Corellian Consular Cruiser "Radiant VII"

tiluchi

Hello people....

Here is my Corellian Consular ship... this one made his first appearance in the first minutes of the Star Wars Episode I: The Phanton Menace movie.

Its a nice and good loking ship. A little bit complicated to build due the many construction flaws of the model. Needs a lot of modifications in the building process.

But...here is it.

dsc02498j.jpg

dsc02499n.jpg

dsc02503d.jpg

dsc02507w.jpg

Takes a lot of effort and patience... but the result is fairly ok.

Tiluchi.

Bhelliom

That looks very good. If I ever get caught up on my own designs, I really need to build this one. I do have it printed somewhere.

Are there any problems in particular that you can point out?

Scott K.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice! Could you please post some pics of the engines and the bottom?

dnalor

Looks great....
a corellian cruiser would look great to hang on the ceiling of my star wars room (still to build)

when there is any space left by the time i get the room ready..:)

You show all you great models but where are the build threads?..
It would be great when we could see how you build them..that would help a lot.

tiluchi

well dnalor...im not including the building process because these are finished models.... most of my models have building threads, but those are in another forum in spanish. I did this one in december 2010.

Building threads tend to be kind of long... and if i post a whole building thread at once im afraid its going to be too long... so i was waiting to post all my finished models until i reach the current model in progress.

That looks very good. If I ever get caught up on my own designs, I really need to build this one. I do have it printed somewhere.

Are there any problems in particular that you can point out?

Scott K.

Well scott...with this one I can point out several....this one has a lot..and i mean a LOT of problems. Takes a lot of editing and improvising....

I found that most of the models in .pdo format (pepakura) out there are not perfectly finished. They have parts that overlaps and/or intersect each other...the thing is you have to do the modifications yourself... and most of the time you have to do it without any reference.

Due to this problem its all over this model in particular, i will try to translate the building process here.

Do me a favor... if you see an error in my english please let me know.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
For all of the problems that you had to correct, You did a FANTASTIC JOB!!!
KUDOS to you for a FINE JOB WELL DONE!

tiluchi

Thank you all for your comments... Im going to show you now how I did it.

First I try to find all the images of reference that I can find in the internet. This helps a lot.
Then, starting with the frontal section of the ship, I cut the tabs of the piece that become the consular pod. Here I apply internal joints, so the piece will be smooth on the outside.

dsc02410.jpg

dsc02411o.jpg

Once the module is ready, i work in the upper module. The cockpit section. In this piece there are some cut lines and some tabs, but i found out that those are useless, nothing goes there, they dont do nothing except to make the piece weaker and harder to handle, so its better not to cut this. Just leave it like so.

dsc02412x.jpg

Here I get carried away with the modifications, repairs and editing and I forgot to photograph some steps that mostly are the making of the ship's nose and others of some importance like the attaching of the consular pod with the cockpit section of the ship.

My advice... start cuting and fitting the module little by little until you see its ok. Save the parts you cut out... You may need them later.
dsc02440.jpg

Here you can see a detail in the nose that i made up with the help of some reference photos.

dsc02445p.jpg

Well .... this is the first 30% of the ship. I'll post the rest later.

Although this ship only had a small role in the movies I liked the design from the start.

Your build looks fantastic and I'm glad that your posting the buildprocess, this ship is on my to-do list and your advice will help greatly.

Cheers,
Elko

dnalor

hum....not completely..
also the Millenium falcon was a real star wars ship..:)
But his screentime was very VERY little...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
hum....not completely..
also the Millenium falcon was a real star wars ship..:)
But his screentime was very VERY little...
The Millennium Falcon was in Episode I? I remember the Naboo Dart, the Naboo Fighters, droid fighters, Maul's Infiltrator, droid control ships, pod racers, but the Falcon? Hmm... :confused:

dnalor

Aarghh..
i'm still searching...i don't find it anymore..
ep2 at naboo there it was parked.
ep3 it just left corusant.

ep1 was i thought also at corusant..but don't find the clip anymore.
so i have to watch ep1 again :)

Attachments

• episode 2.jpg
    episode 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 20
  • episode 3.jpg
    episode 3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11

Bhelliom

Interesting. One of those "Easter Eggs" filmmakers are always putting in. Still, I never heard of this one before.

Scott K.

tiluchi

Ok then.... here is the continuation of the building process. Now, the mid-section of the ship. This one is not too complicated, but it needs some extra work to make the modules fit in its place correctly. And to do that, you have to do a lot of guessing hehehehe... So, the trial and error method is the one to be used here as well. Just make sure the borders fit just right enough from this side.

But.... (and there's always a but) like this part is large, kinda flat and hollow (besides the fact that i'm using a 75gr letter size paper sheet) there was the lack of internal structure problem. The solution. Make one; a piece of styrofoam did the trick. Also it will be a good part to place the support for the display.

Then i just joined the two sections (front and middle) very carefully and that's it.... Half way thru.... The Cruiser is start to take shape and it can be handled without a problem.

Then... on the other end, I marked the area where the docking module will be placed. Here we have to take out a big chunk of paper and then see if fits ok. (Once again...trial and error).

After that, I added some tabs, so the mid-section of the ship can be glued directly to the docking module and by doing so it will have a sturdy union.
dsc02453w.jpg

And this is the image of a little detail in the nose of the ship that it's not included in the patterns but it appears in the reference photos.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3048/dsc02455yg.jpg

Next.... the tail section, engines and antennas....:wave:

dnalor

look this is a thread we can work with...
great, how to pics...were you can expect problems...

I would love to build this ship....
but somehow there are comming to much new ships i like..:)

tiluchi

yeah.... i know what you mean... there always are. jejejeje

well...here are the next steps.

The tail section.... Here is where the engines will be placed. And this is another large and flat module, in other words.. fragil, so it needs to be reinforce inside so it will be a good support for the rest of the modules.

I glued some paperstripes here in a zig zag pattern so it will provide some structure to the piece. It works... simple and light, but sturdy.
http://www.papelmodelismo.com/t856-corellian-consular-cruiser-radiant-vii#
dsc02458b.jpg

Then i added some glue in the other end and close the lid. Once it dryed, its perfect. I was a little worried about this piece because it doesn't have a good contact surface to connect to the mid-section of the ship.
So..

After a while and some thinking, I came up with this. Starting from the bottom, first I attached this two pieces together. With help of some supports I got the pieces leveled, then glued them and let rest overnight. Once this is secured and in its place I could do the other side. Starting this way ensured me that once the upper part it's fixed in its place, this one wont let the whole tail section, fall with time. But one has to be sure that the upper piece have a good hold to the mid-section of the ship.

dsc02460s.jpg

After everything is dry and ok... is time to fill the gaps left by all the improvisation and editing and stuff... now are going to come very handy all of those leftovers from the other pieces. See those triangles above the docking module?

Once all this is done, next step are the engines. For now..... this is it.