Coupler Pocket for Custom Rail 89 cars

jbaakko

Huh, odd I never saw this before. Walthers has a product designed to replace the coupler pocket on Athearn 85'/86' Flats & Boxes. Oddly enough, it works perfectly for my Custom Rail 89' auto racks.

For those unfamiliar with Custom Rail auto racks, they're notorious for having the floor too far from the rail. By leaving out the coupler arm that comes with the kit, and trimming the bolster down, the car is lowered, but then it lacks a coupler. I've been trying to figure out what I'll do for the box.

Today I raced down to La Mesa, to Reed's Hobbies, in order to buy a paint stripper for a Kato F40PH (more this weekend on that subject). I wandered the wheels section to see if any Branchline wheels were in stock, and saw a Walthers coupler box...

Walthers #933-997:
Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 933-997

I bought it on the spot. I just installed the box now, and its PERFECT! It does not quite swing the full width of the opening on the Custom Rail Cars, which is perfect. There MAY still be a minor possibility that my choice of Sergent couplers might pose a minor "short shank" issue. I won't know until Frank finishes the re-tooling.

Attachments

• cr89rebuilds01.JPG
    cr89rebuilds01.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
  • cr89rebuilds02.JPG
    cr89rebuilds02.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 4

Russ Bellinis

What paint stripper did you buy? Kato is famous for having the plastic dissolve if you try to strip it with Scale Coat Rinse Away.

jbaakko

Lol, Scale Coat Rinse away. The LHS's don't carry strippers, except for this one shop. The owner assured me that it won't craze the plastic.

It hasn't so far, but it DOES make it brittle, I managed to crack the rear walkway in half, easy fix though, I just cemented it to the pilot!

I know when I head to the stripping container with MY Kato F40PH, I'll make sure I switch to PS Easy Lift Off (which I'll have to order).