

DSCF8975.jpg

DSCF8979.jpg

DSCF8980.jpg

DSCF8981.jpg

:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some beauty pics of one of the cradles:

DSCF8982.jpg

DSCF8983.jpg

DSCF8984.jpg

DSCF8985.jpg

DSCF8986.jpg

DSCF8987.jpg

DSCF8988.jpg

And everything ready for dispatch:

DSCF8989.JPG

Mom found a very funny greeting card which completed the set:

DSCF8993.JPG

Everything is now waiting at the office for being picked up by my colleague. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Your papercraft gifts go above and beyond. I hope they are as appreciated as they deserve.